Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Martha Stewart Show: Bunnies

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been working (ahem, cough, cough) on my dissertation and had the pleasure to see an awesome bunny segment on the Martha Stewart Show.  Most times when shows have bunnies, their experts do a really piss poor (can I use that language) job of explaining rabbits as pets.  They did a really good job!  Here’s the link….they even had, my new obsession, the Flemish Giant:

http://www.marthastewart.com/articl…=search_tv

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

That’s good because in the past they’ve not been very good as you’ve said.

Glad they mentioned the House Rabbit Society too.

• skunklionshow
          Participant

I was SUPER happy that they mentioned HRS!  When he said the best place to get info online was…I held my breath thinking BB.com  That’s what I tell everyone

• Ruffles&Daisy
            Participant
            265 posts Send Private Message

how can you watch the clip?

• skibunny8503
              Participant
              1338 posts Send Private Message

I’m just watching it now and thought I’d post it really quick. Aw I love Duncan :oD   EDIT: Just got done watching it, wow that was very informative!  I’m so glad that someone out there in tv land is telling people all this info close to Easter and hopefully there will be a little less bunnies in shelters this year

• Ruffles&Daisy
                Participant

That’s great. Martha is a huge animal advocate and I would expect her to do a great job with educating people on rabbit care. I love Martha!

By the way, there would be no way in you know where that either of my buns would let me handle them the way that guy was. He just grabbed one with one hand. Ruffles and Daisy would be like, “catch me if you can”.

Thanks for posting.

• skibunny8503
                  Participant
                  1338 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Ruffles on 03/26/2009 01:16 PM
                    That’s great. Martha is a huge animal advocate and I would expect her to do a great job with educating people on rabbit care. I love Martha!

By the way, there would be no way in you know where that either of my buns would let me handle them the way that guy was. He just grabbed one with one hand. Ruffles and Daisy would be like, “catch me if you can”.

Thanks for posting.

I was thinking that too!  I’m like “that guy needs to teach me how to get my rabbits like that!”  Archie’s getting a little better but he only sits still for not even a minute until scratching up my arm. 

• Sarita
                    Participant

He is a little goofy to me. Of course all those rabbits are babies too and looked a little bewildered which was probably why they were so easy to catch.

She looked like she was afraid that little rabbit was going to pee on her.

The birds are cool.

• bunnytowne
                      Participant
                      7537 posts Send Private Message

OH wonderful.   And that lady in the audience is writing a book about Mimi in the City.  I have to get that when it comes out.

that was a good show.  Yeah he just picked that bunny up with 1 hand like that.  whoa.  I can do that with Ruby but I prefer 2 hands for her safety in case one of us looses our balance. 

So great to get the word out about bunnies as pets and what is required in a short amount of time.  Hopefully lesson the easter bunny purchase with not knowing a thing about them.

I educated myself b4 I got mine but I was still nervous about how well I would do.  It was a bunny or a guinea pig.  I am glad I chose a bunny.

• skunklionshow
                        Participant

Thanks Skibunny:  I’m techno challenged.

I too noticed they were all babies…initially I thought how could all those buns be getting along so well?  Jessica & Oreo would have had an ultimate fighting smackdown on Martha.  That’s when my keen eye noticed they were babies & hadn’t gotten their hormones on yet.

I’ve seen that guy’s pet show b/f and he’s always creeped me out….he just looks odd or has an odd manor to him.  However, he has earned my respect by giving such good bunny input.  I know this guy’s thing is to have the birds on his shoulder, but I wondered how much that possibly freaked out these prey babies?

During the show, the front row of the audience held the baby bunnies.  It was really cute!  DH (who took a much needed sick day from work) commented that our buns would not have gone for that at all!  Jessi would have been off and running around the set.  Probably stealing Martha’s kitched knives & going after any human that crossed her path (sorry I’ve been reviewing stats all day).

*****FYI:  I just wanted to add that today on Martha she showed how to create a salad table (a table that you set up to grow all sorts of yummy salad greens)  I think that would be excellent for us bunny lovers, except I have a black thumb.  Don’t worry I’ll be back at work tomorrow and returning to the stats this weekend.

• Sarita
                          Participant

Her stuff is always so complicated to me – I love looking at her magazine though – it’s so pretty. She always uses exotic stuff though that’s hard to find and stuff that is complicated to make – it’s all so elegant and pretty though. That salad table does sound pretty amazing though.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                            Participant
                            2517 posts Send Private Message

Good to see decent rabbit info out there now! Even if it’s from a nerdy guy who rambles a lot

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                              Participant

Uh… what the heck?

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                Participant

and again. Wtf. Wow.

why would he continue to try to have 283748237 pets on one little table like that?!

• jerseygirl
                                  22345 posts Send Private Message

Timing of this airing is great! Wonder if there was some campaigning to get rabbits on her show this time of year? Or as Ruffles said, if she’s an animal advocate, she knew of the plight of rabbits at Easter and wanted to get it out to a wider audience? Either way, great timing!

• hooty22
                                    Participant
                                    606 posts Send Private Message

That was a pretty great show. I love how Martha starts it off with a “Don’t be an idiot and stuff your idiot kid’s Easter basket with a bunny.”
                                      I remember when Felony was a little baby like that and hadn’t filled out his mane yet… He would just walk around and be like “Oh what’s this? Can I fit in here? Can I eat this? Can I lay here?” And seeing that Flemish has really consolidated my desire to have one.

• Ruffles&Daisy
                                      Participant

Oh my gosh, that guy’s nuts!
                                        BUT he did do a good job on MS

• skunklionshow
                                        Participant

Digmex:  OMG!  I could have told him that monkeys and everything else is/was a terrible idea!  I also know that cats are as unpredictable as the weather in Chgo.  I’m surprised no one has been eaten…or maybe they have and that footage is “not available.”

I b/l this guy is  a vet nurse, so I’m sure he can afford for the ER visits after “animals attack.”

I really enjoy watching MS…but there’s no way in hell I could ever do any of her stuff.  My kitchen is the size of a dishtowel and I hate cleaning.  I live in Philly, so my yard is the size of a postage stamp and covered in ivy!

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                          Participant

Dishtowels and postage stamps, eh? Haha… new standards of measurement?

• MooBunnay
                                            Participant
                                            3087 posts Send Private Message

What a great segment I couldn’t resist making a comment back to whoever it was on the Martha Stewart site that said “the best place to get information is from anyone unaffiliated with HRS” – I’m guessing they were a breeder….anyways – I didn’t cleverly disguise myself, my name on there is MooBunnay too! haha

• Sage Cat
                                              Participant
                                              1883 posts Send Private Message

i have always been given a hard time for liking Martha – but i really believe the people who do he research, come up with the crafts, write the recipes – do an awesome job!

And, yea, that guy is such a dork – but he gives really good information. And he has had Dutch bunnies since he was a kid – he can’ be all bad!!!

You know how U-Tube has related videos off to the side – I could not help myself – I HAD to WATCH Snoop Dog & Martha make mashed potatoes!!!!!!! Hilarious!!!!!!

• Miyuki
                                                Participant
                                                240 posts Send Private Message

I’ve never watched Martha before but I enjoyed watching that segment on bunnies!  Thanks for sharing!  They’re so cute . I wish I knew how to get Inkblot to be that calm while being handled.

It’s so sad that people get rabbits and then just dump them off. It is probably best for those people to stick to the chocolate rabbits!

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Martha Stewart Show: Bunnies