Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Lost interest in Hay

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Firsttimer
      Participant
      144 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, I’ve now had Pepper for three weeks and her health has been a little up and down as she had to go on antibiotics and they made her ill.  She now seems to be back to her happy self but the only thing that hasn’t returned is her appetite for hay.  She eats one meal a day and usually snacks on hay for the rest of the day, but now she isn’t interested in the hay.  I’ve tried three different suppliers and nothing seems to work.  I think that this is now causing her to leave long poos instead of the usual pellets.  What should I do?

ps I live in the UK does anyone know where I could get those cubes used to make bunny homes?

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I’m glad Pepper is feeling better. Were all the hays the same type of hays or where they just the same type (ie timothy) from different suppliers? Just wonder if perhaps a totally different type of grass hay may entice her.

• MooBunnay
          Participant
          3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello Lornatrae!

What does she get for food other than hay? If she is getting more pellets or veg than usual she may be filling up on those instead. Also, when my bunnies were recovering from a neuter or spay and didn’t seem interested in hay, I sprinkled a teeny bit of alfalfa hay over their regular hay, which got them digging in the litter box. Then once they were there, they seemed to realize that they liked some of the other things in there as well!

Have you changed her litterbox or litter? I jst changed my litter brand yesterday, and one of my bunnies who was perfectly litterbox trained peed in the corner of my room because she didn’t understand the new smell of the box! A new box or a new smell can discourage them from getting in the box and eating the hay.

I’m in the US myself, but there are lots of UK members here, I’m sure one will be able to tell you where they get the cubes!

• Firsttimer
            Participant
            144 posts Send Private Message

I’ve tried three different brands of hay but not sure of types. She has been getting pellets and tends to eat them up quickly, plus I’ve just started using new feed and this all started around the same time.  Thanks for this information.

Today I bought a new type of litter pellet so thanks for letting me know your experience, I’ll bear it in mind as I’ve only just got her litter trained.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

As far as I am aware lornatrae, anything like the wire storage cube panels is not available in the UK. I spent a long time on the internet trying to find some but alas no. I found wire baskets only. How frustrating!

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

You said you offered new feed at the same time she stopped eating hay. Could they be higher in calorie? What is different about the new feed?

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Lost interest in Hay