Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A meow!! bunny!!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • lilmizzsnickerz
      Participant
      318 posts Send Private Message

my mum is moving back home with her cat omali i have a english spot/ french lop bunny and i was concerned to you think they wil be okay in the same house please  i need some advice

!!!

worried bunny mummy

• wendyzski
        Participant
        1312 posts Send Private Message

Buns and cats can coexist, and even be friends, but it depends on the personalities of the animals.

You probably want to supervise their first meetings, to make sure they don’t hurt each other.  There will probably be some scuffling and chasing while they sort out who is in charge.

Make sure the bunny stays away from the cat’s litterbox – the dust from the clay-based litters can cause respiratory problems.

• lilmizzsnickerz
          Participant

my cat is a bit of a hunter … the rabbit owns the house at the moment hes saposs to be 10lbs wen he fully grown do u think the cat wud eat him the cat has caught a pigeon and lizards before

• cookie627
            Participant
            387 posts Send Private Message

i would suggest that you would keep the cat and the bun at a distance.(just in case)

• lilmizzsnickerz
              Participant

OKAY THANKS ILL TRY BUNNY WONT BE HAPPY  HE USUALY HAS THE  RUN OF THE DOWNSTAIRS DURING THE DAY AND SLEEPS IN THE HALL I AM GETTIN A RUN MADE ITS BEING CUSTIMISED FOR HIM BUT THE GUY WHOS DOING IT HASNT FINISHED YET CANT WAIT THOU =)

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

How does your bunny and cat react right now?   How large is your bunny, and does he seem scared of your cat?   Sometimes rabbits can actually terrorize cats, but it sounds like your cat can also be dangerous to your rabbit since he actually killed a pigeon.   So you will not be able to leave them alone unsupervised.  If a bunny is scared enough, and being stalked by a cat, it can cause serious health issues due to stress – like gi stasis or even shock.

Here is a link to cat/rabbit introductions on the HRS website http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

We have a happy cats / bunny/ gecko household!  After having Jessica w/ the cats since Jan., I’d be very comfortable (and often am, unbeknownst to the hubby) leaving her alone w/ the kitty beasts.  Her biggest problem is she tends to cocoa puff and pee on the bed/sleep areas.  Maybe it will be better after she gets spayed (I’m waiting on my tax check).

I have had mice in the house…uninvited ones…and Phoebe my aircraft carrier cat has hunted them.  I usually got them away from her b/f she killed them.  She just played w/ them.  One of my cats, leashed, tried to go after a pigeon.  I feel that alot of the hunting is inbred in cats and their genes.  I would keep an eye on the bunny/cat relationship.  I believe it also depends if the cat is an outdoor kitty…mine are all indoor only!

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

I am about to adopt a rabbit pair to a household with cats.  The bunnies are going to be in an expen, and most of the cats are too old/un motivated to go after the bunnies (and can’t hop over the expen).  I also think it will be good for them to be in a pair because that way they can make each other feel safe!

• BinkyBunny
                      8776 posts Send Private Message

I agree, they will find comfort in each other as a pair.     Just be sure to tell the adoptee to watch that their cats don’t try to paw them through the xpen.   A bunny can get a nasty scratch that is hard to heal if it hits their eye, mouth, face.   Sounds like the cats are pretty mellow, but until they know for sure how they will react just be sure to tell them to make sure their cats don’t try to bat them (with claws) through the pen.  Also, rabbits can give nasty bites through an x-pen,so they could also hurt the cats.

One way to help ensure a safe way for them to investigate each other is to get some finer metal netting that can be bought at Lowe’s or Home Depot  (like a finer easy to bend type of chicken wire, and just cover the sides of the x-pen (about a foot and 1/2 from the bottom up )  It can be secured with zip ties.

This way they can sniff, smell and hang outt near each other without fear that they will hurt each other during the introductory time.

• lilmizzsnickerz
                        Participant

the cat is currently living in africa  hes is about 1 year old now and was a stay as a kitten from we got him he killed 2 pigeons and about  4-5 small lizards i am living in northern ireland with my bunny the bunny is quite big but not fully grown  i was told he could be up to 10lbs he currently isnt afraid of my naibours cat and i have almost had a heart attack many a time when the cats came into my garden only to see my rabbit chase the cat  the cat wil be coming to the uk in about 8  months time to live with me as my parent travel to much and its not fair on the cat  at the moment the cat has the kitchen to itself and my idea was to just keep the cat out of the kitchen ..but i wouldbe happyer if they could get along any ideas

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A meow!! bunny!!