Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Litter question!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • JK
      Participant
      2223 posts Send Private Message

I have been using the stove pellets as litter and love them, however, I want to put a layer of something besides hay on top because I feel like I’m wasting too much hay. I need a layer of something over the pellets because Edson pees a lot and I don’t want his feet wet or him to track the sawdust that the pellets become when too wet. So I decided to try Carefresh and hate it!  Edson is fascinated by it and is trying to eat it! It also tracks all over – not any better than the pellets.  Any other suggestions? Or should I just use the hay?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

can you get straw? straw is cheaper right? would he try and eat it? it wouldn’t harm him and i think you could probably get a big ol’ bunch for very little.

• JK
          Participant

Straw? Where would I get straw?

• osprey
            Participant
            2065 posts Send Private Message

Are there any horse places in Mill Valley?  You can get cheap hay or straw bales at those kind of place, last forever and make good digging material for a fun box as well as good for lining the litter box.  Pet stores also sell straw in bags, probably more expensive that way.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
              Participant
              319 posts Send Private Message

The price difference between ‘wood stove pellets’ and ‘wood pellets for animal bedding’ are not much. The feed store that I go to, the price different is only a dollar. But the animal bedding pellets absord much more than the stove pellets. You might want to consider switching your pellets.

I put down some newspapers or a magazine at the bottom before I pour the litter into the litterbox. This also helps to absorb the urine.

• JK
                Participant

It’s not the $ I just don’t want to waste so much good hay! Maybe I’ll try some straw. Thanks!

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

We have made little screens to go over the litter.  The screen is a tight net, so that it doesn’t hurt their feet.  It allows the urine to go through, but keeps the poops on top and that also makes it easier to clean as I can easily dump the poo without wasting litter and hay, and it keeps their feet clean too. Jacks feet are white white!  (This was a picture from a long time ago, when I had my other bunny, Forrest, a young netherland dwarf -(hence the tiny poops)

Anyway, at the time we used cut mesh wire netting stuff and then glued corregatted wire covering around the edges (You have to do that otherwise the edges are too sharp.)

We did find a better way to make these, but we in the process of developing them to sell soon - patent pending, so I can’t yet share the full litterbunny secret!   

This is also great for diggers, because they can’t dig all the urine up and around.  Saves alot litter waste too due to that too because when I lift up the netting, ithere is usually just a perfect roundish area where the pee has settled.  Easy to scoop up.

• JK
                    Participant

Mmmm that looks very interesting.  I suppose I could find some kind of plastic slotted thing too.  I’ll have to research this.  What kind of litter do you use?  Is that Yesterday’s News? Thanks BB!

• Sarita
                      Participant
                      18851 posts Send Private Message

That looks really neat Binkybunny. North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary has some grates for their diggers too and I put one in Mango’s box but he refused to use the box so I took it out again. I have used the cat litter grated ones for my diggers too and that seems to work, but I find it a pain to clean the grate.

• rabbitsmba
                        Participant
                        475 posts Send Private Message

Try using one fo those “sifting” cat litter pans. Put the WSP on the bottom, then place the “sifter” on top. THis way, the pee will trickle through to the WSP underneath, poops will stay ontop for easy clean up and the sawdust from the wet pellets will not get on bunny’s feet.

• JK
                          Participant

Oooh that’s a great idea Rabbitsmba!  I will definitely go look for one of those.  Thanks!

• skunklionshow
                            Participant
                            1257 posts Send Private Message

OK binky…so when are you going to start selling these?

• BinkyBunny

Knowltons – at the time, it was yesterday’s news. I do really like that. I have found though that I like Aspen Supreme better. At first I was mixing the two, but now I use Aspen Supreme only.

Skunklion – We’re working on it. It has to go through testing, vets approval, all of that. So I would say six months before we have the litter grids would be ready to sell.

• JK
                                Participant

Binky – Is Aspen Supreme like the wood stove pellets?  Does it breakdown like sawdust if really wet?

• BinkyBunny

yes, it does breakdown like sawdust, but the difference I found from woodstove pellets (used to use those a few years ago) is that the Aspen is amazing with odor control. It makes a big difference when have a several bunnies.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Litter question!