Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR LOL, is this normal? x3

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittleWhiteRex
      Participant
      44 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been sitting out on the porch with my bunny all day, and I’ve had to  have my feet up under the table the whole time – because my bunny won’t leave them alone.

She seems absolutely determined to get to my feet. If she does somehow get access to them, she circles them, gives one a tiny nip, then sort of scrambles around on them and digs with her front paws (ouch – her nails are still sharp even when they’re trimmed and filed…) It’s been hours and she still won’t give up on trying to bond with my feet. Is this normal, or do I really have a mad March Hare on my hands?

(She also curls up in a circle around my hand when I reach down to pet her or pick her up.)

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

Yes, it’s normal. First, what is her age, and second, has she been spayed yet?
          My bunnies both adore my feet, and Spockie circled and circled and circled. He was courting.

Samantha now kisses and pushes my feet but her purpose is clear. She wants head pets and grooming by them, since she has figured out that my hands might try to pick her up by my feet never do.

• LittleWhiteRex
          Participant

She has not been spayed, and I’d guess that she’s around 2 or 3 years old (she was a tad smaller when we first got her from the breeder 2 1/2 years ago.) *whew* Glad to find out this is normal, I was worried she’d gone crazy or something. xD

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

“Crazy” is a bunny’s normal demeanor. That’s why we love them.
              It’s when they act all sane, calm, reclusive and normal that we begin to worry.

• LittleWhiteRex
              Participant

Posted By RabbitPam on 04/25/2010 11:38 AM
                “Crazy” is a bunny’s normal demeanor. That’s why we love them.
                It’s when they act all sane, calm, reclusive and normal that we begin to worry.

You can say that again  

Anyway, thanks RabbitPam, now I know! 

• Elrohwen
                Participant
                7318 posts Send Private Message

The circling is usually a mating behavior – it means she loves you!! And digging and nipping could also be related to this.

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

I’m very confused about Lily’s status.

In your “Use Your LItterbox” thread you say:

“There is no litter in the rest of her cage, and when we fasten the box, she just adopts another corner instead of using the litter tray. Yes, she’s spayed…. grrh.”

In your profile, in response to the “Spay/Neutered” question you say: 

“INDEED.”

Yet in this thread you say that… no, she’s not spayed. 

I understand that (to the detriment of your bunny) vet care isn’t an option for you, but I wonder if you realize the severe risk of cancer if she is, in fact, not spayed?

• LittleWhiteRex
                    Participant

I didn’t know she could get cancer! My parents never made a point of telling me whether or not she was spayed until I asked, so I wasn’t sure, but I thought she was spayed. I didn’t think it could cause anything that serious.

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

You’ve said that your mother has rabbits, so is she aware of the importance of spaying? Are her rabbits spayed and neutered? This was addressed in your other thread, but again, the thing I’m concerned about is if you don’t have support to have your bun examined for something as simple as sneezing, what is going to happen if she does, in fact, get cancer?

Here is an article about spay/neuter. It mentions the risk of cancer, but in a nutshell, rabbits have an 85% risk of developing uterine cancer by the age of 3-4 years if not spayed. I’m surprised you haven’t heard about this while doing research online. This statistic is very well-known.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/spay.html

I am, however, not surprised that your bun is not spayed. Breeders do not spay/neuter rabbits before they sell them, and I believe you said she came from a breeder. In most cases, if you’re not 100% positive a bun is altered, chances are they are not. I just worry now that there’s nothing you can do at this point.

• Alika613
                        Participant
                        52 posts Send Private Message

How long have you had Lily? Can you guesstimate her age? I agree with Beka27 about the risks of cancer by the age of 3-4, but I think I read somewhere that a rabbit can generally be spayed until it is around 6 years old. At around 6 years old, the risks change for a rabbit (specifically anesthesia) and for some there may be more risks than benefits.

Is there a SNAP program in your area? Where I live (NH) SNAP stands for Spay Neuter Assistance Program, perhaps there is something similar in your area.

I hope she lives long and happy.

-Alika

• Hedi
                          Participant
                          969 posts Send Private Message

I didnt spay my first rabbit until she was 4 yrs old because of the fear of anesthesia. But she developed mammary gland issues and she had to be fixed. I regret not getting it done earlier because waiting so late ended up being a bad thing for her. Her rex fur has never been the same since she was fixed. Her fur is awful- it is very coarse and she sheds 100% of the time. Her personality leaves a lot to be desired. She is generally always hateful and mean even if there are treats involved. I just feel so guilty because I feel she suffered because I didnt know any better.

• Alika613
                            Participant
                            52 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry Hedi, that sounds like such a horrible ordeal. My first rabbit, Mrs. Houdini, died at around 5 years old. While I never had a necropsy performed, I now know how likely it is that she died of something related to the fact that she wasn’t spayed.

I loved Mrs. Houdini, RIP, but I was very irresponsible at the time. I’m not going to make the same mistake twice; Victoria is getting spayed.

-Alika613

• LittleWhiteRex
                              Participant

Posted By Hedi on 05/01/2010 06:39 AM
                                I didnt spay my first rabbit until she was 4 yrs old because of the fear of anesthesia. But she developed mammary gland issues and she had to be fixed. I regret not getting it done earlier because waiting so late ended up being a bad thing for her. Her rex fur has never been the same since she was fixed. Her fur is awful- it is very coarse and she sheds 100% of the time. Her personality leaves a lot to be desired. She is generally always hateful and mean even if there are treats involved. I just feel so guilty because I feel she suffered because I didnt know any better.

That sounds terrible Hedi, I’m sorry for you! (((((vibes))))

We’ve had Lily for about two or two and a half years, so I’d guess she’s 2 1/2 or 3 years old as she was, as I said, a little smaller when we got her than she is now.  (I’ve seen how fast bunnies grow! o.o) My mom *is* aware of the cancer issue, though….. okay, my parents told me we’re a bit pressed in the funding department at the moment…… 

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR LOL, is this normal? x3