Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Leaving bunny when holiday-ing

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • talesOfTybalt
      Participant
      104 posts Send Private Message

Okay SOO, not that I’m planning on holiday-ing anytime soon but I was just wondering about guidelines for bunny care when I am away…

I’m okay for short trips for work, I have to travel sometimes but not longer than 4ish days and I have a little brother who is great with Tybalt so I trust leaving him at home but my concern is with family trips when the whole clan is away.

For my specific scenario, I have relatives who also have a bunny that have said will gladly look after my little Tyb for me – I am definitely going to have him neutered as soon as vets over here open up for those kinds of non emergency surgeries but I don’t think they are planning on getting their doe spayed. I don’t know how I feel about bunny boarding but the pro to family is obviously the lack of expense and I’d rather have people I trust since I’m going to be putting him through that stress of temporarily relocating anyway. If I’m gone say for 2 weeks, will the 2 buns have to be kept in separate cages the whole time? If they are, is it okay for them to have playtime every day together as they are obviously not bonded? Even if their doe is spayed, will there be issues to look out for?

I’m more worried about Tybalt as their bun is a feisty, sassy girl but he’s a little more reserved and soft hearted haha.

Any info I will appreciate, thanks!! 🙂

• Peanutthebunny
        Participant
        239 posts Send Private Message

ok, so this is if you want to find a good pet sitter the videos above ^^^^

I think maybe take your families doe over to your house after getting spayed and just let them meet each other for the first time I hope this helps

• Wick & Fable
          5782 posts Send Private Message

The two would need to be housed separately. There is a major possibility that the family’s rabbit would react with territorial aggression with another rabbit coming into the territory. It’s not for certain, but is likely. House rabbits aren’t the type of pet that can have spontaneous playdates, especially in one of the rabbit’s territory.

I would be against the idea of play dates because the likelihood that both parties would enjoy it is low in my opinion. Speed dates and such that you see occur at shelters can be less dangerous not only because someone is supervising, but also because the rabbits are meeting in a neutral territory. In the case of the family housing your rabbit, the rabbits would be meeting in that family’s rabbit’s territory, leading to pressures to attack intruders.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
            8935 posts Send Private Message

Ditto Wick. Other bunny owner is a plus, but they would need to be kept separate, which would likely be much more of a hassle for them. Perhaps one of them could come care for your bun at your place?

PS. Un-related to your question, but if possible you might encourage them to spay their girl. Many people do not know about the risk of reproductive cancers, which tend to cut female life spans in half. 🙁

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• talesOfTybalt
              Participant

@RabbitLover908 – I don’t think your videos linked or posted properly in your reply, I can’t see them 🙁

@Wick
                and @DanaNM – They don’t live close so I don’t know if one member would come to look after him. If they’re okay with me setting up his xpen at their place, that would work right? And I’d just have to make sure that their playtime is separate and they take turns coming out so they’re never quite near each other?

PS – I’m already going to try and persuade them to get their doe spayed, I think a little nudging and some hard facts about dangers of uterine cancer should definitely do the trick, I’ve not pestered them a lot about it now because the country’s in lockdown and also she’s only 3 months ish – they should wait til she’s like 5/6 months right? But don’t worry I’ve got my powers of persuasion ready at hand 🙂

• DanaNM
                8935 posts Send Private Message

Haha good to know about the spaying persuasion! And yes she’s so young they have plenty of time.

Yep if they are OK with you setting up her pen and are very aware of risks Wick mentioned, sounds OK to me. Some bunnies (esp females) get super mad when another comes into their house, other’s don’t mind too much. Usually they get used to it after a bit though. Having your bun in a separate area and not roaming in her turf should help.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
                  5782 posts Send Private Message

With the separate xpen in the space, there will likely need to be a barrier as well so they wouldn’t try to nip each other through the pen wall, so keep that in mind!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Peanutthebunny
                    Participant

yes listen to wick I’ve never owned a bunny I am not sure what to do but I hope I helped even just a little bit 🙂

• Peanutthebunny
                      Participant

Hi Tybalt how are you I’ve got this video I found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPFBXZ_JEcM – 101rabbits how to prepare for a pet sitter

and I also found this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hrd-SYHwjA – Lennon the bunny how to find a good pet sitter

I hope this works your welcome

• talesOfTybalt
                        Participant

Yeah I was just thinking of setting up his pen in a different room completely so they barely know the other is in the same house haha

RabbitLover908 thanks for the links! I’ll check them out 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Leaving bunny when holiday-ing