Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Litter: how much Wood Stove Pellets do you use?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • MelM
      Participant
      17 posts Send Private Message

Hi there! I’ve been using a single layer of wood stove pellets in our lil guy’s litter box and I change it every other day or so. I notice that some people use a lot more wood pellets, an amount that compares to that of a cat’s litter box. Would love to know how much you use and why…?

My bun spends a good amount of time eating in his litter box which causes him to have stained paws. It’s been a year and we’ve already ruled out any health conditions. I also noticed that when I moved the hay out of his box to another location, his feet became nice and clean – however by doing that I had to deal with a lot of poop outside of the litter box, because of how they love to poop and eat at the same time.

Any thoughts, much appreciated!

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

The amount of litter used a lot of time is contingent on how often the owner is willing to change the box, in addition to the size of the litterbox relative to the rabbit’s pee-volume-capacity. I also only use a single layer and change soiled litter out daily.

I know some people actually pre-wet their pine pellets to get it partially pelleted and partially grainy to layer it more efficiently/comfortably for their rabbits. I also know some people who start out with a thin layer of the litter and then simply add on top for a few days instead of cleaning it out immediately.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• MelM
          Participant
          17 posts Send Private Message

Very interesting, thanks!

I add a little more the second day. I think I’ll try starting with more than just the one layer and see if that works out better. I played around with different sized boxes. I found that with a larger box, he loved to move the hay around and it got soiled very easily which led to a lot more waste. I’m not sure I’ll ever figure this out lol

• Ellie from The Netherlands
              Participant
              2512 posts Send Private Message

We change both boxes daily. Our bunnies only go in the rear corners of the boxes. I fill half of the box with pellets and gather it in the corners, then I add a 2 cm layer of hay.

This way they’ll have their feet dry, but we don’t go through a bag of pellets each week.

• Azerane
              4688 posts Send Private Message

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I use wood pellets but I use them in a sifting litter tray. This means that most of the urine is running through and keeping their feet clean. I put a sprinkling of wood pellets in the bottom catch tray, and then a single layer of wood pellets in the sieve tray where they sit. They pull a lot of hay out of the rack into the tray but it’s not a big deal.</p>
                <p style=”text-align: left;”>I have two trays for my pair and when I’m good I change one tray every day, alternating which tray gets cleaned. When I do this the trays only need spot cleaning and most of the pellets in the top tray can be left in. However I do sometimes leave both trays for 3 days and then just dump everything in the tray.</p>

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Litter: how much Wood Stove Pellets do you use?