Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Litter digging

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Cinnimon&Ollie
      Participant
      300 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I got a new litter box which I was hopeful would stop my bunny from digging. Well, it didn’t :/  and I can’t think of anything to try to stop her. Do you guys have any ideas?

• Bunniesareamazing
        Participant
        25 posts Send Private Message

Which litter do you use? My bunny loves digging in paper bedding. I would recommend maybe switching litter and making a separate dig box with the litter she likes to dig in. If she’s still big on digging I’d just get a litterbox with high sides to prevent it from going everywhere. You could also get a dig mat maybe? I would introduce more methods for enrichment to help her have more stimulation as well. Snuffle mats, puzzle toys, scatter feeding, different material toys, hay rollers, more hides and tunnels, and the list goes on. Just make sure when you’re using something new you watch them, with snuffle mats and puzzle toys I wouldn’t leave them out incase she tries to chew them. Binkybunny has a lot of stuff you can use for enrichment. She also might want to run around more so give her some extra play time in a big area. Hope this helps!

• Wick & Fable
          5781 posts Send Private Message

A litter screen is sometimes very helpful in preventing digging. Also a larger litterbox can also help, and, counter-intuitively, one with low sides too. While high-sides prevents litter from coming out, it sometimes serves as a bowl that just encourages the rabbit to dig and dig and dig since the litter just keeps falling back in.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
            16898 posts Send Private Message

Yes! Yes! Two words: Litter screen. Works miracles!

• Vivicloud
              Participant
              51 posts Send Private Message

@Wick or @LBJ10 what do you use for a litter screen?

• LBJ10

The one sold in the BinkyBunny store.

• SJ
                  Participant
                  15 posts Send Private Message

Have you tried the hooded litter boxes?

• Vivicloud
                    Participant
                    51 posts Send Private Message

@LBJ10 my BB liter screen comes Saturday and let me tell you it can’t come fast enough. Luna has just been digging the heck out of her litter box. Hay and carefresh everywhere…..all mixed together.  Lol

• LBJ10

Oh good! Hopefully that does the trick. It worked miracles for me.

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                        Participant

I have used a litter screen before but her paws were getting starting to get sore hocks. I got a giant litter box that has a hay rack and bedding in to different parts to see if that helps while it didn’t. I have tried pibe pellets but my other bunny eats them. I have tried digging toys and snuffle mats, which she played with and then went to dig. I haven’t tried a hooded liter box but the one they have now was really expensive   with hope that it would work. I have tried puzzle toys but they don’t like them. They have lots of enrichment and new toys a lot. I currently use care fresh paper bedding. Sorry for the later response.

• Wick & Fable
                            5781 posts Send Private Message

Not all screens are equal. There are many screens that sit comfortably right on top of the litter and they are created in a way that generally does not facilitate sore hocks either. Here’s an example with plastic knitting mesh: https://www.reddit.com/r/Rabbits/comments/sh5dzp/housing_example_litterbox_setup/

The screens that are elevated above litter and those that are not made of a flat + comfortable material can definitely aggravate hocks.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
                            8930 posts Send Private Message

What about just using a slightly deeper box with less litter in it? That way when she does dig it doesn’t make as much of a mess?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                              Participant

I have tried putting less litter she dogs some of it out not as much but then her and my other bunnys paws get stained. I can’t do a taller litter box because it won’t fit.

• Bunsies
                                Participant
                                20 posts Send Private Message

Some bunnies just can’t hold back their instinct to dig. You could try getting her a deeper container filled with toys and soft litter (no hay or she will use it as the bathroom) and try to get her to use that as her “dig box” perhaps try something that has 3 really high sides and 1 lower side for her to jump in to help with the mess. But you night just have to live with the digging and of coarse the mess. How old is she? Does she tend to dig more some seasons than others?

• Bunsies
                                  Participant
                                  20 posts Send Private Message

Oh sorry I didn’t read that you can’t do a taller box. Still you could try a separate box designated specifically to digging. Let me know if you’ve figured it out 😊

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Litter digging