Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE litter type

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • chinphat
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

What litter do you guys find is good? Do you know of any websites that it can be purchased in bulk?

We’ve been buying from the local petco…but its a bit pricey in my opinion.

Thanks,

Joe

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

A great litter that is safe for rabbits is yesterday’s news…You can buy it a bit cheaper in a bag for cats and it’s the exact same stuff. I cover it with hay to *lure* the rabbits into the litter box!

• Bunnies4ever
          Participant
          368 posts Send Private Message

I use Carefresh (which can be expensive) and Critter Country. I prefer Critter Country to Carefresh, but will use Carefresh if I run out. Critter Country is the easiest to use. I hear Yesterday’s News is good, but I can’t seem to find it in my area.

• MarkBun
            Participant
            2842 posts Send Private Message

I should note that Cat Country and Critter Country are basically the same thing so either can be used for bunnies. They are my choices as I have not found any ‘yesterday’s news’ around here either.

• xnovalentine
              Participant
              309 posts Send Private Message

I use Aspen bedding & litter that is Kaytee Brand. The reason why i use this brand is because you can get a HUGE compressed bag of it for around $12 and lasts me a very long time. It is also a safe for rabbits and it’s fairly absorbent. Yesterday’s news is good and I really like it, but It’s a bit more expensive than the Aspen that I use and I get a lot more with the Aspen.

• LittlePuffyTail
                18092 posts Send Private Message

I use Yesterday’s news. I’m very happy with it.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Aspen Supreme, it’s awesome with odor control, even if you mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with Yesterday’s News (YN), it works great too and you can save some $ as the Aspen Supreme can be pricey.  Try looking in the cat litter section for the YN rather than the small animal section (they have it there too but for more $).

• DustBunneh'sMama
                    Participant
                    77 posts Send Private Message

I saw on the Indiana House Rabbit Society’s website that you can use the wood pellets for wood burning stoves, so I just bought two big 50 lb. bags of those from the Tractor Supply store for around $3.50 each!  I had been using the "Care Fresh", but I could only find it in small bags and they were very expensive, considering the small amount you get for your money. The wood pellets are a way better deal. Of course, since my boyfriend bought them for me, I’ll have to read the bag myself to make sure it is aspen wood and not pine or cedar. My boyfriend said it is just compressed wood and nothing else, so hopefully it will be fine. I know that when the wood pellets get wet they turn into more of a sawdust as opposed to retaining their pellet form, but the Care Fresh does that too. I just put a sheet of newspaper in the bottom of my litter pan and when it’s time to change it, I just roll the whole thing up and toss it.

• Sarita
                      Participant
                      18851 posts Send Private Message

I like Lone Star Bedding and you can purchase that at Tractor Supply – a 40 lb bag is around $6.00 per bag. They are a wood stove pellet type litter. They are pelleted but once wet turn into sawdust.

• FredsDad
                        Participant
                        41 posts Send Private Message

I use wood pellets as well. Fred seems to be OK with it, so I am too

• Sarita
                          Participant

The pine in pelleted form is actually okay to use. They are kiln dried pine and heated in production to which eliminates the phenols that are toxic to animals.

• osprey
                            Participant
                            2065 posts Send Private Message

The wood stove/horse stall bedding pellet products are OK to use with bunnies, even if the wood is pine.  With the stove pellets, be sure that it is marked 100% wood or pure wood or something like that.  Some of the wood stove pellets have an added hydrocarbon accelerant that you definitely do not want.

• Hannah
                              Participant
                              274 posts Send Private Message

Carefresh is pretty expensive (best value == biggest bags, by far), but I use it for both my bunnies and my chinchilla because it’s so safe and because it really keeps the odor down. One of my bunnies and the chinchilla live in my dorm room (the other bunny lives at home with my mom), so that’s a pretty small place to keep from getting stinky, and it works wonderfully.

The only weird thing is that sometime they eat the Carefresh (all of them…), but since it’s just recycled paper I don’t think it’s too big of a deal.

• MooBunnay
                                Participant
                                3087 posts Send Private Message

I also use the lonestar bedding for my bunnies – and I really like how it works. It seems to really reduce the scent from the litterbox, and its inexpensive enough that I can use it with my 7 bunnies! Like Sarita said – there is a Tractor Supply store you can get it from. I know there is one in McKinney – and I think there might be one in Garland as well.

• chinphat
                                  Participant
                                  24 posts Send Private Message

awesome! thanks a lot for the responses guys, ill be checking out the tractor supply stores for what I need to try it out

thanks again!

Joe

• Sarita
                                    Participant

Joe at the Tractor Supply you may have to ask the associates about the Lone Star Bedding – they usually keep it in the back and just ask and they will bring it to you and help load it in your car.

• MooBunnay
                                      Participant
                                      3087 posts Send Private Message

Also – when I called Tractor Supply in McKinney – one of the sales associates said they didn’t have the Lone Star bedding, so I went in to see if they had something similar and they DID have the Lone Star bedding, it was in the back in the “Equine” section.

• DustBunneh'sMama
                                        Participant
                                        77 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the info about the wood pellets being okay for bunnies. The bag just says “100% natural wood, no accelerants”, but doesn’t say what kind of wood it is. I feel better now.

I used to use the CareFresh stuff, but I like the smell of the wood so much better. My bun has 2 litter boxes. He always pees in the one in his cage, and mostly just lays in the one in his play area, so I kept a thin layer of the CareFresh pellets on top of that one because he does like to eat them. I don’t really want them eating the wood if I can avoid it.

Next time I’m at Tractor Supply, I’ll have to check out the horse section for the Lonestar bedding to see if they have it. Thanks again everyone!

• Gravehearted
                                          Participant
                                          2428 posts Send Private Message

I used to swear by carefresh until Osprey recommended aspen supreme. that stuff rocks with odor and we’re able to buy a 50 pound bag for $20!
                                            I’ve used both wood stove pellets and yesterdays news, but both they liked to kick out and make a big mess with.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                            Participant

Dang gravehearted, where did you find it at? I’ve GOT to know! I went this weekend to get some more and they just had the tiny bags.

• Gravehearted
                                              Participant
                                              2428 posts Send Private Message

well it’s at for other living things – which is awfully far for you to drive. Can you ask your local store if they can order it in the larger sized bag for you?

I was amazed at the price decrease from the small bags to this huge one – I think the small bag was about $8, medium was about $16, but this huge thing was only $20! They don’t seem to have it on their website though.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                Participant

Yeah, that’s a tiny bit of a drive for me. LOL  I just might ask.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE litter type