Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Keeping bunnies warm indoors

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Moonlightbunny66
      Participant
      694 posts Send Private Message

It’s finally getting colder here in Canada, it’s fall! 🙂 I want to know if anyone has tips on how to keep bunnies warm when it’s colder. My bunnies do not live or go outside, but it gets cold upstairs when it’s cold outside. I’m hoping my bunnies won’t take too long to bond, and will snuggle to keep each other warm. But, right now I just felt Pinky’s ears and they’re a bit cold.

I use rice socks on myself sometimes, is that safe to give to bunnies? I could sew  a cover for it with some fabric and Velcro? Does this seem like a safe idea? Or I could maybe figure out out to make a snug-a-bun like 101rabbits and put two rice socks in. Or maybe the rice sock alone would work. Do you think they would try to eat the rice?

I feel like if I just give blankets that Pinky would dig and chew in it, but maybe it’s an option.

I see people say to use straw, but I know they will just pee in it. Pinky lays in the litter box already, (filled with hay) I don’t think it’s very warm though. We have old straw in the garage that’s been there for a couple years though.

Let me know what you guys think and what you do to keep your bunnies warm.

• Bu20055
        Participant
        246 posts Send Private Message

Yay! Didn’t realize you were Canadian too.

My house is starting to get colder too (the hoodies are coming out again!). I was looking into making a snug a bun thing too to keep Esther warm. Right now she’s got lots of fleece, which she does dig and chew, so I’m just watching that she doesn’t eat too much. It’s been a week and all seems well. I think if they had access to the rice they’d try to take some nibbles, but I think if you had a couple of layers containing the rice (multiple socks) you’d be okay as long as you kept an eye on how much they chew the socks.

My girl is new so I don’t have much experience with wintertime and bunnies so others may have some suggestions for that.

Say- if you do end up making some snug-a-buns do you think you could make me one too? 😉 😛

• Bam
          16877 posts Send Private Message

How  cold does it get where your buns are? 14 -19 degrees C are ideal for rabbits. They still won’t get cold if if the temp drops below zero, if they have time to adjust gradually. In below zero temps you must change their water twice daily, because it will freeze – of course.

As long as rabbits are sheltered from wind, rain and snow, they are remarkably resilient to cold and don’t require external heating he way chickens do. They produce a lot of heat by digesting hay, the same way horses do. They will also get very thick fur if it’s cold.

It’s very good to be prepared for times when buns actually do require warming up, f ex with a heat pad of some sort. This can happen if a bun gets poorly. I have hand warmers and also a hot water bottle in my bunny first aid kit, but a snug-a-bun sounds lovely!

• NoodletheRabbit
            Participant
            45 posts Send Private Message

Hey, I’m Canadian too!:-) Yes, it’s getting cold for us here too. I agree with @Bam, who said that bunnies don’t really need to be kept super warm unless it is very cold. They have lots of fur, and as long as food keeps moving through them, they’ll be warm. But something that I found online is something called a Snuggle Safe heat pad that you microwave, and the heat lasts up to 10 hours! I will insert a link, hope it works. you could use this if your bunnies get cold!

Item Description: The ‘Original’ SnuggleSafe Microwave Heatpad

• Our SnuggleSafe heatpad can be used time and time again. Do not over-heat and only re-heat our heatpad once it has completely cooled to room temperature. Only heat one pad in a microwave at a time.
                As with any heat source, we do not recommend the use of the heatpad with anesthetized or unconscious animals. Recovering animals which use the heatpad should be monitored to ensure that they can move from the heat if necessary.

– Contents is Toxic free – Thermapol®

(Edited by Wick – removed store link; inserted select item information)

• Moonlightbunny66
              Participant

Thanks for all the info guys! I think just some snug a buns would be nice for them then. Bu20055 you can have one too! 😜 Now I just need to figure out the best way to make them hmm… And my bunnies are so big lol! Gonna be huge snug a buns.

I’m not sure the actual temperatures it gets down to here, but it’s super cold. Of course warmer inside, but still a little chilly upstairs where the buns are.

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies actually prefer cooler temps. As long as it isn’t literally freezing, they will be fine. You could possibly provide them with a bed, as long as they don’t chew it. They can use that to cuddle up in if they want to.

• Bam
                  16877 posts Send Private Message

If your buns just chew and dig in fleece blankets, not actually eat them, cheap fleece blankets can be a nice enrichment for them. Activity keeps a bun warm too, and buns often like to dig. I always buy the cheapest fleece blankets I can get, because buns will eventually destroy them no matter what the blankets cost 😄

• Moonlightbunny66
                    Participant

Thanks guys!

Bam, I get mine from the dollar store! Pinky likes to make holes in them… Muffin rarely digs anymore, doesn’t chew it like Pinky lol. I still try to cover the areas where Pinky destroys it, or I’d be left with no blankets!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Keeping bunnies warm indoors