Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Medinky is ignoring me after return from vacation

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • poopy
      Participant
      684 posts Send Private Message

So its been a month since I have returned from my 10 day vacation, and Medusa is still ignoring me. When I walked in after 10 days, she didn’t even blink an eye, in fact she ran away.

Does this happen to you guys when you go away?

I know this seems natural, but geez I was hoping she would be just a LITTLE happy to see me when I got back.

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, my two give me the butt and the eyeball for about a week, but usually loosen up and go back to normal after that. I give them a few extra treats for forgiveness. That’s really odd for just a 10 day vacation. My she can hold a grudge.

• poopy
          Participant

I am wondering if she may have actually forgot who I was…..honestly she is not that intelligent compared to other rabbits, I think she was stepped on the head before I got her.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

After being on vacation, we sometimes don’t smell like what they are used to, and so they may not recognize us right away. Keep spending time with her and offering her treats and you’ll be her “new” best friend again in no time

• wendyzski
              Participant
              1312 posts Send Private Message

Look at the thread called "Sulky Bunny" – I have the same issue with my Pepper. 

I’ve had one day off since early August, and have been out of town every weekend except one.  Pepper is not pleased – "How can I ignore you if you’re not around to ignore"?  I didn’t have time to spend more of it with her, but I slept on the couch a couple of nights a week so that she could hop up and visit, and that seemed to help.  She even took to licking my pillows and blankets.  (how awwwww is that?)

I was home 2 weekends ago, and I saw her out all the time.  I was away again last weekend, and she’s back to the little sulk-monster again.  Only 2 more weeks of this!

After that I’ll be taking her back to Red Door to see if the prospect of a bunny-friend is a little more appealing idea now.

• poopy
                Participant

At least yours actually wants affection. Mine will run away and flick her feet if I try to pet her.

• wendyzski
                  Participant

Oh Pepper does that too – there are two places where I am permitted to pet her.  When she is sitting on her bookshelves, and sometimes when she is bunny-loafed on the spare couch.  The rest of the time it’s foot-flicky time!

• poopy
                    Participant

If I was a bunny I’d want to be petted all day long!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                      Participant
                      2517 posts Send Private Message
                        Posted By poopy on 09/28/2007 8:46 AM
                        If I was a bunny I’d want to be petted all day long!

That was the cutest thing ever. <3

• kralspace
                        Participant
                        2663 posts Send Private Message

aaawwwwwww, I fell off the chair laughing:

“honestly she is not that intelligent compared to other rabbits, I think she was stepped on the head before I got her.”

that sounds so l much like my kids talking about each other, “you’re so dumb, mom had to have dropped you on your head”……

• Vinnie D.
                          Participant
                          55 posts Send Private Message

Last time I came back from Vacation I got just the opposite. Nel refused to let me out of her sight. In fact when i went to pick her up from my parents they said she woke up and ran to the door when I pulled in the driveway.

This may be a good time to note that my dad tells me he now has nightmares about rabbit teeth. Guess she got a little bitey while I was gone.

• poopy
                            Participant

Awww Vinnie that is SO SWEET! I think I would cry the day Medusa ever did something cute like that for me. Instead I get the feet (flicking)

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                              Participant
                              2517 posts Send Private Message

I left Frankie with a friend for a week while I went on a road trip. She said that he always seemed to be looking for me and got all excited every time the front door opened! He just wanted to run laps when I finally got him back home! I missed him more than my boyfriend though, I swear! I’m glad he was happy to see me when I got back!

• poopy
                                Participant

Aw that is so sweet……I don’t know how Medusa could go from that (what would be a regular rabbit response) to plain ignoring me when I walk in. If something every happened to me I wonder would she care as long as she was still being fed???

• wendyzski
                                  Participant

She’s not ignoring you because she’s indifferent.  On the contrary – she’s ignoring you because she’s mad that you left!  (That’s what my Pepper does).  I mean – how can she ignore you when you’re not there.  How dare you go away!

Sleeping on the couch where she could see/smell me really helped Pepper feel more secure when I’m gone a lot.  Once I started, she stopped digdigdigging her litterbox.

• poopy
                                    Participant

I don’t know….she might be indifferent….because she ignored me too BEFORE I left!! I think she just has a witch personality

• wendyzski
                                      Participant

Pepper tends to go her own way most of the time too – after all, she has VERY important bunny responsibilities to attend to.  Mostly we coexist. 

But I thought it was wierd when she started acting out so much when I started traveling a lot.  I mean – she hardly seems to acknowledge my existance most of the time.  But she started tossing her littler around, and thumping and nipping more.  I thought that she might be sulking, so I came up with the couch-sleeping idea.  She is much calmer now, and even licks my blankets sometimes.  I figure that if she is licking stuff that smells like me, she must really love me but can’t really show it.

She will never be a cuddle bunny – who knows what she went through before I got her – she was dumped in a park at puberty and then spent nearly a year in the shelter before I came along.  But in her own way she loves me, I just have to look very carefully to see signs of it.

• poopy
                                        Participant

Where Medusa & Pepper seperated at birth?

She does the same things when she is mad….digging in the litter (only when she’s mad like if I don’t wake up and give her pellets when she wants them), digging at the carpet and my comforter with her forepaws, nipping.

I know she cares for me BUT I don’t feel like it is that much, because she was very affectionate to Pookers when he was around for 2 months. She NEVER showed him any rude behavior like she does to me. So I have seen how she can show affection to other bunnies, I knew if she liked me that much she would be capable of doing the same for me.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Medinky is ignoring me after return from vacation