Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Litterbox Training

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • SweetB
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I have a Dutch rabbit who’s about 3 years old now and lives exclusively indoors (except hanging out outside in the summer some days). She was neutered when she was 1 and that helped her litter training a lot. But lately she’s been going wherever she pleases instead of in her litter boxes! She has a fenced in area of my room with a smaller cage in there where I keep the litter box.

I recently repainted my room and rearranged it a bit and when I brought her back in, she stopped using her litter box! Is it due to a change of environment?

We also got a kitten recently, is this a territorial thing?

Any idea why she’s changed behavior?

Let me know, thanks!

• Azerane
        4688 posts Send Private Message

Hi there

Is she doing pees or poops outside the litter tray, or both?

Both of the things you mentioned (redoing your room, and getting a kitten) could easily cause he to act out with litter habits. A change in environment that now looks and smells different is a good reason to remark territory. Territorial poops along boundaries are common.

Again, the same thing with adding a kitten to the family. The kitten can be seen as an intruder, it smells different and comes up to the edge of bun’s territory, so again the boundaries need to be marked.

If there’s lots of peeing everywhere, or dribbles of pee then she could have a urinary tract infection and it could be worth getting her checked by a vet, if it’s mostly poops and occasional pees then it’s probably just territory. Likely it will settle down with a bit more time

• SweetB
          Participant
          13 posts Send Private Message

She is doing both outside of her litter tray, I’ve tried adding another litter box but she still goes right outside of it instead of jumping in to use it. There aren’t any dribbles anywhere though. Maybe she’s just lazy! I’ll try keeping the kitten out of my room to see if that helps with any territorial issues.

Thank you! 

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Litterbox Training