Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Me. Be. Burrito

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • Twilight
      Participant
      44 posts Send Private Message

I made a shirt for Holiday. In it, his backwards front arm stays forward and he can run like the devil. Kind of.

I tried to make one for Fiesta. He bit me, chomped through my sweatpants and I surrendered.

• angoralvr
        Participant
        500 posts Send Private Message

OMG! That was ingenious! I wouldn’t have thought about that one! Is that a washcloth it’s made out of?

• Twilight
          Participant

It is a washcloth. When I was in Germany I bought some that are made like “mitts” – they slide onto your hand. I just cut it open, slid him in (this is the smaller boy) cut under his head and up around it and left a lot of the side on the area his arm would fit. I actually taped it closed around his arm for more support and off he went!

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

Awe that’s so cool. How are they doing?

• Twilight
              Participant

I’ve had a lot of wonderful info come through about wheelchairs for them (or carts, I guess) but I just dont think one would be feasable at this point – maybe later when I figure out how to give them more control of their front legs.

Both rabbits have pretty good muscle tone in the front legs, but not the best control. I still have to play with ideas, but their front legs (arms) can be positioned correctly without compromising them.

With Fiesta, if I held his front arms into the correct position he wants to GO and can. Without any support around them though he loses the control he gains with my physical correction.

• angoralvr
                Participant

Do you think something like that might help with the problems we talked about with weight distribution too? Kind of like an extra outside rib cage in a way? Maybe I’m stretching here but I could see how that would relieve some of the pressure on their little bodies.

• babybunsmum
                  Participant
                  3896 posts Send Private Message

well how cute is that?  awwww!  maybe holiday will eventually convince fiesta to change his mind. 

• Twilight
                    Participant

I hope I can find something to help with the way their weight affects the internal organs. I SO wish they had made it here sooner so they were younger, but they’re here now, so I want to start immediately.

I have two of these dog beds:

and I’ve been eyeing them for a while now because I know there’s something in the design I can work with. I just havent wrapped my brain around it yet.

• MooBunnay
                      Participant
                      3087 posts Send Private Message

oh my goodness! what a cute lil’ outfit! Thats great that you are already able to work with them so much. I think it will be such a great bonding experience for you and the bunnies, and you’ll have a lot of knowledge to share with people about handicapped bunnies.

Do you happen to know anyone that works in physical therapy? I bet they would be able to help you out. I’ll hunt around online and see if I can find any physical therapy schools or someone that you might be able to write too about it.

• Twilight
                        Participant

There is a vet near me who actually may be ideal for them, AND SHE DOES WORK WITH RABBITS.  I may run by her office today if I get a chance. If not, I’ll definantly do so sometime this week.

http://www.avafrick.com/

• Sarita
                          Participant
                          18851 posts Send Private Message

They have cat beds similiar to that design too – I’d just want to make sure it is low to the ground so they don’t scoot right off of the bed. The cat ones I’ve seen have sheepskin so they can be washed I would imagine.

• babybunsmum
                            Participant
                            3896 posts Send Private Message
                              Posted By Leaf on 02/05/2008 7:10 AM

I hope I can find something to help with the way their weight affects the internal organs. I SO wish they had made it here sooner so they were younger, but they’re here now, so I want to start immediately.

I have two of these dog beds:

and I’ve been eyeing them for a while now because I know there’s something in the design I can work with. I just havent wrapped my brain around it yet.

something like this?  excuse the simple sketch.  and i have no idea what it could be made of but maybe it’ll give some one an idea?

125333663171.jpg

• angoralvr
                              Participant

One of my parents friends works in medical supplies and has gotten me a few different knee braces. Your mitt idea got me thinking. Do you think that a brace that is made to go around the hand and the thumb might work for them? I know that they make some that are soft so they would be somewhat flexible. . . . Maybe a child’s size one? I’ll look into it and let you know if I think they might help at all.

• Gravehearted
                                Participant
                                2428 posts Send Private Message
                                  Posted By Leaf on 02/05/2008 5:52 AM

I tried to make one for Fiesta. He bit me, chomped through my sweatpants and I surrendered.

ha ha!  well at least it sounds like he’s getting settled and developing a rabbitude 😉

• bunnytowne
                                  Participant
                                  7537 posts Send Private Message

that is so great of an idea. wow ingenuity pays off and maybe fiesty fiesta will change his mind.

• Beka27
                                    Participant
                                    16016 posts Send Private Message

that is amazing.  it’s really great that they have you now to help them.  even if you can’t really come up with anything to make a big difference, it’s important that they at least have someone who cares.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

I seriously can’t get over how cute they are!! Maybe my BF has an idea of something that would help, he’s an electrician but he invents things all the time…I’ll talk to him and get back to you Only in exchange for more pics of those darlings!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                        Participant
                                        4293 posts Send Private Message

What a wonderful and ingenious idea! Bless you for working with them like you are.

• MimzMum
                                          Participant
                                          8029 posts Send Private Message

Is there any chance that some kind of ‘physical therapy’ would assist them in getting other nerve endings to take over the job of moving their legs properly? It works in humans, I dunno….just a thought.

• LittlePuffyTail
                                            18092 posts Send Private Message

What a sweetheart! I missed earlier info on these buns, were they born like this?

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Me. Be. Burrito