Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Matted Hair

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tr33hu993r
      Participant
      54 posts Send Private Message

So recently we adopted a rescue bunny, Bun Diesel, to bond with our female, Luna. According to the shelter he had been found outside. I’m assuming from his time outdoors he developed some matting. Most of it was just scattered small knots on his back which the shelter informed me of and I have been able to carefully cut out most of them so far with no issue. Still have a few more but he got a little annoyed with me after messing with him for awhile so I let him be. While getting rid of those I noticed he also has quite a few small knots on the top of his hind feet. He will not let me touch them whatsoever. What can I do in this situation? It isn’t horrible matting but I worry if left alone they will only get worse. He had been at the shelter since mid December so I figure if he was able to groom them out himself he would have been able to do so by now. Thanks in advance for your help!

• LittlePuffyTail
        18092 posts Send Private Message

For my wooly-ish lop who gets matted, I find the best way to de-mat is to use a small pet trimmer (you can get battery powered ones at Walmart in the dog section for like $10). Safer than scissors as it’s very easy to nick the skin. As for the feet, most buns hate having their feet touched. You could try wrapping him in a towel (bunny burrito) with his back foot sticking out.

• Tr33hu993r
          Participant
          54 posts Send Private Message

Great thank you for the suggestions! Will definitely see if I can find one of those trimmers at Walmart. He is short haired so hopefully will still work on him. He’s a really good boy and will stay still, no problems even picking him up. I went very slow and careful doing the first de-matting because I know that can be iffy to do. Most of them are under his fur so if you look at him or even pet him quickly you might not even realize the knots are there but there were a bunch of little ones and if you pet him for a bit you start feeling little lumps.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Matted Hair