Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Mini long hair lop and young rabbit help! Also a Rex that is eating my home

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Rodstewartfoxybrown
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hello Bunfriends

Just adopted our new bun (Donna Summer) a mini longhair lop just 5 months old. This is the youngest Bun we’ve adopted so need some advise from my experienced friends here. 

We have 4 buns but this is our youngest one, she hasnt taken to the water bottle yet, we have given her a dish of water, she enjoys knocking it over more than drinking. Im anxious to get her bottle trained since she is a long hair lop dont want clogged tummy. Has anyone had success with a water bubbler like for cats or do they just knock it over. Any suggestions?

Has anyone heard of a lubricant you feed to them to help pass “furballs” ?

One more thing is there a carefresh/ hay alternative you suggest that sticks less to her fur ? I thought carefresh was the healthiest I had my 1st adopted rabbit pass from a kidney/liver disease and the Vet said it was because the previous owners didnt use carefresh and he sat in his own pee causing infection for 6 years before I adopted him. Could that really be true or we just dont know enough about the Buns we rescue…

Any help would be great and if you know how to stop a 3 yrs Rex from eating everything in her sight plastic, carpet, hardwood floors, vinyl floors, dog crates…she’ll eat it all. We cant give her toys or cardboard unlike our rabbits who chew and toss she ingests everything. Luckily it all passes but after so many scares and $$ vet bills is there anything that can be done? she is neutered like everyone in our house.

any help would be great..thanks in advance 

• tobyluv
        Participant
        3310 posts Send Private Message

Most rabbits prefer a bowl over a bottle. I had an American Fuzzy Lop years ago, and he did fine with a water bowl. You have to have a heavy crockery bowl for rabbits, so that they can’t knock it over.

There used to be lubricants sold for rabbits to help them with hairballs, I know one was called Petromalt, and maybe they do still sell them, but it was found that they don’t work. They only thing recommended to prevent hairballs is plenty of hay.

Regarding litter, I found that the pine or aspen pellets are better for rabbits with long fur. They don’t tend to stick to the fur as much as Carefresh or other paper litters do. Feline Pine and Aspen Supreme are 2 brands. For the most economical litter, you can buy wood stove pellets (plain, no accellerants) or horse stall pellets. These both come in 40 pound bags for around $6.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Mini long hair lop and young rabbit help! Also a Rex that is eating my home