Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Labored Breathing

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • RafaelaM89
      Participant
      11 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I have a 14 week old Male Rabbit named Stimpy,(Not neutered) who just recently within the last day started breathing very slow and labored. I took him to our Local Pets Emergency Hospital. They said his heart rate and pulse were normal and they didnt see anything out of the ordinary. He is home now, but still breathing labored and hasn’t really had anything to eat or drink. I am very concerned, does anybody have any experience with this? Do you think it could be allergies?

Thanks!

• Mikey
        Participant
        3186 posts Send Private Message

Is it warm where you are at? My buns like it 72F or lower, and i know most rabbits have a hard time over 80F

• jerseygirl
          22345 posts Send Private Message

Definitely see if temperature is the issue as Mikey suggests. If not, I would seek opinion of another vet. {{{Stimpy}}}

• RafaelaM89
            Participant

@Mikey I live in Colorado, so it is moderately warm.They are Indoor/Outdoor bunnies, and he was out earlier in the day but I brought him back inside.
              @Jerseygirl I think I am going to schedule an appointment with our regular Vet tomorrow if not at least see if I can get a call back and speak with her over the phone. He seems to be pretty normal with the exception of not really eating/drinking well and laboring breaths. It makes me so worried for him, as my 7 year old is very attached.

• RafaelaM89
              Participant

*Update* Just saw him eating and drinking a bit of food and water. He is now laying down on his stomach next to his sister Wren. I think Stimpy should pull through but need to get him to see his regular vet for sure

• RafaelaM89
                Participant

• jerseygirl

Oh that’s good. Has his breathing improved at all?

• RafaelaM89
                    Participant

His breathing hasn’t really improved, but now he is what I would say “Sneezing”. At least thats what it looks like.

• jerseygirl

Maybe he got something lodged up his nose from when he was outside? Like a grass seed. Or he got stung? Does his nose look swollen at all?
                        Is there any discharge? If there is, we can sometimes help by clearing that away. Using a baby nasal aspirator or empty medicine syringe.

• RafaelaM89
                        Participant

That is a great idea that I didn’t even think about Jerseygirl, I will look today and see if there might be a seed or something lodged in there. He very well might have gotten stung, we have squash and pumpkin growing in the back and they attract bees, so that for sure could have happened. He seems to be acting much more normal now, eating treats and trying to mount his sister. All things I like to see from him. I wonder if we have a baby nasal aspirator around here somewhere… I appreciate the help guys!

• Mikey
                          Participant
                          3186 posts Send Private Message

If you dont have a baby nasal arpirator, you can take your bun into the bathroom and kick on a warm shower to cause steam. One of my bunnies has allergies so when hes sneezing more often than normal, we use the bathroom steam to help him get it all out

• RafaelaM89
                            Participant

Ok, I totally did this and it helped really clear his sinuses. He is back to normal now, no labored breathing at all, which makes me so happy. Thanks so much for the great idea! 

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Labored Breathing