Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Melrose

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cosette
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

My baby boy, Melrose, died last week at eight years old. I chose to have him pass away by humane euthanasia at the vet since his quality of life was deteriorating rapidly with illness and age-related complications. I know logically that I made the right choice, but I am beyond heartbroken to lose him, and I worry that he would feel betrayed that I made that choice for him. I’ve never had to have a pet put to sleep before. Does anyone have advice for processing this, or the loss of a loved fur baby in general? He was my sweetest friend, and he was there by my side during the worst nights and years of my life. I’m also wondering if anyone knows what breed of rabbit he is… I’ve never seen another bunny like him. 

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss. 😥

You made the right choice. 🙂 Sometimes it can be kinder to let them move on, and out of their sufferings. I’m sure that Melrose is very grateful to have had you as an owner. When I look at those pictures of him, all I see is a beautiful, happy, and sassy rabbit, that has obviously been very well cared for, and loved. 😉

They always are and will be our greatest companions, even when it seems as though they’ve left us, they are always there. Watching over you, and guiding you through the journey you set out here to accomplish.

We all deal with grief differently; it’s how we chose to move on that counts. Melrose loves you dearly, and he doesn’t want to look down and find you grieving, he wants to look down and see the you that he knew. 🙂 Surround yourself with light and positivity, find some ray of sunshine that brings you joy; that is the best way to honor him. 🙂

Smile 🙂 Laugh 🙂 Be Happy 🙂

• Cosette
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you 🙂 I really appreciate your words! He was so loved.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry for your loss, Melrose was a very handsome boy! Not sure on the breed but I see possibly see a little dwarf in him, maybe a hint of dutch as he has that white stripe down his face?

You made the right choice, as you know him best. While we all wish our buns will live to 15, 8 years old is firmly a senior bunny and it sounds like he had a wonderful life with you filled with love.

It is so normal to question when and if euthanasia was the right choice, but I do feel that it’s our responsibility as pet owners to make that choice when the situation calls for it. In the wild, sick animals are picked off by predators, so if our pet’s quality of life is gone and they are in pain without a path to recovery, I feel it can be cruel to prolong their pain.

I’ve lost a few bunnies over the years now, but was probably the most devastated with Bunston (the little brown guy in my avatar), who was about 9. Unfortunately I didn’t have the ability to get him to the vet as it a was late at night on the weekend (no exotics ER vets in my region) and he was in a lot of pain.  I found that it helped me to jot down positive memories of him whenever one came to mind, because I just kept replaying his last moments over and over in my mind, and I didn’t want to remember him that way. I also got a lot of support from the lovely people on this forum. <3 After I while I also felt ready to make a photo book of him, but it took me about a year to feel ready to do that and not have it make me super sad. A lot of members find it helps to post memories and photos here on the forum as well.

Again I’m so sorry for your loss. <3

(((Binky free sweet Melrose)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Melrose