Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Malocclusion Teeth Removal

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Butterscotch and Harry
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone.

Just over a month ago, Butterscotch had his incisors removed from a local pet vet. They had trimmed his teeth twice for me and recommended that I go to an exotic vet and get them removed because of Malocclusion (here in Ireland). When I priced out the 3 exotic vets that were all over 3 hours away from me and quoted 400 euros, I decided to ask the local breeders, if they would help trim them. And they did for about 5 months.  When my local vet asked about Butterscotches teeth, I told them I could never afford to have them removed and he would be so stressed in the 6 hour round trip car ride. They said they would do the removal for 70 euros. This was great. He had the surgery and came home and was eating, drinking, and pooing all within that evening! He did great! The next day was like nothing had happened! He was so happy and more confident than I had ever seen him.

Just last night when putting him to bed, aka in his cage, I could see him rubbing his teeth on the bars of the cage, which and I saw his two bottom teeth, coming back!!!  I’ve not been able to check the top ones yet (he hates to be handled/and I get to0 nervous to handle him).

I just want to ask if anyone on here has gone through this and had the teeth come back? Any advice?

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

No direct experience, but general research (and savvy) does acknowledge that there’s a chance teeth will grow back. Hopefully something here can highlight some helpful considerations for you: https://rabbit.org/dental-disorders-in-rabbits/#:~:text=It’s%20important%20that%20the%20entire,rabbit%20is%20a%20serious%20consideration.

You should monitor how they are growing in and your rabbit’s reaction to them. It’s is possible you will need them to be filed down regularly and/or try another procedure to hopefully remove it all this time.

Frankly, I am suspect of a provider who charges only 70 euros for an incisor removal… did they give you a discount due to your situation? It is a serious procedure, and I am a bit cautious as people have different views on how to best handle rabbit teeth (ex. clipping while awake, clipping with clippers vs. grinding down…) and some methods are much more preferable and safe than others. I’m very glad to read Butterscotch recovered well though 🙂

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Malocclusion Teeth Removal