Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Long journey

• This topic has 3sd replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Dface.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • TitanFalls578
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

i am getting 2 rabbits in may and because if where i live i need to go on a 15 hour ferry and they have to stay in the car so i cant check on them? any advice?

• Bunny House
        Participant
        1241 posts Send Private Message

Is there a way you can adopt bunnies closer to where you are like a shelter? Bunnies in a closed vehicle can die from heat exhaustion in a hot vehicle, and they will probably feel unsafe and can get sick very quick and it is an emergency.

• Asriel and Bombur
          Participant
          1104 posts Send Private Message

While I agree it doesn’t sound like a very good idea, there are buns that have traveled in the cargo holds of planes just fine. Look for Q8Bunny’s thread on their journey from Kuwait to Canada with her bun Chewie. We were all on the edge of our seats for that one xD Hopefully she’ll chime in here, but if not search for her and send her a PM because she’s your greatest asset in a situation like this.

The major issue with being 15 hours un-monitored is a lot can happen. Bunnies don’t eat when they’re stressed (think car rides and how most buns won’t eat during 60 minute vet trip). Bunnies that don’t eat or poop for over 12 hours can develop GI Stasis, which is fatal if not treated. It’s also such a long journey to be cramped in carrier situation, especially if you’re adopting a bonded pair (not litter mates, litter mates are not bonded and a move such as this could break any semblance they had of a bond).

If these bunnies are 15 hours away, where is the closest bunny-savvy vet? Is there one near you that you can take them to in a dire emergency?

You definitely should think about this a lot before getting them.

• Dface
            Participant
            1084 posts Send Private Message

Hey!
              Is it a 15 hour straight ferry, or is it broken up at all?
              Arr the rabbits young or old/bonded or unbonded?
              I took my rabbits on a 12 hour journey that required a 2 hour ferry. I was surprised by how much they disliked the ferry. I thought they woyld be calmer as I actually took mine up to the passanger area and sat in a quiet corner but they were not okay with it at all.
              Some rabbits do fine, but 15 hours is a very long time for rabbits to be stressed and even if they werent stressed 15 hours is a long time to not be able to check on them. Are there any other alternatives you can think of to avoid the ferry?

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Long journey