Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Long drive for spays

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nibbler&Georgie
      Participant
      35 posts Send Private Message
        It’s almost time for Nibbler and Georgie to be spayed! They both have appointments on July 11th. I’m honestly not too fearful of the surgeries themselves, but the drive to the vet and back. The closest vet that will alter rabbits is 2 hours away.

Do yall have any tips on keeping buns calm and comfortable in the car? I know it will be stressful regardless, but I’d like to make it the least stressful for them as possible.

• Boing
        Participant
        253 posts Send Private Message

Have hay in their carriers. And chew sticks. You could also try feeding them cookies. Daisy will eat while travelling. Cincinnati won’t.

• CinnamonPearl
          Participant
          69 posts Send Private Message

Some animals like it if you cover their carrier with a towel (partially for air flow) during travel. Helps them feel more secluded and safe. And don’t play the radio too loud during the drive, keep it nice and quiet. I’d also start getting them used to their carriers by leaving them out in their play area, so the carriers aren’t too foreign when it’s time to drive.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Yes, fill the carrier with lots of fluffly hay, and getting them used to the carrier may help.

Talking calmy to them to reassure them is nice too.

I was so worried last winter when I had to drive 5 hrs with the buns when we evacuated, but they went to sleep after about an hour and were fine once we got to our destination!

Just a note about their spays (especially since you are so far from your vet), make sure your vet gives you pain medication for them, and critical care so you can syringe feed them if they don’t want to eat right away when you get home.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Nutmeg
              Participant
              594 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Nibbler&Georgie on 6/26/2018 8:24 PM

They both have appointments on July 11th..

Hey! My girl and boy are getting spayed and neutered on July 11th too!!! 
                My vet is a little over an hour drive away and my girl lost her MIND when we went for their first check up… laying on her side, breathing heavy .. on the way there. Freaked me right out. She was a little better on the way back. But went right into hiding once she was back home.
                The boy could care less lol

So what I’ve been doing is leaving their own towel with them when they are each out for individual play time… This week I’m going to start putting their carriers in their area too with their respective towel in it. Once the weather is nicer I may take them one at a time in their carriers to outside in the back yard to get some sun and eat some grass in a little fenced area I made… just so they don’t relate the carrier to only bad things. 
                Then I’ll try shorter trips in the car… just drive around and then back in to the house. 

That’s my plan anyway. 
                Good luck to both of us  

• Nibbler&Georgie
                Participant
                35 posts Send Private Message

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will definitely introducing them to their carriers and getting them used to those.

Nutmeg, yes good luck to both of us!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Long drive for spays