Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Lazy Bunny?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • BakingBunny
      Participant
      66 posts Send Private Message

Hello, my bunny doesn’t have much energy. She sleeps almost all day. She also breathes super fast and sometimes “sighs” or “huffs”. I took her to the vet and she said her lungs are normal and she is healthy. But I’m a first time rabbit owner and am still not certain if this behavior is normal. I’ve had her for a month now. I’m not sure if she’s just hot or lazy? Anyone else have experience with this?

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

I know you’d like answers, but a few questions first to narrow down what might be going on:

1. Is the vet you saw a 1) rabbit-experienced AND 2) exotic veterinarian?
          2. How old is your rabbit?
          3. Is your rabbit spayed? If so, how long?
          4. Has she always been this way?
          5. What is her diet (content + quantities)?
          6. Is it relatively hot where she is housed?

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• BakingBunny
            Participant

1.) Yes and yes. I took her to Northwood Animal Hospital. They are very experienced with bunnies.

2.) I was told by the rescue that she was 10 months (now is 11 months). But the vet said she thinks she’s around a year to a year and a half (not that big a difference).

3.) Yes she is spayed. I got her 5 days after she was spayed, so she’s been fixed for around a month.

4.) She has always been this way since I got her. The only new part is her sighs/huffs.

5.) She eats mainly mixed hay. I forgot the mix name exactly (I took whatever they were feeding her in the rescue). I give her 1-2 tablespoons of Timothy hay pellets for breakfast and around 2 cups of veggies for dinner (green and red leaf lettuce, parsley, cilantro, romaine).

6.) It is pretty warm. We use the air conditioner all day. But it has been very hot lately (High 90s). Our air conditioning only manages to make the house around 78 negrees (during the day). I supply her with frozen water bottles and she has a cold tile she likes to lay on.

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

Based on what you’ve mentioned, I think heat may be the main factor here, especially if she’s always been like this. The signs/huffs can actually be a sign of relaxation too. As long as her health-related behaviors (energy, poop, pee, appetite) seem normal/unchanged, it sounds like she is sighing in the heat of the moment, perhaps!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• BakingBunny
                Participant

Okay, thank you so much! I feel so relieved. She still eats and poops just fine. I was just worried cause she’s always tired. She runs around the house, does one or two binkies, and she’s done for a while. I was thinking maybe she could be like this cause it’s hot or just plain lazy. I just wanted to get another opinion. Thanks again!

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Lazy Bunny?