Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Litter options

• This topic has 15sd replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by JK.
Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • FergieJen
      Participant
      21 posts Send Private Message

Hello all,  I have been using Carefresh for the buns (5 of them, including mom who was a rescue and her “surprise” 4 babies).  They have 3 litter boxes and I change them every day (see forum comments on litter training issues! LOL!).  Thing is, I’m going through Carefresh like it’s tissue paper and it is not cheap, as we all know.

Any suggestions for alternate litter?  Yesterday’s News I know is an option but the bunny kind is a bit more expensive than the kitty kind.  Does anyone know if you can use Kitty Yesterday’s News or if you have to use the one for buns? 

Thanks in advance!!!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Kitty kind is fine, just steer clear of the scented ones! That’s what I use! I love carefreash but its way too expensive in my opinion!

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

you can definitely use the kitty kind. i actually buy a 40lb bag of off-brand pressed paper pellets at the pet supply store. one bag usually lasts me about 3 months and it’s 25 bucks a bag. you might try putting a little less if possible. when i first got Meadow i was putting a lot in the box, not i put a very thin layer and she doesn’t know the difference.  or try combining the carefresh with a less expensive type as “filler”

• babybunsmum
            Participant
            3896 posts Send Private Message

i can just imagine the litter you go thru with 5 buns!  i use the unscented kitty version of yesterdays news & it’s great.  i want to try wood stove pellets which some say is also great & less money but i haven’t gone looking for them yet.  apparently they’re sold in hardware stores.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

I went looking for wood stove pellets…a few times…everyone looked at me like I was an alien and a few times I was shown Pallets!! I’ll have to find them on my own I guess! LOL

• JK
                Participant
                2223 posts Send Private Message

I use the stove pellets and they work well.  Since I change it daily I just use a thin layer and add hay to it so that Edson’s feet don’t get wet.  I get 40lbs. for $8.  Stove pellets are meant for pellet stoves so I would think they would be easy find.  Try building supply stores.

• wendyzski
                  Participant
                  1312 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been completely unable to find the wood stove pellets in Chicago, so I use Feline Pine.  Not too spendy, GREAT with odor (I change once a week) and flushable and biodegradable.

• JK
                    Participant

Is Feline Pine pine shavings? If so, that is really bad for rabbits!

• Hannah
                      Participant
                      274 posts Send Private Message

Humphrey refused to litter train on Carefresh, so I went looking for wood stove pellets– and what a difference it made in a day! His litterbox is full of the pellets (they absorb odor even better than Carefresh, so you really don’t have to change it too often, so that cuts down on spending– the pellets are also CHEAP, like $5 for a 30-40lb bag…), but I still keep his cage-proper full of Carefresh ’cause it’s softer on the feeties and he’s a chubby rex (ergo, just begging for sore hocks). However, I only have to change that if he misses, so I don’t go through much of it now. If you can’t find them, your best bet is a small hardward store– big places like Lowe’s and Home Depot (I wouldn’t go to Lowe’s, anyway, they were involved in some sort of animal cruelty thing, I think) only carry them in the winter. Places like Aubuchon’s and Do-It-Best hardward stores don’t get rid of their stock the rest of the year, though, because they’re so small. They’re worth the hunt. Seriously.

• FergieJen
                        Participant
                        21 posts Send Private Message

What helpfull suggestions!!! I’ve compared the Y.N. prices online and I think that with shipping in consideration, I’d be better off buying locally, though I hate HATE buying from stores that sell buns. Alas, it isn’t always an option. I will look for the wood pellets, too, as now I’m intrigued! Thank you again everyone for such great suggestions. I am so glad I found binkybunny.com!

• JodiM
                          Participant
                          99 posts Send Private Message

Again! Adding my two cents… I just love the wood stove pellets!! They are awesome!

I’m Canadian, so not sure what you guys have down south. But I bought mine at Home Hardware for $5 or $6 for 40lb bag.  I have two rabbits and I bought six bags, hoping they will last me the summer as the woodstove pellets are hard to find in the summer.  I asked at the hardware store and they told me they don’t carry them in the summer.  So if I run out I may have to go back to using Yesterdays News until winter.

• tobyluv
                            Participant
                            3310 posts Send Private Message
                              Posted By knowltons4 on 05/05/2008 11:13 AM

No, Feline Pine is not pine shavings, and it is a recommended litter for rabbits.  It is compressed pine pellets that do not have the dangerous aromatic oils that are bad for rabbits.  I have used it in the past, but I do not like the way it smells–like lumber.  I use Oxbow Eco-Straw pellets, which unfortunately have to be ordered and they are expensive.

• JK
                              Participant

Oh good. I had not heard of those before.

• Gravehearted
                                Participant
                                2428 posts Send Private Message

Osprey turned us on to Aspen Supreme, which is safe and rocks with the odor. We have a local shop where they stock the 50 pound bag for $20, which is WAYYY less than the smaller bags.

• wendyzski
                                  Participant
                                  1312 posts Send Private Message

Posted By knowltons4 on 05/05/2008 11:13 AM

(*sighs*)  No it isn’t.  It’s compressed pellets made from sawdust – the harmful phenols are baked out in processing.   It’s the same stuff at wood stove pellets,  but more widely available and not as cheap. I started using it because it’s what the local rescue uses.

I suppose that I’m glad that people have gotten the message about pine=bad, but I have to keep answering the same question.  Maybe we should get them to change their name to ‘Feline Wood PelletsThat Are Safe For Bunnies No Really….”

• JK
                                    Participant

Well when “cat (feline)” and “pine” are in the name it is very confusing! I’m sure you are sick of people asking but at least we know now! Thanks!

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Litter options