Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Low Lip Litter Boxes

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • deadneonflies
      Participant
      72 posts Send Private Message

Howdy everyone.  Zee is now 12 years old come Feb. She recently got a broken ankle and is having a hard time hopping around so I took out her litter box and replaced it with a sheet pan.  I previously had a low-lipped litter box for her, but it still requires her to jump inside it.  I am trying to find one that is more flush with the ground and am having a hard time finding one anywhere.  The two sites I found the kinds I was looking for, they are currently unavailable (and who knows when any WILL be available).  Have any of you found one?  I am currently in talks with a 3D printer who may be able to print one out for me, but it is more expensive than I had hoped.  Attached photo is of the mock up I made out of paper.

SECOND QUESTION:
        Zee has had extremely bad sore hocks.  We’ve been battling this for several months now and the vet finally recommended we use booties for her.  She is so squirmy that it would be impossible to do foot wrappings on her, so these booties were inspired.  Have any of you also used booties on your rabbits feet?  Photos show yellow bootie next to her blue cast.  Any and all thoughts or advice are welcomed.

-Meg

• jerseygirl
        22342 posts Send Private Message

Omg, Zee is 12?! 🤯

I’m sorry about her ankle & hocks. It’s a treasure to have a bun with us so long but it certainly rarely comes without some challenges for them & their humans. She looks completely adorable. Does she generally leave the bootie once it’s on? When I still had Gooseman, I had to wrap his foot on occasion. The bandage would eventually unravel. I remember looking online at tiny jelly shoes made for dogs. 😄

One thing I have seen to use along with a wrap or bootie is a foam donut that you place over the sore, acting to relieve pressure there. The vet that taught this used a slice of foam insulation pipe. If the site were small, I always wondered if a few layers of corn relief “donuts” would do… I know I bought cosmetic latex sponges in case I had to rig something up for Goose but I never did use them. I think they’d compress too much anyway.

For litterbox, I’d look to repurpose another item (like you’ve done with sheet pan). Look into types of potting trays in garden department of stores or online. Some do have a low lip at front but I’m sure I’ve seen some that are flush at the front also.

Another solution might be to find a slight ramp that butts up agains the entry to box with low lip? For Ailis when she had broken leg? I used a rubber ramp like this I found in hardware store. It also stopped her from moving the box! Luckily, she had no interest in chewing the rubber.

• deadneonflies
            Participant

Thank you for your suggestions!
              Her hocks are pretty bad, and run down the length of her foot.  Holding her long enough to gerry-rig up something extravagant to relieve pressure might be too much with her.  Her bad behavior while being handled is how she broke her ankle in the first place at the vet’s office.  These booties are custom made and include padding in them.  They form to her ankle nicely, and have a velcro strap that wraps around the top of her leg above the ankle so it won’t come off.  We are instructed to change it every week.  But that insulation foam might be a good idea.  Maybe I could attach the foam to the OUTSIDE of the bootie and make it somehow removable for washing.  Hmmmm…..

I’ve seen that green gardening tray online, but it is pretty massive and big and I’m afraid it would take up too much room in her pen.  I was hoping to find one around the 19 x 15 size.  But good idea to look at gardening shops.  I will do that this weekend before I commit to the 3D printed one.

12 is ancient for a bun, but we have gotten very lucky with her in that she’s been relatively healthy her whole life.  In 2018 we battled GI stasis practically every month, but I was able to catch it on time and properly medicate and help her through it.  We discovered it ended up being her back molars, so now we routinely get them clipped as needed.  She hardly ever get GI now.

• jerseygirl

I just saw some snow scoopers online that could be repurposed also.

• DanaNM
              8930 posts Send Private Message

Awww Zee <3

Second the recommendation to look for potting trays. Like this one might work (“Tierra Garden GP48 Tidy Tray One Piece Potting Tray”)

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• deadneonflies
                  Participant

Thank you Dana for your recommendation.  I’ve seen these green gardening trays online, but they are a very large size.  TOO large for Zee’s pen.  It would take up most of her pen lol.  Also, they run about $56 yeesh.  But it is a stellar idea and it has inspired me to check out our local gardening shops.  Maybe I can find something there that might work!

• jerseygirl

Dana, I cannot see the image you added. Is it visible for you?

Also apologies if I interrupted your posting here, I was editing my original one!

• DanaNM
                      8930 posts Send Private Message

Hmm yes I can see it. I had just copy pasted it in, maybe I need to try actually inserting it?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• jerseygirl

I can see it now. 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Low Lip Litter Boxes