Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Licking!!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gingerxmistyxo
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys,

Just wondering if someone could shed some light on some behaviour my bun has recently decided to take up as her new habit. Misty is female and just turned 2. Oh also she’s spayed. Ginger is just older, also 2 but male and he is neutered too. They have been bonded for well over a year. Anyway Misty has decided to start licking everything. Her favourite seems to be metal and she’ll spend time licking her mesh on the hutch doors. They free roam at Least 16 hours a day and so it’s not a case of her licking them because their hutch door has been closed. She’s even doing it when they’re wide open. When she’s had enough of that she’ll move onto the radiators and the locks on the hutch…. sometimes even my wooden doors. It’s only happened for the past couple of days so I’m not sure what to do. Both buns have always been fans of licking my sheets and duvet covers but never have they been so lick obsessed haha. If anyone has any tips or info on what is causing it or how I can maybe redirect the behaviour that would be great. Thanks in advance!!

xx

• Hazel
      Participant
      2524 posts Send Private Message

There could be lots of reasons, it could just be a new behavior, or possibly a nutrient deficiency. What are you feeding? It could also be indicative of a problem with her teeth. Is she eating normally? Have you noticed any drooling?

• Bam
      14909 posts Send Private Message

As Hazel says, look over her diet first of all, just to rule out any type of deficiency. A bun should have hay available 24/7, about 2 tablespoons of good quality pellets and some leafy greens. Hay should be at least 80% of the diet.

My first thought would be a dental problem. The licking could be an effort to relieve pain in the mouth. Dental problems are common in rabbits. You need a vet to check the teeth, because the inner teeth can only be seen with an otoscope. You can check her front teeth yourself. Sometimes a bun has an accident and breaks an incisor, and that can cause trouble with the other teeth as well as the balance of the jaws becomes disrupted.

Is she eating same as she always has? Rabbits with dental problems often start to avoid certain foods because they’re difficult or painful to chew.

• Gingerxmistyxo
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys, sorry for the late response! Thanks for all the info. Her health’s all good. I have since switched their water bottle to a water bowl and more or less as soon as I did the behaviour stopped. After discussions with a few people and a vet, I narrowed it down to the fact she wasn’t getting a sufficient amount of water and she was licking anything she found with a similar texture to the straw. Thank goodness I realised quickly! They’re both doing great now.

again thanks so much for replying!!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Licking!!!