Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Laundry tips?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Meg
      Participant
      560 posts Send Private Message

Hi all!  🙂

So now that Teddy (13) is no longer able to use a litterbox (even super low-entry, he won’t try it), I’m following the disabledrabbits(dot)com bedding advice and just tried washing the Sheepette that’s the top layer of his area.  Now I’m wondering if there’s any way to do this without continuing to create disasters in our washing machine and/or dryer going forward? ;P

I tried shaking the material out as much as possible before washing it, but of course hay + urine + the very fluffy Sheepette material = everything stuck all in it.  It does need to be laundered, especially to get the urine out, and the material itself came out decent enough.  But the washer and dryer were another story!  The washer was completely lined with hay pieces, as well as some poops.  I wiped it out thoroughly by hand and then ran a rinse cycle, and that was effective (if kind of wasteful of water).  But the dryer drum was covered in a fine hay dust that was trickier to get out to a point where I’d want to use it dry our own clothes or nice towels.  (I’d tried shaking out the Sheepette material again before putting it in the dryer, but still.)

Is there anything I can do differently here?  🙂  Thanks so much!!

• Bunniesareamazing
        Participant
        25 posts Send Private Message

I’m not sure if this would damage the sheepette but maybe you could try using a dustpan brush and/or a squeegee to remove some of that hay and fur gunk before it goes in the washer. Worked well with my blankets but I’ve never used sheepette. I would first shake it out then brush off the big pieces of hay then squeegee off the dust and fur. Also how do u keep pee from leaking through what do u put underneath ?

• Bam
          16878 posts Send Private Message

I use a squeegee on vet beds and rugs before washing them. I also tumble dry them for like 5 minutes before putting them in the washer so most of the debris get caught in the dryer filter. This is perhaps not a good idea for your type of dryer, but it works with mine.

• Meg
            Participant

Thank you both so much!  I’ve never tried a squeegee before, but I will now!  It seems like it wouldn’t do a ton with Sheepette since it’s so fluffy, but certainly worth a try!

Dahlia, to your question, I’m now trying the layers suggested on disabledrabbits(dot)com, which is a rug, then a pee pad, then a towel, then something like Sheepette on top.  And I have a waterproof shower curtain between rug and the floor for good measure.

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

I use shepette with BJ and I like to either comb it with the hairbuster comb or a rubber broom first, then shake it out outside before washing it.

I wash it on the “bedding” cycle (if your washer has one) with just the two pieces of shepette I have (I have two big ones), and dry it without anything else in there.

The lint trap does tend to be really full of fluff after but I haven’t noticed any issues inside the washer or dryer itself aside from maybe a stray piece of hay or two.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Meg
                Participant

Good to know — thanks so much, Dana! 🙂

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Laundry tips?