Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Lost our two bunnies

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Thomas
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

I am man nearly 60 years old. Four years ago, we got our twelve year old boy a pair of bonded litter mates as babies. Our son named them Snowball and Mr. Tickles. They instantly became a part of our family. Watching them caper and frolic, binkey and flop brought us four years of joy and happiness. We lost them both last week to GI stasis. The pain and grief has been so intense that it is hard to believe.

I think that as rabbit owners we experience a double sense of loss when our bunnies pass. Bunnies are at the very bottom of the food chain, while people are at the very top. We protect them from everything in between. A bunny in nature has a very hard life, filled with fear and wariness. We take that fear away from our bunnies, and it return they replace it with love, love that they express to us in a myriad of ways. This give us a bond that other pet owners may not understand. We are not just caretakers, we are our bunnies protectors and their heros. I can remember nights watching TV with a bunny curled up next to me on each side, eager to lap up all the love and affection I was willing to give, and as I petted them and stroked them I could feel the love and trust from the beautiful and precious little creatures. I have lost many friends and loved ones along the way, and the pain of losing my bunnies stings as bad, if not worse, than any of them. I think that the grief we experience upon the loss of a bunny is a double edged sword – one edge is the pain of the loss and one edge tinged with guilt that we should have done more. This guilt does not accompany the passing of other pets who are less dependent than bunnies, but it is that dependence which makes of bond of love so strong, and so very painful to lose.

I stand in solidarity and with complete understanding for all of you who have lost your precious bunnies. And to all bunny lovers: I salute you! You are caring for the most precious and vulnerable of God’s creatures. May He fill your days with your precious bunnies with joy, and may He comfort those of us who have experienced the deepest lost in out hour of grief. God bless you all.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry for your loss…… and what a beautiful post!

The guilt and intense grief you are feeling is known by many in our community… and your words about bunnies specifically are so true. Try not to beat yourself up, it’s clear you gave your bunnies a very loving home.

(((Binky Free Snowball and Mr Tickles)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Doodler
          Participant
          337 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet bunnies.

That has to be the greatest post I have ever read even though it brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful pair of bunnies. Many of us know the feelings you described so eloquently but I for one would never have been able to write it so nicely.

I also salute you for recognizing how beautiful these little creatures are and providing what was obviously a loving home for Snowball and Mr. Tickles.

• Bam
            16838 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry you lost Snowball and Mr. Tickles.

Your post is beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes too. Thank you for loving these bunnies so.

Binky free, sweet ****Snowball**** and ****Mr. Tickles****

• Thomas
              Participant

Thank you all very much – our family is still a wreck. My poor wife is a saint. She tried SO HARD to save them. Trips to Emergency Vet every day, and I don’t think she let them out of her arms the whole time they were sick. Poor Mr. Tickles suffered a burst stomach and went through many of the bunny death screams just before he died – she is absolutely haunted by the sounds. Thankfully he did not suffer long – we think the stress of losing his mate was too much for the poor little guy to bear. He stayed with her body a long time – grooming her and laying on her as our hearts broke into pieces. Then when he went down we just went numb. My wife is still coming to terms with all of it, and she is wracked by guilt and pain. We really are at a loss. Four years of joy and bliss seem like a good trade for a couple of days of pain, but it still makes us feel like we have been run over by a truck. Twice. Thanks again to all of you – this website has always been a great help to us, and we have enjoyed many hours of fun reading about the buns and seeing their pictures as they enjoy their lives. Coming to the Rainbow Bridge seems surreal, but reading everyone’s stories and sharing our own grief has helped. Thanks Again.

• September
                Participant
                110 posts Send Private Message

Thomas, you speak for everyone who sadly have had to come to this forum of Binky Bunny. I read somewhere that angels take the form of rabbits on earth and I truly believe that. They touch something within us, it’s impossible to explain. I lost my Timothy 17 months ago, he was also about 4 years old, and I know I will never be the same person that I was when he was here, or before he came to us. If everyone on earth could give love to, and receive the love of a bunny, what a different world this would be.

We feel your pain, Thomas. You are not alone.

Sleep tight Snowball and Mr.Tickles

Xxx

• Phil
                  Participant
                  239 posts Send Private Message

Very very sad and quite upsetting, to hear this, we love our bunnies so much, its like having your soul ripped outloosing them, so sorry for your losses. ?

• Boing
                    Participant
                    253 posts Send Private Message

Sorry for your loss. I rarely post, but felt the need to after reading this.

Your post is not just a tribute to your two rabbits, but to all rabbits, and indeed the vulnerable everywhere of any species. What a beautiful memorial.

• Thomas
                      Participant

To Lynda –

Thanks for your kind words – I read your post about Timbob about ten times – what a magnificent bunny! You have a beautiful heart, and I’m quite certain that the love you gave Timmy was a HUGE part of his spirit. A kind and loving spirit like his takes the love he is sent and multiplies it tenfold – the love you gave him was the magical water that nourished his soul and helped make him who he was. Be proud Lynda! Your time with Timmy was time well spent, and your grief and pain will turn to compassion and wisdom over time. Your memories will remain forever, and Timmy left a part of his spirit with you and those memories will comfort you and make your soul all the richer. Sadly, all things must pass. But it is the living, not the passing, we must remember. Thanks for telling us about Timmy. I appreciate. Every. Single. Word.

• September
                        Participant
                        110 posts Send Private Message

Thank you Thomas. Your words help tremendously. When I lost Timothy I was told that time heals and it would get easier. I didn’t believe it. I suppose now we have ‘adapted’ ourselves to accept he isn’t here physically. But accepting he’s gone and that we won’t ever see him or touch him again, play with him, feed him, but him his favourite food and treats, care for him, that’s a different matter. The deep grief and guilt slowly, ever so slowly, fades, so in that respect it does become easier. But to me it’s like a wound that’s healed over on the outside, that people can see, but deep down it’s still broken and hurts real bad.

I hope you and your wife and family are coping OK, as well as you can be. I know how difficult the first days, weeks, months are. The waves will come and go, wash you under, float you to the top. You obviously loved your bunnies with all your heart, and that love will never ever fade.

Xxx

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Lost our two bunnies