Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Forums DIET & CARE Litter

• This topic has 48sd replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Reeem.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Reeem
    Participant

Is this litter safe ? Its the only litter i can get  my hands on, im out of her old litter which was shavings.. Is the pine okay ?

Jadeo09
    Participant

No
    Pine is dangerous and I stay away from wood that cannot be certified small pet safe

Jadeo09
    Participant

Shredded toilet roll would possibly be safer as long as its not centre. But I’d put allot of hay on top of it.
    Is this a permanent problem or you mean its all you have at the moment.
    Because saw dust is just as dangerous.
    Care fresh is the best and eliminates odour and only a tiny amount is needed as its extremely absorbent
    Better be safe than sorry though

Jadeo09
    Participant

Its really good that you checked though
    Great job!

Reeem
    Participant

I live in a whole other country.. They dont sell carefrsh here. The wood shavings work well and its safe wood for small animals. Why is it bad ? We have been using it for a long time with no problems. It is probably my only option.

Reeem
    Participant

Ive also read that pine shavings are bad but the pelleted pine litter is okay. They say that feline pine is safe for rabbits.

Jadeo09
    Participant

Any pine is dangerous
    Do You live in UK like me I saw waitrose on photo so I just presumed?
    Jade

Jadeo09
    Participant

They cause liver damage (which happens over time) and can cause respiratory damage?
    I’ve never took the risk.
    Recycled Paper based bedding is best do they have that where you live?
    Jade

Jadeo09
    Participant
    Jadeo09
    Participant

Soy based ink newspaper ask ink is toxic to rabbits but soy based in isn’t and is widely used.
    If you could call your local newspaper and ask them that type of ink they use .
    Or shredded paper with no ink on but that could get expensive

I’m presuming its for the bottom of the litter tray?
    Jade

BunLuv
    Participant

Pine is only dangerous in shaved form. The wood pellets are fine. I actually use pine stove pellets as they are slightly cheaper than animal bedding.

BunLuv
    Participant

Special note on ” compressed sawdust pelleted ”

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/liver-disease.html

Jadeo09
    Participant

Not according to exerts all pine is dangerous there’s a link I provided that says so.
    I wouldn’t personally take that risk but other people do.

Reeem
    Participant

I live in Dubai which doesn’t really sell things for rabbits cause very rarely you’ll see people taking care of their rabbits as a pet. Here rabbits are always outdoors in farms. It gets up to 45 degrees. So if no one cares about rabbits , people won’t make items for rabbits. Expect pet shops obviously. I found another litter which is ” 100% recycled paper ” that would be safe right ?

Reeem
    Participant

Using normal newspaper is not really an option. She loves to eat newspaper.

Jadeo09
    Participant

yes recycled paper should be great

I think your great for doing your best by your rabbit!

Reeem
    Participant

Thanks !! Only one problem now.. She eats the paper based litter , any of you had the same problems ?

BunLuv
    Participant

Yes the pine oils cause liver damage as indicated in the link I posted under ” pine shavings “. The compressed sawdust pellets don’t have the oils. People everywhere in the world use them, including the rabbit rescue.

Jadeo09
    Participant

compressed pine pellets cause problems too they warn against them in lots of articles.
    they still can cause liver and respiratory problems.
    I wouldn’t take that risk personally when there are safe alternatives

Jadeo09
    Participant

does he even eat it when you put hay over it?

Reeem
    Participant

I put a layer of the paper litter , another layer of shavings , and then another layer of hay. She is a big digger so she gets to the bottom and eats it as if its like her food or something! I got that under control i just have to save a bit of money to buy packs of litter. Its quite expensive here.

Jadeo09
    Participant

Here’s an old post that’s usual
    Followed by the usual debate of pines safety.
    If you get the screen I’d say its safer to use them because they can’t get near them

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/119355/Default.aspx

Jadeo09
    Participant
    Jadeo09
    Participant
    Reeem
    Participant

We have ordered before from amazon but it costs a lot! Buying that litterbox would cost around 120 dhs which is 32 dollars. I dont really have a way of getting money so saving up takes quite sometime. Also the delivery will take around a week or so. For me right now thats not possible. A 60 ltr would cost around 7 dollars here. how much is it there ?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.