Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Local humane society has really small rabbit cages … what can/should I do?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cassandra
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been thinking about ways to help homeless pets (rabbits, mainly), and I decided to go to look at the shelter’s needs, so I visited the shelter and noticed how small the rabbit cages are. They have a small probably 6′ x 6′ building just for the rabbits. There are several stackable rabbit cages that are probably 2′ x 3′. The cages are really small, and they don’t get a lot of exercise time. In the cages, there’s just the litter box with lots of hay, a water bowl and food bowl, and a toy or two. It makes me sad how poor their habitats are.

What can / should I do? I want to help, and I’m not made of money, but they either need a bigger rabbit building or something else. I’m really unsure of what to do?

• Hedi
        Participant
        969 posts Send Private Message

Hi Cassandra!

It is great you want to help the shelter buns. In 2007 I found out my local HS had rabbits and when I went in I saw the same thing. Small cages stacked in the front waiting area. There was no room anywhere else and unfortunately they were in a place where everyone who walked in was tempted to put their hands in the cages.

First, talk to the person who is in charge of volunteers and they will probably ask you to go thru a really short walk-thru/orientation to the place. Be specific-if you dont want to be involved w/ cats or dogs tell them. Im allergic to cats/dogs so I just cant have physical contact w/ them. So I told them up front that rabbits were my interest only and they were fine w/ that.

Rabbits can survive in shelters in those types of cages but if they are open to the idea ask them if they are ok w/ you asking for people to donate old rabbit cages if people have them. You could put up a flyer at petstores, look on craigslist, etc. You could even talk to them about fundraising specifically for cages.

The BEST thing you can do for the rabbits is to spend time w/ them. I know our HS has 2 bonding rooms used for when people want to spend time w/ an animal. I would go in during the day when they werent open and everyday pick a few buns to take out of their cages and take to the bonding rooms for them to play. I would bring toys, TP rolls, hay/treats and allow them to run around and get a little exercise. If they dont have a bonding room ask if they have x-pens you could set up for them to play in or even the break room (we used it a lot too). I would sometimes set up the xpen out front and plop myself in the cage w/ the bun. The bun would run over me, hop over me and sit for rubs and pets. Its a great way to help socialize the rabbits and give them a chance to trust people and get some exercise.

Eventually there were enough rabbit people in our area they started a rabbit network of people who helped set up adoptions and made less work for the HS in regards to the rabbits. They began to allow rabbit fostering when they didint used to. Your HS may already have a group of rabbit people so find out and get in tune w/ what they are doing.

And if they dont have rabbit volunteers then you could always ask for volunteers-putting up flyers, craigslist, etc. You will be amazed of how many great bunny people who are out there.

• Elrohwen
          Participant
          7318 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately, it’s often impossible for shelters to get larger cages or allow more time out of the cage. The rescue I work at takes excellent care of their bunnies, but more are in dog kennels (about 2’x3-4′) and they just have a litter box, food and water, and a toy or two. It seems to help immensely when the bunnies are bonded and have a friend to keep them company. It’s just not always possible to provide them the type of living arrangement you would with a pet, but it doesn’t mean they’re not loved and looked after. If they would allow you to volunteer, I’m sure the bunnies would love it if you could spend more time with them.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

You could start a fundraiser over easter time. I wrapped gifts in a mall to raise money for cage accessories and an exercise pen when I was still in university.The contact between my Humane Society and that mall already existed but they needed volunteers with ideas and willing to spend time doing the service. I enjoyed it b/c while the people would wait for their gifts to be wrapped I had an opportunity to talk about rabbits not being just an Easter amusement but very affectionate pets with big personalities etc. Also, each gift had a small courtesy card attached with a reminder that already neutered rabbits were waiting for good homes in shelters.

• jerseygirl
              22345 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been meaning to add this to your other threads. Leading up to Easter time is a good time to get involved in raising awareness of shelter rabbits. Have you seen this site? http://www.makeminechocolate.org  You can print off pamphlets and get involved with the campaign.

Another simple thing to do is make hay toys for shelter rabbits. It might not solve some of the bigger issues facing the shelters but it will make life in a cage more interesting for individual rabbits.

Edit: Just wanted to say…I really admire how you’ve continued to look at ways to get involved – despite the setbacks about getting your own rabbit.

• Hedi
                Participant
                969 posts Send Private Message

Definitely dont take our words for it. Only your local humane society will be able to tell you about their volunteer programs. My local HS loves when people offer to come in and help w/ the rabbits because so many times they just get ignored. Unfortunatley there are just so many other cats and dogs that cleaning cages are all they get sometimes.

Our HS used to be typical w/ the small cages until volunteers came in offering to help get larger cages and the Humane Society was very appreciative and loved the larger cages. So you dont know what they will allow until you offer to help. Dont assume they wont allow things because YOU may be just the person w/ the great ideas they are looking for!!!

Go in, help w/ the buns w/ toys and playing w/ them. You will be surprised what they will allow you to do once you prove yourself to them. Trust me, humane societies love when brand new people come in excited and ready to make a difference.

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

I liked Hedi’s suggestion to find out if they already have specific volunteers involved with the rabbits. At your age, you probably won’t be able to be directly involved with the HS and rabbit care, but if you can help the volunteers in other aspects of their care, that would be amazing. It would be important to get your parents involved… if they met the volunteers, you might be allowed to go help out with their supervision. I really admire your desire to help!

• TARM
                    Participant
                    1253 posts Send Private Message

Unfortunately space is a commodity in most shelters. Just look at what cats are kept in! I agree that the best course of action is to try your best to alleviate boredom until the bunnies get adopted. And just remember that the small cage is temporary and that new owners need to be informed that they will need a much bigger cage at home!

• Beka27
                      Participant

Yes… sometimes a bigger cage is not always the best course of action if that means less rabbits will have a safe spot. And honestly… 2×3 feet is not so bad as a temporary living space… some shelters are going to have them in much smaller spaces.

• Cassandra
                        Participant
                        16 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for ALL your help, everybody! I’ve got some good ideas on how to help and I will let you guys know how that goes.

The sad thing is that a lot of the cages are NOT temporary. Bunnies rarely get adopted at our shelter. There’s a bonded pair who has been there for at least 2 years. It’s really sad. If I could, I’d adopt them, but since I can’t…I really don’t know what to do. I feel so bad for those poor buns.

• MirBear
                          Participant
                          1412 posts Send Private Message

well at least the bunnies have a place to live… most shelters would put the animals to sleep way before the two years.. its nice to know that they at least do the best they can and give them a chance at life.

• BinkyBunny
                            8776 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Cassandra on 01/30/2010 07:24 PM
                              Thanks for ALL your help, everybody! I’ve got some good ideas on how to help and I will let you guys know how that goes.

The sad thing is that a lot of the cages are NOT temporary. Bunnies rarely get adopted at our shelter. There’s a bonded pair who has been there for at least 2 years. It’s really sad. If I could, I’d adopt them, but since I can’t…I really don’t know what to do. I feel so bad for those poor buns.

I would ask them how long a rabbit stays there (on average) and ask why they think that is.  It could be that they just need more help in building awareness to that part of their shelter.   Promotions and getting the word out also can cost a bit, so maybe you could do a fundraiser somehow AND get the word out at the same time. 

• Beka27
                              Participant

And are they taking advantage of different avenues… ESPECIALLY the INTERNET! Can they post their pics on Petfinder… is there a local rabbit rescue who would be willing to direct people to the shelter? Do they have their own website where they can post pics?

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Local humane society has really small rabbit cages … what can/should I do?