Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE kidney faliure

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • cocobear
      Participant
      39 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

I took my Clarissa to the vet last night becuase she just wasn’t her normal perky self. She is about 10 years old. Her x-rays showed a GI slowdown and some gas. Her hips showed signs of early hip disease. Her kidneys looked healthy. No tumors anywhere. She has lost a lot of muscle this past year, a sign of kidney disease. She’s back to normal this morning, eating well and feeling playful. However the blood test results came back with terrible kidney values. The doctor said everything was elevated well beyond what it considered normal. Our only hope is that her kidneys still looked and felt healthy despite what the tests said.  What are we in for? The doctors are always so vauge. We are doing fluids everyday. Lots of leafy lettuce and herbs. she’s a great hay eater. How can I keep her feeling great ? I don’t want this to be a death sentence for her, but am I being overly optimistic?  The vet also reccomended B vitamins. Has anyone tried a certain kind that worked better than another? Any tips anyone could share would be great.

Thanks,

Robin

142353347654.jpg

• Lion_Lop_Lover
        Participant
        971 posts Send Private Message

Ohh, I’m sorry and I send my best healing vibes ((((((((((vibes))))))))

• JK
          Participant
          2223 posts Send Private Message

I really don’t know what you’re in for but it sounds like you are doing everything you can. She’s eating well and that’s good. 10 years is a long life for a bun! I say as long as she’s comfortable just don’t stress over it. Easier said than done I know. You may want to contact Dana Krempels at http://www.allexperts.com. She is a PhD at the University of Miami Biology Department and has extensive knowledge about rabbits. She helped me a lot with Edson and his huge water consumption issue. She’s on the cutting edge for the latest developments with rabbits. Clarissa is adorable. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh no…*hugs* and **VIBES**

Maybe get a second opinion-you should really get a prognosis and specific instructions-feeling vague isn’t going to help you right now. *HUGS*

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

Try not to worry. As said, Clarissa has had a long life and from what it sounds like a fantastic and fulfilling one. Continue to watch her for signs of discomfort (no eating, no pooping) but enjoy her for the lovely friend that she is. Unfortunately, all our friends will one day cross the rainbow bridge – we just have to make the short time we have with them as enjoyable and happy as they make us.

BTW, I am not suggesting to just give up. I’m just saying that old buns get sick. I’ll keep on sending vibes to Clarissa for you!

• Marguerite
                Participant
                3 posts Send Private Message

You know I hesitate to respond to this simply because your experience may differ from my own and you need not get upset and start to assume that my experience will be your own.

That being said I will share my very recent experience with Scoobie who passed away 4/21/08, Scoobie was 9 years old. Up until the time of his death he had never been treated for any illness, never a gut problem, never an infection etc. merely a couple of teeth trimmings. Scoobie never had poopy butt, I mean I have never had a rabbit that didn’t get that once in a while.

Scoobie began drinking and peeing excessively about a year and a half ago, we noticed that he had lost a little weight but nothing dramatic, I actually assumed that he was lighter because his pen mate Sadie was such a pig. But our vet suspected he had the first signs of some renal failure. Apart from the drinking/peeing there were no symptoms and no other issues. He was energetic as always.

He went in for his bi-yearly exam around the 1st of April and we noted more weight loss, I began feeding him with Oxbow’s Critical Care and allowing him to have all the veggies and kibble he could eat. At one point he refused the kibble and ate veggies only. His poo’s became very small…usually a sign of GI stasis. However, after force feeding him the CC mixed with baby food and giving him fresh pineapple his appetite and poop improved.

I took him back to the vet and he had lost another half pound. Scoobie, a Holland Lop Buck, now weighted in at 2.5lbs and was skin over bones.

During his last 3 weeks he became noticeably weaker, staggering/weaving as he sat. Because Scoobie had never been sick, and I do mean never! I was hoping that he could pull thru this. In fact I was hoping we were dealing with an infection, something we could fight and treat. But one morning I noticed he had head tilt and that’s when I realized this was probably going to take him from me. I’m sure you don’t have to guess how upset I was. Over the weekend I struggled to accept that there was nothing I could do and went to the vet with him on Monday.  I had heard everyone say “he’s an old bunny, it’s to be expected”, but my fear was that they might be too quick to write him off due to his age…what if this wasn’t old age and organ failure? After all, he was still eating. I needed the vet to give it to me straight.

Dr. Brown did a thorough exam and felt as though the head tilt was the clincher. She explained that since the kidneys can no longer filter toxins from the urine and poor Scoobie was of course absorbing them, being poisoned. The disease ravaged his muscles and weight gain was impossible. And although there was no need to do test at this point, she concluded that the strain on his immune system may have allowed E. Cunculi (a parasite that is common in rabbits but not always active or producing symptoms) to florish, resulting in the head tilt. I could see she was upset as well. Dr. Brown has cared for Scoobie from day one, we have followed her to every vet she worked for as she is a highly knowledgable, respected rabbit vet.

I did not want to let him go, I second guessed myself many times. I thought he would set a lifespan record but after a long chat with Dr. Brown I realized it was simply his time.

Scoobie lived longer than any bunny I have ever had and for that I am thrilled. His buddy Sadie is still quite healthy and he is 8 years old.

That being said do not miss one point…Scoobie began showing early signs of renal failure a year and half ago. He went along time without it effecting his quality of life, it was not a quick overnight thing but a gradual failure that eventual reared it’s ugly head.

1423523660271.jpg

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant

margerite-what a touching story! I’m soo sorry for your loss!! *Binky free Scoobie* *hugs*

• LittlePuffyTail
                    18092 posts Send Private Message

Sending lots of good vibes to your beautiful bunny.

Margerite- Sorry about your loss. Your bunny was very adorable.

• Marguerite
                      Participant

Thank you both so much. I suppose it kinda takes bunny people to understand bunny people sometimes. I have got it so bad for bunnies that I don’t have any other kind of pets.

I have to add something…I rec’d a copy of the 2008 Rabbits USA annual in the mail…I didn’t know why as you have to buy those off of the rack. And all of a sudden it hit me, I had entered some photos in their contest. Much to my surprise Scoobie was honored in the photo section, it’s the picture I attached to my post. What a wonderful honor for my little man.

marguerite

• RabbitPam
                        11002 posts Send Private Message

Clarissa and Scoobie are so sweet in their pictures. I know how hard this is for you both, having lost my Spockie last winter.

I think Mragerite’s point about having another year & 1/2 is a very good one. I also think you can try a second opinion just to get the best regimen possible to keep Clarissa comfortable and having as normal a life as possible until she can no longer do so. Sounds like your giving her lots of water and moistened food and hay is doing exactly that. Spockie became disabled in his hind legs, then lost weight, then ultimately had just a couple of days of GI tract issues that caused him to go to the Bridge. But I had about 6-9 months with him that I wouldn’t trade a day of, and we just made adjustments (he and I) in our lives so he could get as much attention and daily routines as he could. He actually made subtle changes to his routine more easily than I did, and was very patient with me when I tried to make him more comfortable and bumbled a little.

Years ago I had a cat named Lambchop, who I adopted from the Humane Society, and it turned out he was a breed that was very, very prone to kidney disease. (genetically) He was a beautiful white American short hair, had one blue eye and one green, and got to be 14 lbs. So when he lost weight to about 11lbs, no one really noticed until he didn’t want breakfast one morning. The vet discovered he had 75% kidney failure. While she knew of dialysis for cats, she urged me to just take him home to live out his days in his familiar surroundings with those who loved him. I did that. It was true about the toxins being fatal, but he just got very ill quite suddenly and we took him to the vets one last time. In other words, she said he abruptly became “out of it” and wasn’t in pain or aware after that. It’s a terrible thing to go through, but it happened very fast when it did happen, and we were all prepared for it. He was only 5 years old, which made it so much harder. I’m sorry but I had no special tips on making him more comfortable with this disease. He just acted normally until that day.

After Lambchop I realized that the price for an unknown number of years with a darling animal is going through this trauma eventually with them, several times as you have several pets. I feel it is just part of life with them and you may find you are able to tend to their needs with great devotion when they need it, as they have been devoted to you. It’s going to happen sometime. You do your absolute best, and love her. The life you’re giving her is one she loves too.

1423274837571.jpg
                          1423274845354.jpg

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant

Awwww *HUGS* That’s sweet he’s in there!!

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant
                            4293 posts Send Private Message

To go with the stories, here are some places to read up on kidney failure and yes, Dana Krempels I think can help give you some insight as well..

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html#kidneyfail

Have you also requested an E. Cuniculi titer as well?  I am reading up in my library and “Rabbit Health 101” suggests requesting the test be done and if the titer is high, ask about treatment with oxibendozole. Lactulose (prescribed by your vet), dandelion and milk thistle tinctures as well as other dietary considerations such as syringe feeding pumpkin and what our local HRS calls Angel’s Mush.

I will caution you that it can often be a roller-coaster ride of ups and downs with kidney disease.  I have seen a few rabbits at the shelter with it.  But you just love and cuddle them more.  But you also need to keep in mind that if their quality of life is not humane and you are hanging on for selfish reasons, you need to let go.  It doesn’t always turn out this way but prepare yourself emotionally and do all the reading that you can on the topic.

• cocobear
                              Participant
                              39 posts Send Private Message

I’m a little bit more worried after reading some of the posts here, since Clarissa began her muscle mass about a year ago. She has gone from 7lbs to 4lbs. I just assumed it was old age since she has been in perfect health for the last 5 years of her life. When she was about 4, I had just adopted her, she had surgery to remove a bladder stone.No other problems, not even gas, since then. So I think this whole thing will probably develop pretty quickly. The vet talked about E. Cuniculi, but thought it would be useless to test and treat at this stage. I did not know that bulid up of toxins is going to make her sicker. I will try to feed her only organics and lots of fluids to flush her out. The dandelion and milk thistle is a great idea, I will research dosage for that.
                                She gave me 6 and 1/2 years so far and I just love her so much.When I adopted her she was so shy and afraid of being touched. It took a year for her to finally come out of her shell. She’s a totally different rabbit now than she was the day a took her home. She loves life. She’s on her 4th mate- I used to adopt old guys for her since she was so timid, but then they’d pass away. I call her the “black widow bunny”. She has a young man now.
                                So anyway, I just hope she can give us a few more months. I’m glad it’s spring and I can give her fresh food from the garden.
                                Maguite- Scoobie is so adorable. Thank you for sharing his story. It sounds like he had a wonderful life with you.
                                Thanks everyone who posted kind words and suggestions. I am taking her in for a 2nd try at bloodwork in a month to see if we can get the values down. I’ll post the update then.

• Marguerite
                                Participant

It just isn’t easy having a sick rabbit or loosing one. It hurts deeply because we love so deeply. I think we are fortunate to have a community here that understands each other and can offer us words of encouragement and advice about problems.

Keep us posted, you know we are all wishing Clarissa the best and understand your pain.

marguerite

• RabbitPam
                                  11002 posts Send Private Message

cocobear,
                                    I debated whether to talk about Lambchop, since I usually try not to say anything unless it’s a success story when someone needs help or advice. I just was so startled when it happened to me that I thought it might be of some help to have you be a bit more prepared, with the hope of Clarissa getting better of course.

In a way you really could say it is old age. We never used to be able to know exactly what made our pets or ourselves get frail as we got older, and sometimes that’s more gentle than an accurate diagnosis if there’s little we can do. Any little thing you can do to help her I know you will. What a wonderful rescue and life you are having with her. It’s a rewarding relationship and you are a wonderful mom. (((((((((Hugs, Clarissa))))))))))))

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE kidney faliure