Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Laceration on bunny that keeps getting bigger

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • Jamieleeuf
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hello, 

I have a small bunny who must have scraped herself on her cage over the weekend (possibly Saturday, maybe Friday but it was a busy weekend so it may have gone unnoticed with no bleeding or weird behavior to alert me). When I first saw it, the cut did not appear very serious to me, so my daughter and I cleaned it and put her back into cage. Again, it was a very busy weekend and Monday, so since it didn’t seem a big deal it was cleaned but not really examined too much. But it seems like the rip in her skin is enlarging! I need something to hold wound close and I assume it’s too late for stitching! I have heard of people using KrazyGlue. That sounds very well, crazy, to me and I don’t want to do that (Unless it’s the best option!). I have gauze, adhesive tape, antibiotic cream (without pain cream), A&D ointment, butterfly bandages, liquid bandaid, and krazyglue. How do I close this thing up if stitches are out of the question? (and the vet bill is not cool either). 

What is the best course of action? I have tried gauze and a clothe self adhesive tape but that does not work.

Thanks,

Jamie

• Asriel and Bombur
        Participant
        1104 posts Send Private Message

You’ll really want to take her to the vet to ensure it’s not infected, and they will probably stitch it up if it’s getting worse. Are you sure it’s not an abscess? Either, I’m sorry, but a vet visit really is in order.

• Jamieleeuf
          Participant

After rinsing with Betadine and in order to attempt to stop it from getting bigger I used the glue and I think it was a better alternative to a butterfly bandage (that’s going to sit on the healthy skin)– i just put some glue on only FUR to FUR areas to hold it closed and allow that skin to do whatever it needs to do to heal. Also I left an area on the top and an area on the bottom for 2 reasons- 1 to clean or drain if needed, and 2 It didn’t match up for fur to fur glueing- I’ve heard of tying the fur on long haired bunnies together on either side of a wound and her hair is not long enough- so i figured that was as close to that or stitching as i could get. Then I put triple antibiotic ointment (plain w/o the topical pain med) and A&D ointment
            I sure hope this works– I figured a bandage is going to potentially damage the healthy skin through occlusion.
            Ever since it must have originally happened she has appeared normal, eating, drinking, pee, poop, same behavior. She doesn’t make noises or bite while I handle the wound so I’m crossing my fingers that it looks much worse than it is. I’ll keep washing it to keep it clean- should I do that once or twice daily?

Any other advice?
            Thanks,
            Jamie

• Jamieleeuf
            Participant

Not an abscess– I don’t know exactly what she did but I’m assuming she snagged her skin on the cage. I can tell ATM it’s not infected and– it’s a ripped skin pink where it was enlarging, but not swollen, pussy, or enlarging. The first ripped skin is dried/ drying out and not at all sensitive to touch (like a dead scab she’s not bothered when the top. She let me pull it closed. I closed off the top portion of her cage so she can’t go up and down– keep her less active. I’ll keep it clean and watch for infection. 

• Asriel and Bombur
              Participant

I really wouldn’t use the Krazy Glue to be honest. It’s not so great for humans when humans get it on their skin, and bunnies are far more fragile than humans, especially if it’s in an area she can easily lick at it. A bandage or a standard wrapping would’ve been just fine with some neosporin. A bandage wouldn’t have damaged the skin underneath.

Here’s what the KG website has to say about it in humans:
                IF INHALED: Remove person to fresh air and keep at rest in a position comfortable for breathing
                Call a POISON CENTER or doctor if you feel unwell
                IF IN EYES: Rinse cautiously with water for several minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present and
                easy to do. Continue rinsing
                If eye irritation persists: Get medical advice/attention
                Page 2 of 11
                IF ON SKIN: Wash with plenty of soap and water

• Bam
                16872 posts Send Private Message

Keep a close eye like you seem to be doing. Use your nose too -an infected wound can give off a foul odour. If a lump forms I underneath the closed skin it’s likely an abscess that is forming, and that would need vet attention. Rabbit pus is thick and wont drain of it’s own. An I fected wound/abscesd should be opened up and meticulously cleaned and the bun should be put on systemic antibiotics. Here is some good info on abscesses in rabbits (warning graphic content):
                  http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm

It’s very good you’ve left openings, closing a wound fully on the surface can potentially cause a lot more problems since anaerobic bacteria can fester inside a closed wound. I’d clean the wound twice a day and put on the triple antibiotic cream. The wound should heal from the inside and out, so it shouldnt be allowed to heal over fully too soon.

As stated at the top of our main page , we can’t recommend anything other than a vet visit, because we are not vets here and not even a vet would want to diagnose a pet without seeing the pet. Just making sure you understand this.

We’d be happy for updates.

• Asriel and Bombur
                  Participant

It sounds like it’s a scab though? I’m sorry I just can’t picture what you’re describing? If it’s an open active cut or if it’s a scab. If its merely a scab, just some neosporin will be fine and she can roam as she normally would. If it’s an open cut, a standard bandage will be just fine, and will not irritate her normal skin. Buns that are spayed have bandages placed over their normal skin, so it’s honestly no different. yes, it might irritate when you pull it it off, but it won’t cause any harm and is far safer than glue or a liquid bandaid. Bunnies are so sensitive and you honestly never know what’s going to cause life threatening issues when things are in contact with them

• Doodler
                    Participant
                    337 posts Send Private Message

I am also having trouble picturing exactly what’s going on but I would be concerned if it’s an actual opening that kept getting bigger. I totally understand that there is a limited window when stitches can normally be done but it’s still worth having a vet look at it. I also honestly wouldn’t have used Crazy Glue no matter where it was placed. Veterinary glue is different and would be a safer option if it’s necessary to even be used. I would still have a vet make the call on the proper treatment.

I hope she heals well!!

• Jamieleeuf
                      Participant

I don’t know how to get a picture in here- picture literally “skinning” an animal– she has no underneath skin damage just the laceration through the skin and movement / gravity was making the hole bigger…. bandaging kept falling off and pulling skin even worse — so far it is much more closed with some openings for cleaning/ draining– I’m just going to keep cleaning and now that it is semi- closed I should be able to use a butterfly bandage in a few days if necessary. I know it seemed a crazy option but I took an hour to contemplate how to best start closing it up! A drop of glue on her fur- attached to other fur (her hair isn’t long enough to tie together but I was going for that type of closure).

• Bunny House
                        Participant
                        1241 posts Send Private Message

She should really be seen by a vet because what you’re using could be toxic if in the blood stream and could cause organ damage. Vet medicine is safer as it has been tested on animals.

• Sirius&Luna
                          Participant
                          2319 posts Send Private Message

It really sounds like she needs a vet if she has a laceration through the skin that is getting bigger. Gluing it up by yourself is frankly irresponsible and likely to result in an infection. She also might need painkillers (please do not take that as an invitation to DIY painkillers for her).

• Jamieleeuf
                            Participant

Yes bunny house I did not put it in her wound– have you ever gotten super glue on unbroken skin? or in your hair? I have. Yes it sticks like nothing else. But it is not the same as putting it inside a wound to get into her bloodstream.

• Jamieleeuf
                              Participant

I am sorry that I tried to get help from people that owned bunnies to help heal her wound. I will not post here anymore. Good Bye.

• Doodler
                                Participant
                                337 posts Send Private Message

I am sorry you feel that way Jamieleeuf. There are many helpful members in this community and it’s a great place to exchange information and experiences.

You came her for help and were given advice on what we personally would do, it just happened to come after you had already used the glue. As Bam said we aren’t vets and even vets will usually want to see the animal before determining treatment. There are just certain things that I personally won’t ever recommend trying to treat on your own. I do hope she heals well and it works for her!

• jerseygirl
                                  22342 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It appears the OP doesn’t wish to post further so Im locking this thread for now.

@Jamieleeuf, if you would like to have the topic unlocked, please message myself or one of the other forum leaders and we can do that for you.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • The topic ‘Laceration on bunny that keeps getting bigger’ is closed to new replies.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Laceration on bunny that keeps getting bigger