Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A litter training

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • ilr369
      Participant
      36 posts Send Private Message

My bunny used to be littler trained, but now he is pooing and peeing not inside! He’s neutured, and I change the litter everyday. I even got a bigger little box and switched to “Yesterday’s News” just in case he didn’t like the old little anymore. I’ve seen him go in the little box, so he has no trouble getting in or out, but it seems likes he pees and poos in the little box every other time and the rest in random places. I put hay and basil in the little box too, but he eats in when he is not in his little box. What should i do??

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
        Participant
        319 posts Send Private Message

Is it near the litterbox or completely different area?

• ilr369
          Participant

It is within two feet radius of the little box usually.

The cage is 2 feet by 4 feet.

• Beka27
            Participant
            16016 posts Send Private Message

have there been any changes, moved litterbox or cage, new animals in the house (even if he cannot see them), a different routine for you or him?

he is doing this when he is confined in his cage, or when he has run-time? 

how big is his run area?  how often does he get exercise? 

is he peeing/pooing outside of the box right before or right after coming out to play?  are the poops in piles or scattered thruout?

do the poops look good and is the pee a normal consistency?

• ilr369
              Participant

I do remember hand feeding him a few pellets that day, but nothing else changed. He has been doing it when he was confined to his cage. His exercise area is 10ft by 10 ft, but he only stays in about 4ft by 4ft of the area. I’m not sure when he poos or pees outside. The poop isn’t exactly piles, but some are close together and some far away. The poop looks good and so is his pee.

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes this is an indication of a urinary tract infection as well.

• ilr369
                  Participant

What causes a urinary tract infection?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

Bacteria I think..Nothing that would be your fault at all -so no gult! OK? But if he’s peeing outside his box, you might want to get him checked at the vets just in case!

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

how was he over the weekend?

• ilr369
                        Participant

I added the litter box that he used to use so there was two little boxes. He used both, but there was still poop and pee else where, such as between the two little boxes.

Also i was wondering if other people used about a bag of yesterday’s new a week, or if I’m using too much, too quickly.

• Sarita
                          Participant

What size of Yesterday’s News are you getting? I know the one they sell for “small pets” is small. So if you get the larger cat one which is the same thing I don’t think you would use a whole bag and it’s MUCH cheaper.

• Lightchick
                            Participant
                            1017 posts Send Private Message

Definitely agree with Sarita. My Lizzy has 2 litter boxes and using the “rabbit” version it took a bag a week to keep them filled….eek! Expensive! The cat version is cheaper, and the bag lasts…oh, 3 weeks or so? Stopped counting…that’s how much better it is!

• ilr369
                              Participant

Thanks for the advice! Should i get the original texture or soft one?

• Sarita
                                Participant

I like the soft one better – I think it’s easier for them to balance on.

• Lightchick
                                  Participant
                                  1017 posts Send Private Message

I get the original…for no particular reason. Lizzy doesn’t seem to have a problem with it… (Every time I see the soft version in my local petstores, there’s always some artificial scent involved, which makes me a little nervous that it’ll turn her off on her litter box…ok, I guess I do have a reason for picking the original!)

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                    Participant
                                    12067 posts Send Private Message

You may be cleaning the litterbox too frequently since hes learning. Leave pee and poo in the box so the scent is there, don’t clean it unless you have to, only once/twice a week. Immediately clean the floor if he poos/pees there-so he doesn’t get used to the scent being there-thuroughly clean with vinegar.

Often litter habits are a small tweak that will fix the problem, so think creatively!!!

***My friends rabbit slept in his litter box and peed/pooped everywhere else; Solved the problem: Switched the litter that was in the box to use as bedding, the bedding to the litter box, and moved the box to another corner-perfect litter habbits OVERNIGHT

***I had been having issues since getting Chuck, all three have been pooping/peeing in a three foot diameter around the one of the litter boxes-thought to be territorial.
                                      I went to walmart and got giant shallow storage containers, and put one type of litter in one, one in the other. There hasn’t been a single stray poo or pee since I brought them home on Wednesday.

• ilr369
                                      Participant

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely try this!

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A litter training