Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Lost, EMERG. Pleas Help

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunMumTiff
      Participant
      241 posts Send Private Message

So I have been really concerned about my rescue, he is not drinking havent seen him once, he was peeing and poopin lots but as of today he has peed twice and did the soft poops lots all over the cage. He is eatting, some apple a carrot, some romaine lettuce and hay.

I called the shelter back as they told me to do if anything aswrong. I need to bring him back in and the technition is going to examine him and see whats the problem is and if it can be treated she will treat it but if Oreo is really really sick then he will have to be put down. They think he is older and that there could be mroe going on with him.

I am super sad about this I dont know what to do. The vet is50 to 60 just for a check up and the meds it all depends. The shelteris saying to bring him back in and they will do what they can to help him but I am still heart broken poor bunny what did he do to do this.

I am so angry he was found in the wild but LOPS are not wild rabbits for god sakes. She said if it made me feel better they had more bunnies that would love a forever home that maybe Oreo needs to come back. I am so sad

• LillyBear
        Participant
        223 posts Send Private Message

try to force feed him hay.. sticking it in his mouth and making him eat it.. if he is eating other things, he should eat the hay.. take out the carrots and apples, and only give him lettuce.. these extra carbs from the carrots and apples could be giving him soft poops, it happens to my bun, and so those are only rare treats for her. also, if he is eating he is probably getting his water from the fruits and veggies. he might be stressed out about being in a new home and that is why his behavior is a bit odd today.. try and eye-drop him some water (into his mouth, but through the eye dropper syringe thing), if it gets all over their mouths they will lick it off cause they dont want it on their fur..

let us know..

• Bunnies4ever
          Participant
          368 posts Send Private Message

How long have you had him in your home? He may be stressed out by the new enviornment. I know my bunny was like that when I first brought him home from his foster mom. He wouldn’t eat or drink for about two days which was not good. I was frantic when all of a sudden he started eating and hasn’t stopped! That was 2 years ago!

Also, you can try to get him to eat some basil. It’s really fragrant. Just wave it under his nose and let him get a whiff of it and see if he will nibble on it. I know how you’re feeling. I was the same way.

Keep us posted on his progress.

• BunMumTiff
            Participant

I have had Oreo since monday afternoon. He is eattin ok, the hay and some pellets and will eat veggies when everyone is sleepin. The apple and the carrot was all he was gettin at the shelter. I put my hand in there and he was no happy so I just sprayed some water on his mouth he was lickin it off and was even openin his mouth to catch it. I have seen him eattin a bit mroeI am going to maybe put him in the bathroom out of the cage maybe he will work up a thirst as he just sits in the cage.

I will keep you posted if nothing changes the shelter told em to bring him back in.

• Bunnies4ever
              Participant
              368 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like he’s adjusting to his new home. It might take him a while. Keep an eye on his litterbox to make sure you see poops. He’s drinking water and that’s a good thing. You can take away the apple and carrot. That’s way too much sugar for him. I know sometimes my buns will wait until I leave the room before they start munching on the vegetables. They are funny like that!

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

Awww.   I’m sorry.            I also agree that this may be a diet adjustment, and if he was getting so much sugar before, it’s a wonder that his poops aren’t a total disaster mess. Plus, when rabbits are stressed they can also have digestive upsets which can lead to soft poos(and it could be just about him moving to a new place – even though it’s ten times better) But it’s also very important to make sure that there is nothing else medically going on. Coccidia can also be the  cause of soft poos but it’s easy to treat with meds! You may want to bring in one of his soft poos because if they find it’s not some sort of parasite issue, then they could test it for too much yeast, which could indicate that it’s a diet issue.

Note: Fruit and Veggies have a high water content, so he may be getting mostly what he needs, water wise,  from that.  (be careful not to give him too much fruit.)

What did they tell you to feed him as as far as diet goes? Pellet (what kind – timothy? Alfalfa?), What kinds of greens? and how much hay?

• BunMumTiff
                  Participant

Update, this may sound dumb but when i sad soft poo I meat the stuff they eat he grape like clusters i apoligize the name has slipped my mind. I decidd to put Oreo into the bathroom he has been there about two hours he seems to be ok. He has pooped about 8 times so far will com out and visit me. I went i to the use the bathroom and he came out smelled me then back to his spot beside te toliet LOL Havent seen him drink yet but I put aq bowl down just in case. He doesnt seem to be un happy actually moving around a bit.

I am going to wait and see how the nioght goes going to put extra greens in there tonight and go from there in the morning. I a probley just being a crazy bunny mommy LOL But if anything worsens I will be bringin him back in to b looked like

Oh ya poos are normal not soft at all

P.S I bought im a cae today should i try him in it or should i wait this one gives him mroe room to stretch out and has a front opening. my plan is to have him as a free range kitche bunny lol with the cage under the table o he can have some alone time when needed

• BunMumTiff
                    Participant

havent moved him into his new cage yet but he was out for about 4 hours in the bathroom. He did not want to go back in the cage at all. But as soon s he went n there he was a little poopin machiene lol so we will see if he eats his veggies etc and maybe starts drinking the water

• LillyBear
                      Participant
                      223 posts Send Private Message

it sounds like he is doing much better!! : ) even though he isn’t drinking much water, as said earlier, he is probably getting it from his veggies.. sometimes i dont see lilly drink for days when she gets lots of veggies.. !

• osprey
                        Participant
                        2065 posts Send Private Message

Wow, that is good to hear.  I am glad he is doing better.

Some of you may remember when The Haven rescued Houdini, and I had him at my place overnight.  I gave him veggies, hay, pellets and a few treats too because I felt so happy that he got out.  The poor guy had MAJOR poopy butt the next day.  The change in diet and environment upset his digestive system, and this might have happened to your foster too.

• BunMumTiff
                          Participant

We have a new bunny, I put in re leaf lettuce last night and dandylion greens a handful of each made sure they were wet when I put them in there. he CLENAED the whole cage out Poor guy. Ther was a chink of romaine on the kaboob I forgot to tke ouy as it was from th day before he cleaned that out also. He is poopin and peein machiene YAY still watchng him ust in caseU never know but fixin is now something I am going to eb waiting on for this guy.

YAY I am SOOO Happy

• ubergoober
                            Participant
                            71 posts Send Private Message

I am so glad to hear that Oreo is doing better! I think that in a few days or even a week you may see a totally new bunn.

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like he is feeling quite adjusted now he must be sooo excited to have a real home!

• BunMumTiff
                                Participant

He is startin to vnture near the water bottle havent sen him drink but I am still making the green wet when I put them in. I will give him some space tonight after my aon is in bed so Ican spend some time with him and also put Dora out in her area. This way he will have free run of my kitchen when he gets adjusted and have a nice home to retreat to

Thanks everyone I will keep you al posted on progress

• MooBunnay
                                  Participant

Did he have a water bottle at the shelter? If he is used to having water from a crock, he might not know how to use the water bottle. You could try putting a bowl of water in there to see if he drinks that instead. Also, maybe introduce him to the water bottle by getting him up close to it, and pushing some water out of it, so he know what it is!

• skunklionshow
                                    Participant
                                    1257 posts Send Private Message

I’m so glad Oreo seems to be doing better!  Keep up the good work.

• BinkyBunny
                                      8776 posts Send Private Message

Moobunnay makes a good point!  If he is new to water bottles, you can smash a tiny bit of banana around the nozzle.   He’ll lick it off and soon realize water comes out of there too.  Be sure to clean any excess banana off, as it could dry and get crusty and cause the nozzle to get stuck. 

• BunMumTiff
                                        Participant
                                          Posted By skunklionshow on 06/07/2007 1:49 PM

I’m so glad Oreo seems to be doing better!  Keep up the good work.

Thanks, Itshorrible this poor little guy had such a rough life I am glad he is startin to come around

• BunMumTiff
                                          Participant

The shelter had him using water bottles. But when he was in the kitchen today I had a bowl down also he goes over to it then hops away as i to ay why is this here.

I had him out he kept tryin to get out o the old cage so I helped him out. He hoped around and evencame and hopped onto my lap. Let me pet him. It is beakin my heart I am not seein him drink. I put some baby banana on it as I did not have bananas in the house. Still nothing.

But still poopin up a storm and seems to love the nw cage but he knows I can not reach in and get him whih I thinkhe likes lol

I drenched the greens when I put them in and right away was in there eattin the greens so I am hoping all goes well. I have to go away this wee end. My cousin is going to come over Saturday feed them, talkwith them and check hi water levels and let me know. I hope all goes well

If I still dont see him drink by Monday I am going to have tobring him in the shelter. Maybe there was more issues then they knew but they told me that would look him over etc. But I hope it doesnt come to that.

• MooBunnay
                                            Participant

If he is eating a pooping normally – I think he would do better with your care than back at the shelter. Maybe he’s just drinking water when you are not looking! Thats so cute that he hopped in your lap – he must realllly like you to trust you that fast! Have you thought of putting a little apple juice in the water? Maybe since his greens are so wet he is already getting all the water he needs. I would think that there is not much wrong with him, unless he is not eating or pooping normally. Is he peeing?

• BunMumTiff
                                              Participant

Yeah he is peein and actually starting to pee in the litter box once in awhile. He seems to love his new cage and now realizing an open door means he can come out.

Eatting wise he ate all the dandylion grens, not a fan of bok choy lol but ate all his pellets over night and it looks like he had a sip of water from the bottle.

Unless he stops eattin or popping which I think we are good now. I was happy he is in the kitchen and my son was up a couple times and Oreo heard me walking around and was stum[ping his foot YAY he hasnt done that so at least I kno now he is aware of his surroundings and I will leave night liught on for him

So far so good

• Gravehearted
                                                Participant
                                                2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo I’m glad to hear that he’s doing better now that’s he’s adjusting

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Lost, EMERG. Pleas Help