Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Many little mats!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • kendall
      Participant
      63 posts Send Private Message

I have a french lop with satin fur with a bunch of mats on her behind. I have a hair buster comb, but it’s really harsh when I was trying to get rid of the mats and just made the skin irritated. Is there a different product that I can try? They are too small to cut out and they aren’t pulling at her skin, but I don’t want them to get worse. They aren’t a problem right now but they seem like they are slowly getting worse so I want to stay on top of it while I still can!

• Moonlightbunny66
        Participant
        694 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t brushed a bunny before (I get mine on Sunday) but my cats sometimes get mats on their backs because they aren’t good at washing back there. I use something similar to a flea comb (which I think is the same thing as a hair buster but without the rubber pieces). Just make sure you hold the top of the hair/mat above where you’re combing so it doesn’t pull on the skin as much. Then start combing at the bottom working up as it untangles, until it all comes out. If that doesn’t work you could use a bigger brush and keep brushing it (cats will tolerate that for a few seconds, not sure a bunny would). I mean shaving it off isn’t fun so I hope these work. It might help to have the bun on a table where it can’t run away.

• kendall
          Participant

OMG!!! I’m so excited for you, bunnies are the best! Thank you for the help I will definitely try that out. I normally brush them on my bathroom counter so they aren’t super squirmy but every now and then you can see them plotting their escape 😆

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

With mats it can help to kind of try to pull on the sides of them (rather than the end) and work them out that way.

Are they from her being kind of soiled? Or is she currently molting and there’s just a lot of extra fluff?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• kendall
              Participant

Thanks for the tip!

She isn’t molting right now and they seem to be a little higher up on her back in a place that wouldn’t get soiled very easily. Could it just be because of her fur type? She looks like a huge angora 😀

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

Ah yes, prob her fur type then. She probably just needs more grooming over all if she’s part angora.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Many little mats!!!