Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Matting help plz!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gingerxmistyxo
      Participant
      29 posts Send Private Message

Hi so ginger sheds a lot and hates being groomed. I get as much as I can off him using a brush but today when I’ve turned him round to do his bum check, I’ve found he’s quite matted around his bum and hind leg area. Can anyone help me on what to do? He won’t let me brush it and I’m cautious to do that anyway as I don’t want to hurt his skin. Could anyone advise what to do? Could I cut the mats out? Any advise will be greatly appreciated. He gets groomed once sometimes twice a day as it’s hotter so he’s losing more fur than usual. I’ve attached a photo for reference. It looks like he has weed on himself and it’s dried out. It’s happened quite quickly too as it’s only been a few days since I last checked (I’ve had covid so haven’t been able to get out of bed)

TIA

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Hmm the picture isn’t showing up.

If you pull the mats from the sides this can often help break them up without pulling the skin. If things are really bad it might be best to have the vet do a sanitary shave.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
          16871 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes you can cut vertical “gaps” in the mats, then gently pull the fur apart. Another method is to cut the mats horizontally, a centimeter or so above the skin. Then you brush or pry the remaining mats apart with your fingers. The matted fur as a rule consist of both “live” fur and “dead” fur that has already detached, so a lot of the fur will come off altogether.

• Gingerxmistyxo
            Participant

Hi guys Thankyou. I’ve done my best to cut them horizontally and have teased a few out with a brush. I’m taking it slow and at his pace as I don’t want to stress him out. He’s moulting quite bad at the minute. He usually does around this time of year and then around Christmas time and some of the matts have come out themselves when he’s been moulting his coat. Thanks so much. I’m going to continue what I’m doing as the matts are clean  . I want to avoid vet intervention if possible, as I don’t like the idea of having him put under anaesthetic for it (we lost his brother due to anaesthesia so I’m a big worrier because of that). Again thanks so much for the help. Greatly appreciated. Xx

• LBJ10
              16898 posts Send Private Message

My vet does sanitary shaves without sedation… but I suppose it depends on the bunny and if they will remain still or not. She doesn’t shave too close either. Anyway, sometimes it’s better to just “start over” by having it shaved.

• Gingerxmistyxo
                Participant

Hi, thanks for letting me know. I’m not sure if you’re in England or the uk but the vets in my area all seem to do them under anaesthesia. There is a groomers who actually groom rabbits and have quite a bit of experience so I am going to contact them on Monday but he looks quite good now that his moult is coming to an end.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Matting help plz!!