Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Litterbox Setup questions!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lena and Momo
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys! Sorry if this question has already been asked, I tried doing a search to see bit didn’t find anything (I am using my phone so eh) so figured I’d just ask. I’ve been researching litter box setups and one site says to use a top layer of Timothy Hay, while another says to use grass hay at one end and then oat hay to munch on for the corner that bunny won’t be using as a potty. I was wondering if anyone had any tips at all? The setup i read also included the instruction to put urine soaked napkins on the bottom layer, then litter, then hay, which I found a bit odd because if there’s Timothy Hay in the litter box she’ll probably end up burrowing and accidentally eating some napkin/paper towel. I know it might just be my new-rabbit-mom anxiety but that doesn’t seem super safe. But I am unsure hence why I came here! I have yet to implement any of these ideas so I wanted to come here first!

• kurottabun
        Participant
        908 posts Send Private Message

The most typical litter box is probably a normal box (similar to a cat’s) where people put litter to line the bottom and hay on top of it. This is because bunnies love to pee and poop while eating.

Some bunnies love digging or eating the litter, so it’s become popular to put grates in/on litter boxes which can either be bought or DIY-ed using mesh. This prevents the bunny from eating or flinging the litter out and also prevents them from sitting in pee since lots of bunnies love hanging out in their boxes.

The napkin depends on whether your bunny is a chewer. I don’t think it’s very likely for them to “accidentally” eat something – more often than not the cases of bunnies ingesting napkins or plastics is because they chose to eat it (not by accident). Although domestic bunnies have lost the ability to recognise which foods are safe, they retain their excellent senses and if it’s something they don’t like, they have the capability of going around it – you would notice this when you see how a bunny digs for and chooses that ONE particular strand of hay among so many others just because it’s their favourite strand!

To answer your question, I recommend getting a box with a grate. Non-clumping wood pellets are my favourite type of litter as it’s excellent at odour control and also very absorbent. You can line the box with wood pellets below the grate and put some hay on top of it. Bunnies usually have a favourite corner to pee in so choose the side or corner of the box that is least used for peeing and put the hay there.

For reference, Kurotta’s litter box setup looks like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhRb5B4AkYz/?taken-by=kurottabun

He loves to pee in the left corner so the hay is on the right

• BunBun260
          Participant
          132 posts Send Private Message

Hello! It depends on your bunny as well. Some bunnies will eat everything, and some bunnies will leave paper/bedding alone. I set my bunny litter box up in layers. The first layer is paper. I use old homework, or newspaper. This helps soak in the pee, and keep the bottom of the litter box clean. When I didn’t use a paper liner, I was washing my bunny litter box every time I changed it. The second layer is paper bedding. I use “all living thing” paper bedding. Lots of bedding come with a California warning, and that freaks me out, so I go for ones that don’t have it. Some people don’t use paper bedding, I see that some use wood chips. It all depends on what you like and what your bunny likes. The third layer is Timothy hay. I only do this half way though. My bunny does not eat the bedding at all. He does tend to dig but that’s it. I make sure the hay is stacked up and always refilled. I would use the hay your bunny eats daily. You can use other hay, but your regular hay should work too.

If you find that your bunny is eating the paper or bedding, you can always buy a mesh cover. I seen Esty shops sell custom ones, you could also make a DIY one. Hopes this helps!

• Boing
            Participant
            253 posts Send Private Message

I’ve tried many litter box set ups!

My favourite is definitely:
              1 high sided cat litter box filled with care fresh. I prefer van ness brand.
              1 over-the-cupboard-door hanging, wire mesh container filled with hay (container bought at the dollar store).

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Litterbox Setup questions!