Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Looking for a pal for Lucy

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • MissPinUp
      Participant
      151 posts Send Private Message

I’m looking for a pal to bond with my dwarf, Lucy.  At this point I’ve seen a few, a Rex, Angora, and baby Lionhead.  The baby will be ready in a week.  I’m thinking the baby might be best because she’d be a little easier to bond with Lucy.  What do you guys think? 

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Actually I think an altered adult is the best. Now that is not to say that the baby won’t work too but sometimes when babies go through their puberty and adolscence they can get very dominant and territorial.

Is Lucy already altered too?

Honestly the best is to let Lucy pick her new friend as well. Take her on bunny dates and see how both respond to each other.

• Sarita
          Participant

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/introductions.html

This is a good article to read as well so you know what to expect.

• tabalab
            Participant
            309 posts Send Private Message

i learned my lesson i would deff rather an adult. Esp one who is used to being around people and interacting then you dont have to go through all those horrible bunny phases

• RachelB
              Participant
              237 posts Send Private Message

I would highly recommend taking your bunny on dates to pick out their mate. I fell in LOVE with photos of two different bunnies that I just HAD to have….. only to find out that one was very agressive towards Samson and the other was very skittish around him. It took about a month before we found someone that Samson liked and that liked Samson (actually they more just ignored eachother for the first 20 minutes before a quick sniff, some grooming, and mounting) But compaired to the others this was the best fit for us. Ivy would never have been my 1st or 2nd or even 5th pick but after less than a week I am just as in love with Ivy as I am my 1st bunny Sammy. The bonding was much much easier too because beforehand we saw that they were able to tolerate eachother. The first day was a little rough (mostly just breaking up backwards mounting, and giving lots of pets) but after only 2 1/2 days Id consider them to be bestest buddies. They follow eachother around, groom one another, play games together, and sleep curled up together…. its adorable!!! The first bunny you got YOU picked out but to make it fair you should give your bunny a chance to pick its own friend. Trust me… it will make it all much much easier in the end!!

• MissPinUp
                Participant
                151 posts Send Private Message

True. Lucy has an appointment to be altered on August 25th, the first I could get in with my vet :/ Should I wait until after she’s altered to take her on play dates?

• Sarita
                  Participant

You definitely need to wait at least a month after she is altered. She needs to heal completely before you do this.

• RachelB
                    Participant
                    237 posts Send Private Message

Definitely wait for her to be fully healed and back to her normal self before going on the playdates. Sometimes the dates can get a bit harry and you wouldnt want her to already be in a compromised state going in. Also her hormones will be all outta wack for awhile (i assume) so it would be better to wait a bit. I know its hard to wait but in the mean time you can start contacting shelters to see their policies on bunny-dating.

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

I would also encourage you to wait and then do some bunny dates (at least a month post-spay). It might be possible to pick out a friend for her and they may get along, but the bonding process could take longer and nothing is guaranteed. The problem with a baby is that by the time Lucy is ready to be bonded, that baby bun would be entering puberty and then you’d have to wait even longer to bond, and still have to spay/neuter yourself. With a rescued bunny who is already altered, you could start some short bonding sessions the very first day and have a bonded pair within a couple weeks. Plus you give that new bunny a second chance at a great life!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Looking for a pal for Lucy