Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Meet Bruce!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • brucethebunny
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

Hey there, I’m new to the bunny world and entered it a month ago when I bought Bruce. Ever since I started working at a pet store I really wanted a rabbit (I’d grown up with just cats and dogs). Bruce was in store for a few weeks, and as much as I tried to get him sold because he had a really cool personality, he wasn’t having any luck (I think because he was a bit older and hence a little bigger than the other babies). So, I managed to FINALLY convince my Mom to let me get him. She thought he was adorable, she always used to say no to bunnies because she didn’t want the mess. Anyways, here we are a month on and my Mom LOVES him!

Bruce is about 7/8 months old. He isn’t desexed at present, however I plan on getting that done soon. 

At the moment, he’s in an inside hutch in the lounge away from my dogs and cat with good air conditioning (it’s summer here). We are currently sprucing up an outdoor hutch we picked up so he can go outside during the day and inside at night to sleep and for play time with the family. I’m also looking in to some form of fencing to keep the dogs at a distance.

He is getting very spoilt at the moment and getting more and more confident each day. He absolutely loves his free range time, and he runs and jumps in the air (I assume this is happiness?). When he’s in his hutch he loooves getting pats and will close his eyes and let me kiss his nose. When he’s out the hutch, he prefers not to be touched so he can run around. However, if he feels like it, he will walk over to you and let you pat him for however long he feels like haha.

I, myself, am a 19 year old girl still living at home whilst I complete my university studies. I am a huge animal lover! My cat has met Bruce (whilst he was in his hutch obviously) and it went really well. My cat, Monty, walked over and the two of them touched noses, and after that he wasn’t interested in Bruce anymore. I thought it would go the opposite way as my cat has brought me a couple wild rabbits in the past…

Anyways, I have plenty to ask and read about, however I will keep that for the specific topics.

Cheers!

[photo inserted by forum leader]

• Bam
        16951 posts Send Private Message

Hi and very welcome! Bruce does seem like a happy bunny =) A high jump in the air is a binky. As you have guessed, it means the bun is happy =) Here’s more about rabbit language: http://language.rabbitspeak.com/did-you-say-binky/

Cats as a rule learn to distinguish very well between an off-limits house bun and wild prey. It can be more difficult with dogs, especially if there’s more than one dog.

• Azerane
          4688 posts Send Private Message

Posted By bam on 1/29/2018 5:21 AM

Hi and very welcome! Bruce does seem like a happy bunny =) A high jump in the air is a binky. As you have guessed, it means the bun is happy =) Here’s more about rabbit language: http://language.rabbitspeak.com/did-you-say-binky/

Cats as a rule learn to distinguish very well between an off-limits house bun and wild prey. It can be more difficult with dogs, especially if there’s more than one dog.

Tell that to Jasiri! lol. She really just wants to play 

Hello there and welcome to the forum Bruce does sound like he has a wonderful personality, very outgoing and friendly which is great Many buns are, sometimes it just takes time for them to come out of their shell.

Take care with summer temperatures outside during the day, bunnies are very susceptible to heat stress. I’m not sure if you’re keeping him in till the end of summer or not. I’d also suggest getting him vaccinated if he isn’t already. Assuming you’re in Aus (based on the season and the word “University”) then it’s just the single Cylap vaccine. It covers Calicivirus (the RHDV1 and K5 strains only, not RHDV2). Myxomatosis can’t be vaccinated for here, so if you’re able it can be beneficial to cover the outdoor hutch with flyscreen to prevent biting insects from getting in and transmitting the disease. Not trying to scare you just thought I would mention it Your vet may go over that with you anyway when you get him checked out for his neuter

• brucethebunny
            Participant
            13 posts Send Private Message

A fly screen is a good idea thanks! I’m looking at trying to find a cooling mat or some ice packs for him if he does go out when it’s summer. I’m in New Zealand so it’s not quite as hot as Australia but I will still be keeping a very close eye on him. The amount of research I’ve been doing on having a good outdoors hutch and keeping flies away and the right fruit and veggies for him, I’ll do whatever to keep him happy and safe. So I will definitely look to get him vaccinated too!

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it all.

If the whole outside thing doesn’t work, then I’m happy to keep him in my bedroom since him and my cat seem to be fine  

• BB8
              Participant
              101 posts Send Private Message

Hello! Bruce is so cute! I love his white collar, so pretty!
                I’m glad him and Monty are getting along. My rabbit I had years ago was close friends with my sister’s cat. Bruce sounds very sweet and affectionate. It’s nice to meet you and him.

• Azerane
                4688 posts Send Private Message

Cooling mats are a great idea Some bunnies chew them, some don’t. You’ll just have to figure out which category Bruce falls into

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Meet Bruce!