Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING male female bonding

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • shayna
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

Maybe some of you rabbit experts can help me with this.

I adopted a girl rabbit.  Her name is Quiet and she is a big girl about a year old. (about 10 pounds) Then another rabbit came to us and I was told it was a 5 year old girl, Kimchee, but she is super tiny (2.5 pounds)  Well, I quickly found out that Kimchee is not a girl, but a boy.  He went crazy for her!  I quickly got him neutered and Quiet spayed.  That was about 2 weeks ago.  Now Kimchee goes crazy (humpingand being very  aggressive, biting) whenever he sees her and Quiet is either passive or slightly hostile.  

This is my question-  does this sound like a hopeless situation?    Would you have them date?  Should I let him hump her?  Should I just wait?  how long?  So many questions!!!

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

Read some information about rabbit bonding. Male/female is typically the easiest, but it’s best to wait until the hormones are out of the equation, about 1-2 months. They will need to be put together for short time periods in neutral territory (a space neither has ever been before.) Many people use a bathtub for this stage. Start with just 10 or 15 minutes a day, and you can gradually increase this so they are together longer. In the meantime, you can have them in their two separate enclosures with about 3 inches of space in between. Every day you will want to switch them between cages. So Kimchee spends 24 hours in Quiet’s space, and vice verse. Then the next day they switch again. This will prevent them from becoming overly territorial of either cage. It will be a process and you’ll need to be patient. The quickest bonds are usually about a week, the longest bonds can take several months.

This is my favorite article… it’s very thorough…   http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

• bunnymama
          Participant
          161 posts Send Private Message

Oh yes give them more time for the hormones to wan down. I was told to wait at least 4 weeks before trying a female – male bond after they were altered. That will give you plenty of time to read up on it….

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING male female bonding