Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Lost my baby girl and am worried for her companion

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Helayna&Willie
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hello Everyone,

I never thought I would be writing this post. I lost my first bunny five years ago and it was such a deep pain, and now I’m back here again. My heart is cracking as I’m typing.

My sweet Magnolia past away today. I took her to her vet yesterday morning as I noticed she had lost some weight, but was otherwise eating and acting completely normal. The vet ran a blood panel and she was severely anemic, with all her cell lines reading really low. She passed out when he tried to take her blood the first time, and he was really concerned there was something more going on. I took her home, and put off going for further diagnostics because she was so out of it and weak.

Today I took her to a more advanced exotic vet for diagnostics, but when we got there she was not looking good. They requested to keep her for the weekend and to start tests on Monday. About an hour after we left the vet called and had gotten her new blood panel back much faster than she thought. Unfortunately, all her blood cell lines had decreased even more in just the 24 hours. She said she probably wouldn’t make it through the night, so we drove back to say goodbye and helped her pass along peacefully.

Her companion Willoughby was with her the whole time, witnessed her passing and got to kiss her goodbye. They were so bonded, love at first sight even, and always cuddled and lounged together. Since we were at the vet office and decided for a necropsy, I am very worried Willie did not have enough time to process Magnolia’s passing. I am absolutely beside myself with grief, and am now paranoid and terrified that Willie is going to get depressed. So far he is eating and drinking and acting normal.

Does anyone have any advice or encouragement? I fully plan on being with him at all times for the foreseeable future, and giving him as many pets as he will tolerate. Please, if anyone has any support to give, it would be much appreciated.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Oh I’m so sorry. 🙁

I think that Willoughby will be fine since he did get to say goodbye to her at the vets, he knows that she is gone. He very well may have known she was very sick before you did. The fact that he is eating and drinking normally now is a very good sign. It’s normal for him to be a bit more “quiet” than normal, but as long as his eating and pooping are good then things are OK.

The best you can do now for him is just spend extra time with him and keep monitoring him for signs of depression. He may like to have a stuffy to cuddle with (just make sure he doesn’t start trying to eat it). If he seems very sad suddenly, you may consider fostering another rabbit so he has a neighbor, even if you aren’t sure whether you want to rebond him. I fostered a few buns after my Bertha passed and it really helped her bonded mate Bun Jovi (and me actually). No need to rush into that though.

Again I’m so sorry for your loss. <3

(((Binky free Magnolia)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Lost my baby girl and am worried for her companion