Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A linseed oil finish… toxic?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

i’ve been browsing all of the NIC condo’s & planning a new set-up for baby bun.  i have this piece of pine (1×8 shelf) that i want to cut to use for 2 ramps.  i bought several unfinished shelves & rubbed linseed oil on them for finish maybe 5 yrs ago & then decided i didn’t need this one.  would this finish be toxic if she nibbled on it?  she may not even go at it but i want to be safe.  thanks in advance if you have any idea about this (a google search turned up un-informative to me)

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

Well, I didn’t know anything about the safety of linseed oil, but in googling it sounds like some people feed it to their show rabbits to get glossy coats, linseed meal is listed as an ingredient in some pellets and another site recommended it as a laxative. So my guess is it isn’t likely to be toxic. None of the info was from what I consider trusted sources, so if you’re nervous you may wish to sand off the oil.

• babybunsmum
          Participant

thanks gravehearted!  i ended up finding some info (not necessarily from trusted sources tho) about it being toxic to rats & horses when fed ‘large doses’ daily.  i don’t know why they were doing this & i don’t know what quantifies ‘large’.  i think it would be fine unless she really goes-to-town chewing it, but i’m avoiding it just incase.  i browsed through some of the pics under ‘cool habitats’ and have decided i don’t really need ramps anyways.  maybe if piggies were living in it… but baby should manage the levels fine

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

you can always put a short, squat box between the first and second floor while she’s getting used to things. I ended up making a step using, one grid and a bunch of zip ties. However, they have no issue hopping from 2 – 3rd floor without a step.

Just last night I saw Viktor leap from his litterbox (opposite side of their house) diagonally up to the 3rd floor perch. He made it look effortless, it was like a surreal Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon – float, flying thing! he he

• babybunsmum
              Participant

lol!  i can picture that…. viktor the great!

• Scarlet_Rose
                Participant
                4293 posts Send Private Message

I ended up making some steps up to each level because they are shy about making the leap altogether. Originally I had ramps for my buns but felt they needed more exercise with the jumping. When they get older though and have a hard time jumping, the ramps will go back up.

• babybunsmum
                  Participant

thats a good point.  thats partially why i’m re-arranging baby’s area.  right now she uses a cage for her litter that opens on the top which was problematic after her surgery.  i have NIC thingy’s anyways, so i’m going to build another condo (have a better design in mind than what i have now) and try to transition her to a new set-up in it with her food & water & a smaller litter pan.  i think this will be MUCH easier to clean than her cage which is currently a bit of a production.  also, since she’s become VERY adventerous after her surgery, i need to be able to close her in when i’m out & about and would rather leave her room door open so she’s less isolated. 

11219183261971.JPG

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A linseed oil finish… toxic?