Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A just got my bunny sprayed and she isn’t eating!

• This topic has 6sd replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Bam.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Binky Blue
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

i just my blue blue sprayed and she come home around 230 and she hasn’t eat nothing really but she is drinking water… the vet said that she did eat a little when she was there.  her little ear and cold and she is shaking they did give me pain meds to start tomorrow because where they already gave it to her.  she is pooping and peed once that i know of. 

is there anything i can do to make her feel better… if she don”t eat tonight i am going to take her back to the vet first thing in the morning!

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

Its excellent that she has pooped and peed and that shes drinking water.

It is normal for girl rabbits to feel really out of it after a spay. If she is cold and shaking, you can give her a warm water bottle or hand warmers wrapped in a towel to snuggle up to. Hypothermia is not uncommon after surgery, and it’s dangerous. She must have space enough to move away from the heat source if she doesn’t want it.

If you have or can get fragrant herbs like cilantro, parsley, dill etc, that could entice her to eat. Its doesn’t really matter what you give her now if shes willing to eat it, treats and fruit etc are fine. Sometimes a piece of fruit can spark an appetite because the blood sugar level rises enough for the bun to start taking an interest in other food. Pellets is often the last thing a bun goes back to eating after surgery, fresh greens and hay tends to be more popular.

If she absolutely refuses all food, you’ll need to syringe feed her. You can use pellet mush (pellets soaked in water) if you dont have Critical Care.

• Kiki
          Participant
          205 posts Send Private Message

It’s extremely common. Indie was finally convinced to eat with a bite of banana

• Binky Blue
            Participant

last night was a long night… i gave her pain meds this morning and kinda started acting little bit like her self again… she wants out so bad ot of her big cage and i did for just a sec and she went all binky on me so i put her back into her cage… i feel like she is eating more today then she was yesterday…. thank you for the info if she starts not eating again i will do the pellet mush.

• Bam

I’m glad to hear she’s eating more and seems to feel a lot better. It is wise of you to keep her in a restricted space for now though, it takes two weeks for the internal incisions to heal and if she’s prone to binkying, she needs to be caged for at least a week. Chew toys like willow toys/ wreaths etc and pesticide free apple twigs could help a little bit with the boredom and restlessness.

It’s good if you can spend as much time as possible in the same room as she. You don’t have to interact all the time, she’ll still perceive your presence as company. Pets are good though, provided she likes being pet. It releases oxytocin both in the animal and the human. Oxytocin is a powerful feel-good hormone.

• Binky Blue
                Participant

she is eating everything pretty much now… only if i hand feed it to her. i was changing her litter box and i notice that she really isn’t pooping much and when she is they are super small… will this change. i been watching her poops and pees as much as i can. 

she got sprayed on 03-15-2019

so i am not trying to worry about it to much but you know you get online and it saying that she may be going into gi and where she didn’t eat much on the first day of her surgery so  that kinda worries me again! 

sorry new bunnie owner here and i just want to make sure everything is okay with my little Blue Blue!

-Jessica 

• Bam

Since her spay, shes been eating less than she does otherwise, and also, it took a while for her to start eating. This is normal after surgery, a spay is after all a rather big operation – but it means there’s less food in her intestines. That leads to smaller and fewer poopies, they can be oddly shaped and dark in colour perhaps more moist than they normally are etc.

It’s really good that you are keeping track of her poops. It can take up to 2 weeks for the poop to get back to normal size, shape and numbers. As long as there’s gradual improvement, this is normal.

If she stops pooping and/or eating you should contact your vet, they can give fluids and gut motility drugs to get things moving.

So far you have been doing great, so just keep doing more of the same thing: Encourage eating, its lovely that she will eat from your hand, keep a close eye on poop and pee and make sure shes warm and comfy.

As bunny parents, we tend to worry when our babies are poorly. Its normal ?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A just got my bunny sprayed and she isn’t eating!