Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR litter training gone AWOL

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • vickyd
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

so my rabbits were litter trained to go in one space in their previous large gutch, i moved them to this larger den area which has more floor space and climbing opportunities. at first they chose one corner and went there, so i stuck my litter box there. now they go in each corner and on their climbing area! and even worse in their hay pile! i only have 3 litter trays, one large, one normal and one with high sides (actually an upside down stool). not only that they do random little poos everywhere on their floor now, and i have to root around to find them, which they never did before. so i go in there every morning to pick up the poo and put into their trays, but its getting ridiculous now, they seem to do it wherever they want, sometimes in the trays most times not :/ i want it to be clean, for them in there but it seems like im losing the battle here. please see pics …. 

• arca9
        Participant
        14 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know if it has anything to do with this if they’re used to it, but mine get…. confused if there is hay anywhere on the floor/surfaces so I have to make sure it stays in a rack now and constantly keep putting it back in when they pull it out.

• The Law Bun
          Participant
          182 posts Send Private Message

I agree with arca, just a few points
            1) How old are they? If they are younger and are 3-6 months old and non neutered you can expect territorial markings to to start
            2) You have hay all over the floor as well as the lottery box. Not only is this probably confusing to the bunnies (they think the whole hutch floor is a litter box), but bunny eat and poop at the same time. So if they eat hay in one play you can expect a poop there. You should focus all hay just in litter boxes.

Good luck!

• vickyd
            Participant
            12 posts Send Private Message

Thanks guys, ive now taken all that bedding out and scrubbed the previous poo places. I have noticed a difference now that hay isn’t everywhere. I think also i put too much hay in the corner so am going to restrict the amount i put in there so they can’t climb on it and poo

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

Also, if they’re in a new area, they may be simply marking their territory with the poops. It can take a couple of months before they decide that the place is theirs and lessen the poops. But all that hay definitely can cause confusion.

I am also curious, is the floor cement? Do they have a place to go that isn’t hard? If not, you may want to invest in a very cheap throw rug (I found a nice hemp rug at Target for $25) so they have something a bit softer underfoot.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR litter training gone AWOL