Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Milo still having issues with messy bottom

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cassie119300
      Participant
      17 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

My lop eared rabbit Milo is 6 years old and a Holland lop. I’ve had issues in the past year or so with him and snuffles as well which has greatly improved, he’s no longer sneezing and I’m not finding as much snot anymore. I have actually been using echinacea as a preventative in his water, then I switch off to regular water in-between about every other week. It has been doing wonders for that. His current diet is about 1/4 cup or less a day of Oxbow Adult Rabbit Food, Unlimited Timothy Hay, and each night I give him a small bowl of Spring Mix Lettuce, sometimes alternating with red or green leaf with dill on top ( soon will be dandelion leaves as well). I give him the occasional different kind of veggies but haven’t as much since I’ve been having the issue with the poopy butt.

I clean out his litter box daily ( I use care fresh as the litter) the natural type, and I have his hay hanging in a satchel type bag above it. I have noticed at times he likes to fall asleep in there or he will urinate and poop in multiple areas of it rather than just one or two corners. I have to clean his butt at least every other night as it gets everywhere both poop and urine. His legs, feet, tail, and all around his legs and bits. I recently read that oxbow is using soybean, soybean hulls and molasses in their food, so I am wondering if this could be the culprit? and is this the best pellet food I can give him or is there another type I could try??

He has both really dry looking poops and some that look slightly darker but still a formed round poop.   I’m not sure if he’s just sitting on both poop and urine when he’s in the litter pan and it’s causing the staining or he’s still having issues with the poopy bottom.

Any ideas on what changes I could make??

Thank you

• MelM
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

Hey there! I too have a Holland Lop (about 2.5 yrs old), and I’m currently going through similar issues with a very dirty bottom (and paws). Your points are similar to mine. It was suggested here on BB that I try a screen for the litter pan, not sure if that will work with your buns. Mine spends an awful lot of time in there as well, despite having a lot of room and hidey houses. Maybe it’s a Lop thing 😕 I recently cut back on the fresh veg and keeping it simple as well.

Anyways, good luck!  And let me know if anything has worked for you…

• CottonTheLop
      Participant

Hi! So it appears that another person has commented about a same trouble on the “Behavior” thread — (they too have a lop!!)

Here is the link to that thread. The responses could help you there: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/mucky-bum-paws-what-im-doing-wrong/

I responded on that thread about my lop and the same problem. You can see my response there about what could be wrong.

The other post is about a 2.5 year old lop, and your lop is 6 years old. Depending on their health and genetics, I’ve heard that holland lops typically live 7 – 10 years but can live longer. The reason I’m telling you this is because he is getting older so I would recommend doing a trial and error diet to see what veggies are giving him poopy butt — he might just not be able to digest it or might not be able to tolerate it through digestion the same as before. I would suggest to utilize this link:       https://binkybunny.com/bunnyinfo/baileys-diet/        that is a link to Bailey’s diet from Binky Bunny. Bailey (a lop) also had poopy-butt so they tried a trial and error diet to see what worked best. Additionally, lops just generally have extremely sensitive digestive system. This is very common in lops. So, a trial and error diet might be the best option for you.

Please update and I wish you luck!

-breanna

• DanaNM
      5055 posts Send Private Message

Have you talked to a vet about the urinating? It’s not really normal for a healthy bun to get urine on their legs, etc, so I’m wondering if he could have a UTI or another bladder issue.

It’s true that some bunnies just have very sensitive tummies and can’t have pellets or certain veggies. You can try an elimination diet (chat with your vet first) and if he’s good with his hay consumption, even go hay-only for a few weeks to see if things improve. Some bunnies also do better with dried veggies and herbs vs. fresh ones. There are pellet brands that don’t include soy etc if it seems like the pellets are the issue (I believe the Oxbow Garden Select variety, as well as Sherwood and some other brands I don’t remember off the top of my head). But it may be easier just to feed a pellet-free diet if that ends up being the culprit (chat with your vet about this to make sure they think it’s appropriate for Milo).

Some people have also had success with probiotics (Bene-bac is a commonly used one) for poopy-bum issues, when all the other possible causes are ruled out.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• CottonTheLop
      Participant

Yes, I posted about the possibility of a UTI on the other thread similar to this because my rabbit had urine all over him and he had a UTI. The vet cleaned him off and gave him antibiotics & a pain med, he was back to fluff in no time!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Milo still having issues with messy bottom