Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A leaving bunny behind

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • LittlePuffyTail
      18092 posts Send Private Message

I noticed there is a lot of talk about pet sitting and I have a situation:

I am going to Florida for 7 days in February. I have never been away from my bunnies. I have a friend who will more than likely come and stay at my house (she is a bunny owner and vet assistant). I am, however, EXTREMELY stressed about leaving my bunnies behind. I’m so scared they get sick (especially since Stormy has been having bouts of GI Statis and I heard stress can trigger this).  The worst thing in the world for me would be for a pet to get sick and die while I’m not able to be with them.

I’m not too worried about Bindi because he is a pretty mellow, low stress kinda guy but Stormy is a super stress ball. He HATES to be handled and totally freaks out if anyone but me puts their hand in his cage (even his Daddy). I’m so scared that he will be so stressed he will get sick. What do you think.? Would he eventually get used to her? How have your bunnies reacted? If only they understood….

I’m so worried about this to the point that I actually cancelled my trip because I knew I would worry and not have as good a time, but due to a huge guilt trip from my family the trip is back on but I’ve shortened my stay. 

I’m so hoping my bun savvy friend will be the one to sit. If not her, it will have to be my fiance’s sister who is a sweetheart but not rabbit savy. I plan on getting the sitter to meet Storm a couple of times before I leave.

Sorry for the long post but I really need some advice (and a chill pill, anyone have any of those…?)

• MarkBun
        Participant
        2842 posts Send Private Message

I would say that they will be fine. As long as the person feeding Stormy is quick about it and doesn’t try to cuddle him, he should be fine. Make sure that the sitter has some extras of his favorite treats.

Oh, and as for the chill pill

http://www.herbspro.com/15219/CHILLPILL.htm

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I think if you can get someone to actually stay at your house that would be great. It would be the most ideal situation for the buns too since they will be in familiar surroundings. It sounds like your friend would actually be perfect since she is a bunny owner and a vet tech and would understand your concerns about Stormy.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Yes, your friend sounds the best, being a bunny owner and a vet assistant…Could you have her over a couple times while you are still there? Also, leave some clothes or towels you maybe don’t mind gettting holes in that smell like you for in their cage-this might make it less stressful! You could leave a list of symptoms of his GI stasis so she could spot it right away, also you could have her phone every day or you could phone her?

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

i was gonna say what K&K said about having your friend over your house… but maybe even without you.  would she be able to come by for an hour or so a week while you’re at work or something (if it’s not horribly inconvenient).  she could do some work or read or something non-threatening.  the buns will get used to her being there without you, but you’ll be back soon enough.

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

The first time that I had to hire a pet sitter, I called them almost once a day.  I’m such a freak!  She told me that some people just need to do that and it was ok….I think she was being kind.  My upcoming holiday trip will be the first time that I will be leaving my diabetic cat, since the dx.  I’ve been a bit stressed, but addressed these concerns w/ my pet sitter.  I also printed up diabetes information, i.e. noticing a diabetic coma, for him.  Initially I was going to have her stay at the vet for boarding, but I didn’t think it would be fair to stress her out w/ being away from her home and kitty bed.

Yes, it can be nerve wracking, esp if its a pet w/ health issues or past health probs.  The best thing you can do is to provide information, check in as much as you need, and prepare as best you can.  From a psychology point of view, if there is anxiety, it likely stems from your personal feelings of discomfort….how Freud of me!

• LittlePuffyTail

You can bet I will be calling home once a day! My pets are my babies and it’s gonna be so hard to be away from them so long..

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

Taking some pictures/videos with you can help you! I was showing the same pictures to my family for a week when I was away, telling the same stories, because I missed Kokanee so much!

• LittlePuffyTail

I plan on bringing pics of all my babies with me! I couldn’t stand to not see how cute they are for a whole week!!! It’s funny, you go into my house and see my pets and then you see dozens and dozens of pics of them all over the place! Lol, that will be my hotel room for a week.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

The most important thing I can think of when leaving them is writing out their normal schedule including times and make sure that it is adhered to. Bunnies like a schedule to stay the same and it can stress them if it doesn’t. I took a pic of them with my camera phone and made it my wallpaper and kept their photo saved on the digital camera so I could have a pic of them while I was away. If it is going to be the non-bunny person, make sure they understand the signs when to take the rabbit to the vet and it cannot wait like it often can with other animals. Or if she can have a rabbit savvy person there to call and come check to make sure.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A leaving bunny behind