Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR litter question

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Addicted
      Participant
      67 posts Send Private Message

Here’s the deal,my mini lops are pretty good about using the litter box but not perfect.

Pee,they only pee in the cage with about 90% of it in the litter box,but sometimes they go on the cage floor.

Poop,they go in the cage and in my living room,with about 90% being in the cage with a small fraction of it on the living room floor.Not a whole lot makes it in the litter box but at least most is in the cage.

Is this normal,I wish they just used the litter box all the time…LoL.

• BunMumTiff
        Participant
        241 posts Send Private Message

Have they been fixed? Also if they are just starting to litter train there habits will improve over time. As for poopin on the living room floor they are just marking there terrortory. But I was told once a rabbit is fixed there litter habits improve LOTS!

BUt I would say your little guys are on the right track

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Do you have litterboxes outside of the cage for them?  You may want to consider shirinking the space they have the run of until the litterbox habits improve then reward them with more space to run, so long as the litter habits are good.  It is normal to have some poops around.  My two I really lucked out with because only once in a great while is there one outside of the cage on the floor.

• Addicted
            Participant

They have not been fixed yet and i just added some more litter boxes.I’m really getting mad now,They have gotten so bad,They just go right next to the litter box every time as if they are saying”Hey,I know where to go but I’m just going here to get you mad”.This cleaning every hour is getting to be a real problem.What do i do?

• MooBunnay
              Participant
              3087 posts Send Private Message

Well, despite the fact that many bunnies do have a big personality, I’m pretty sure your buns aren’t mocking you The reason they are getting close to the box is because they know the smell of their litterbox, and know thats the area they are supposed to use as the bathroom, they probably just haven’t gotten the concept of the fact that they need to get IN the litterbox, and not just NEAR the litterbox. Babies are not perfect at litter training right away, and even my bunnies that are 100% litter trained do poop outside the box to mark their “territory” from time to time. There are some litter training tips on this site under the “Bunny Info” tab at the top of this page which I would recommend. Giving them a smaller area to play in will help, because they will just “mark” that area. When you clean up, put the stray poops into the litterbox to help them understand thats where the poops belong. Unfortunately, baby bunnies require a bit more patience than ones that are older, fixed, and litter trained, but the fact that you are able to train them now is much easier than beginning litter training with a bunny that is already into adulthood and not yet trained. The consistent pattern of picking up the stray poops and putting them in the box, and cleaning up the pees outside the box will definitely get you on the right track. Is your bunny’s hay in their litterbox too? That is what got all of my rabbits litter trained, the combination of cleaning up promptly, and putting their hay in their box really got them litter trained very quickly.

• Addicted
                Participant

I will try putting some hay in there,i also just bought two huge litter boxes that take up the whole area where they were going on the cage floor near the smaller litter box,i also put a few treats in there.The thing is they were good about the litter box and all of a sudden they just go next to it,at least they only pee in the cage…Lol.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

What stinkers.  Well if the larger litter box deal doesn’t work, you might want to "line" the cage with litterboxes to force them into going in one and when they stop going in one, you remove it.  This is also a technique for potty training a rabbit.  Like Moobunnay said, young’uns don’t usually ever have good habits, that normally happens or improves after they are fixed.

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

yup – sounds like they’re being bratty buns! sounds like you’ve done the right thing – i am guessing once they’re fixed it will really improve.

• hockeygurly17
                      Participant
                      17 posts Send Private Message

Mine generally pee in the litterbox everytime or they don’t at all. As for the poop, I’m just glad they get any of it in the box….

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR litter question