Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Leaving your bunny for a period of time

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Casper
      Participant
      10 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

My family is planning to go away from friday morning until Sunday afternoon and we are not sure if we are able to take our bunny with us yet, is this to long to leave him in his cage? How long can you leave a bunny in a cage?

Thanks

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

Hi Casper,

Do you have a friend or neighbor who could come in and feed him on Saturday and maybe Sunday morning and possibly let him out to run on Saturday? It really would be the best for him.

He’ll need fresh veggies, hay and pellets – it’s better not to just leave him for so long while you’ll be away. Getting exercise is important too – but if you were able to let him run on Friday before you left and Sunday when you get home, he’d likely be ok without the run time on Saturday, if they can only come by to feed and pet him.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
          Participant
          319 posts Send Private Message

It’s not a good idea to leave him unless you have someone to take care of him. If you leave 2 days worth of food at all once, it’s most likely that he’ll eat all in a day. And he’ll be starving for rest of the days.
            If you cant find someone, you can hire a pet sitter. My pet sitter charges only $20 per visit and spends about half an hour with them.

• JK
            Participant
            2223 posts Send Private Message

I have yet to leave Edson and I’m worried sick about it as we are planning a trip this summer. I’ve decided against someone coming to the house as I know Edson will be way too lonely. I guess that’s another reason to get a 2nd bunny. I definitely do not think you can leave your bun that long with no one to check on him. Can you attach an xpen to his cage for more exercise? They need daily care for sure.

• Bunnies4ever
              Participant
              368 posts Send Private Message

I know it’s always a concern when you have to leave your babies for a extended period of time. I had to go out of town for an emergency one weekend and I had to leave my bunnies. My husband kept an eye on them for me. If you can’t find someone who can come to your house, maybe you can take your bunny to their house? The only other alternative would be to board them and that can cause stress on your bunny. I’m fortunate enough to have a House Rabbit Society not far from me that boards rabbits and a rabbit sitter. Good luck.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

I often go away for weekends, camping, in the summer time; I set my buns up-> super clean their cage and load up food and water, and let them have a good romp. Then I have my parents come check on them on Saturday. They know there is nothing that *has* to be done as long as a disaster hasn’t happened (water tipping/leaking etc.) except let them out for a bit and check on everything. Then I come home Sunday and clean the cage and let them out for a play and deal with rabbitude (“YOU left US!!”) for a couple hours….

It’s pretty easy to recruit someone to just check on them, if no work has to be done! Good luck!

• Binkles
                  Participant
                  823 posts Send Private Message

I had to leave Binkles for a little over a week last summer a few weeks after her spay surgery. But she was visited twice a day by a very dear friend of mine. Even so, of course, I was constantly worried SICK that whole week, and constantly had my friend updating me on her status.

I personally think it’s best to leave them in their familiar environments if you’re not going to be with them. There’s never a good time to stress out a bunny.

• Hedi
                    Participant
                    969 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know where you are but I have seen many House Rabbit Society webpages has a list of rabbit sitters. Is there an HRS close to you? If they don’t have a list on their website maybe you can email them and ask what they suggest? Or email a local bunny rescue- I know some of them offer this as a service.
                      Does anyone on here live close to you?

I have heard people leaving buns at those dog retreats when gone for a longer period of time. But I think my buns would freak out and be upset the entire time w/ the strange place and barking dogs.

I always get the cold shoulder when we come back from being gone. I am lucky that my inlaws love the buns (the only grandkids they have for now) so we have bunnysitters when needed.
                      The biggest fear is that if something happened, like your bun stops eating or pooping, there needs to be someone to catch it. And I agree w/ above-my buns would eat ALL their food in one sitting and have nothing left for the rest of the time.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Leaving your bunny for a period of time