Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE June Chat

Viewing 127 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gina.Jenny
      Participant
      2244 posts Send Private Message

Pippi, Pippi, Pippi (Half his nose, his chest and belly and front paws were a lovely snowy white as this pic with Rusty shows nicely <3 )

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

Pippi. Sterling. Bindi, in loving memory.

Apollo, Buttercup, Bianca, Olaf, Chewie, Podge, Nimbus, Wick’s nose and paw, Henry’s tummy. This is not a complete list.

(This is a Binky Bunny “tradition” – On the first day of a new month, we name 3 or more white or partially white rabits in the chat thread. If you don’t know any white or partially white rabbits, “white rabbit” said three times is perfectly adequate. I think this custom comes from FL LittlePuffyTail’s mum, and it’s supposed to bring luck).

• GarfyTheLop
          Participant
          171 posts Send Private Message

Olaf, Buttercup & Nimbus <3

How is everyone doing?

The weather over in England has been awful the past week, reallyyyyy bad thunderstorms and heavy rainfall!
            Luckily Garf doesn’t seem to bothered by the thunder

• Sirius&Luna
            Participant
            2319 posts Send Private Message

Nimbus, Buttercup, bits of Garfy

My bunnies are also not bothered by the thunder either Garfy, but I am sick of the humidity!

• joea64
              Participant
              1423 posts Send Private Message

Fernando, Buttercup, Nimbus, Olaf, Chewie, Bianca!

It’s been wet most of the past two weeks in Northern Virginia. Panda and Fernando, interestingly enough, seem not to be bothered too much by thunder and lightning (there was a storm last evening), though I attribute this to their being inside and safe and secure. It’s so humid in these parts that there was dense fog this morning covering the streets and I had to cut on the A/C to keep the car windows from fogging up, even though the absolute temperature wasn’t even much above 70 degrees F.

• Daisy
                Participant
                199 posts Send Private Message

Daisy, Daisy Daisy. :’) She was my first bunny and has long passed, she was white with brown and black spots. I’m sure she’s going “WHY do you feel the need to summon me, YOU WEIRD HUMAN” from bunny heaven, she was not very social haha.

Same here! We went from heavy rain fall to very hot and sunny back to heavy rainfall within one day the whole past week, make up your mind weather gods. xD

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                  Participant
                  2512 posts Send Private Message

Oops, it’s June again! Wow, time flies! My birthday will be here soon, and I’m super curious about the presents ^_^ I asked for study books for tailoring techniques to prepare for my atelier.

• Sirius&Luna
                    Participant

I’m a June birthday too Ellie

So exciting that you’re starting to gather things for the atelier

• Harley&Thumper
                      Participant
                      444 posts Send Private Message

Storm, Storm, Storm (A storm’s a brewin)

The rain used to bother Harley and he’d take off in a panic in the middle of the night. Thankfully he outgrew that.

Participant

@S&L: yes, all that prep is making me very excited as well! One of the things I’ll need to practice is how to draft my own patterns just by measuring someone. There aren’t many good patterns for medieval/fantasy LARP clothing, so it’s a lot of DIY. Also, Dutch people really don’t fit the European standard industry sizes. In my circle of friends there’s exactly 1 girl who perfectly fits into a European size 38 (US 8), and no men who perfectly fit into any of the men’s sizes. The men are either too lean or way too broad everywhere. Many girls in NL have a large breast size and broad shoulders compared to other EU residents. I’d have to get a 42 (US 12) top and a size 38 (US 8) for my lower body, good luck on finding a dress which doesn’t look like a potato bag and totally hides your feminine waist and hip contours. Most Dutch people are also very tall with thick upper legs because of all the cycling. Couture suits and dresses from France or Italy always look wonderful in the window, but there are hardly any Dutchies who’ll fit them.

So you can definitely forget about standard industry sizes if you want to personalise clothing because it’s easier to draft from scratch than to make 6 pattern alterations. I dislike fashion anyway, I’d rather make people look and feel good instead of telling them that they don’t fit into an idealised body shape. I hope that with some study books I’ll be able to draft for people with all sizes and shapes. 30% of our population is slightly overweight, and 10% is obese. These people often can’t find good clothes, let alone costumes.
                          So I’m practicing on measuring people and drawing a sloper (super tight-fitting garment which perfectly follows body contours). This sloper can be used as a design starter, and you can work from there to create interesting shapes (special necklines, decorative sleeves). I’ve invited people of all sizes and shapes for free fitting sessions so I can work on my drafting skills.

@H&T: awww, poor Harley. Happy to hear that he outgrew it. It can be so difficult to calm them down if they’re scared.

• MoxieMeadows
                          Participant
                          5375 posts Send Private Message

Loki! (Most of him anyways)

Garfy- Rain and thunderstorms are my favorite though! We haven’t had any here yet, but it has been super warm, so hopefully we’ll at least get some pretty heat lightning tonight. *fingers crossed*

• Azerane
                            4688 posts Send Private Message

Pippi, Sterling, Bindi, Cali (honorary rabbit). ?

When did June creep up on us? Oh well, the faster it goes the faster summer returns ?

• Vienna Blue in France
                              Participant
                              5317 posts Send Private Message

Noooooo mean Aussie person….slooowly. WE are in summer here…. kind of….

• LBJ10
                                16869 posts Send Private Message

I missed yesterday… Leopold’s tummy, Wooly’s blaze!

• OnyxMoon
                                  Participant
                                  260 posts Send Private Message

Rosalies everything, Pumpkins feet, and Bensons tummy.

Happy birthday month to all june b-days. ? I love June, the grass and plants/trees here get so green in June. Although I love the cold months more. ?

I’ve been really hoping for a thunderstorm soon, the weathermen have been forecasting them but there’s been none so far.

• MoxieMeadows
                                    Participant

I can’t believe the year is pretty much half over?? It can stay summer here for as long as it wants as far as I am concerned. Our winters are always so harsh, I don’t like it! I love the beginning of fall though, when it is all colorful and beautiful. I however don’t really like the awkward beginning of November stage where everything is ugly and brown and dead, and we don’t have any snow yet to make it pretty (even though I don’t like the snow. I can still appreciate it’s beauty lol )

• MoxieMeadows
                                      Participant

I can’t believe the year is pretty much half over?? It can stay summer here for as long as it wants as far as I am concerned. Our winters are always so harsh, I don’t like it! I love the beginning of fall though, when it is all colorful and beautiful. I however don’t really like the awkward beginning of November stage where everything is ugly and brown and dead, and we don’t have any snow yet to make it pretty (even though I don’t like the snow. I can still appreciate it’s beauty lol )

• LBJ10

I know! Where is 2018 going?!

• Bladesmith
                                          Participant
                                          849 posts Send Private Message

Warning: Whingy, complaining, venting semi rant ahead.

Yesterday was my birthday.  I’m now 56 years old. .  It wasn’t happy.  I spent it alone.  See, my ex wife’s birthday is June 2nd the day before mine. 

I made sure my kids remembered to get her a gift (They insisted on paying themselves, so it wasn’t expensive, but it was thought out and heart felt.) My ex likes sapphires, so they got her a simulated sapphire (which means it’s lab grown not natural, I think), with simulated diamonds (Cubic Zirconium) necklace, and a nice card.  I even texted her a happy birthday message that morning.

Her, my kids, her new husbands kids, and the son they had together, her mother,  all spent the day at Epcot, took her out to dinner, went home to cake and ice cream and presents.  All that great birthday stuff.

I heard from my mother.  Couple people on Facebook sent facebook wishes.  Facebook sends you reminders, though.

I heard and saw nothing from my kids. They had hinted they had something in the works, so I sat and waited.  All day.  No cards, no gifts, and no kids.   Not even a text or phone call.  I just sat here alone, until 9 pm last night.  My eldest texted me, “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” .  Yeah.

Turns out they had forgotten it was my birthday.  Their mom, my ex, didn’t remind them.  Nobody remembered.  I wasn’t worth the effort, evidently.  Now I know what I’m worth to everyone.  I clearly overestimated my value.

This hurt.  Sorry for being a downer.

• Gina.Jenny
                                            Participant

(((Bladesmith))) I’m so sorry

A happy belated birthday from me and lots of birthday nose bops from Gina, jennny, podge, snickers, mini and latte xxx

Participant

Awww man, that s*cks so much It’s bad to find out how much you mean to others. I wouldn’t waste my energy on them anymore. I’d put my energy into meaningful friendships. Just because people are family doesn’t mean that they’re loving, sorry to say I have a little sign at home which I got from my friends: “Friends are the family you can choose for yourself!”. Hoping that you’ll meet some great people to develop a better bond with!

Breintje went to the vet today for his routine check-up, he’s as fit as a fiddle. The vet always loves our visits, she seldom sees bunnies who are so well-cared for. She says that it’s special to see that a rabbit is so bonded to his humans. Breintje was such a hero, I had to put him in my vest  to keep him calm. There he sat, all zippered up snugly, with his head poked into my armpit. When I tried to give him some fresh air, he just poked his head in deeper. I tied a shawl around my waist to support his behind, and he sat perfectly comfy like a baby in a sling. I drove back home on my mobility scooter with him like this, no problems at all. He was so much calmer than when he was in the carrier on the luggage rack of Bas’ bicycle. 

I often carry him around baby-sling style when he’s upset or cold from an illness. Friends always shake their heads and say: “It’s not a baby, you two have it all mixed up…”  Bluh, he’s our little fur-baby and I don’t care if they think it looks silly. Breintje loves being close to me during such times. 

• Deleted User
                                                Participant
                                                22064 posts Send Private Message

Bladesmith how horrible! HAPPY BIRTHDAY from me and my boys <3 Don't change you big softie!

• Bladesmith
                                                  Participant

Thank you all so very much. You made my day so much better. Turns out, the kids were “distracted” a trip to the beach on my birthday. Their mom didn’t remind them it was my birthday either.

I’m not mad at my kids, Alyssa is 12, her step sisters are down for the summer, and my ex wifes house is chaos incarnate. But still. I made sure they didn’t forget her birthday, and drove them to the store to get their mom a present, and even kicked in a couple bucks of my own when the kid came up short.

I was so bummed I just made a bed on the living room floor and cuddled with Clover all night. Bunnies make things better.

Participant

We’re all very fond of you ^_^ You’re a bit like the forum dad: always great stories and crazy anecdotes, and we love to see your workshop results. You can try and be grumpy all you like in your posts, be we all know you’re a big old softie

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                      Participant

Bladesmith, make sure any future birthdays you are not alone. Anything. Go out for a walk, sit and have a coffee somewhere. Phone a friend.
                                                        Solo birthdays suck. Hell, have a birthday BBQ and invite some friends round.

If i may add that i missed Mothers Day once (once! Never again – lol) and I felt AWFUL (i was an adult!).
                                                        Its much earlier in the UK and so no warning!!
                                                        My mum didn’t want to remind me, to prevent me feeling bad (oh yeah a whole WEEK later i felt SO much better)
                                                        Dad, ditto.
                                                        Big bro was slightly smug about it all as i usually NEVER forget and he does….. hahaha

Just because they got carried away with other stuff, DOESN’T mean you don’t count for your kids !!!
                                                        Of course you do! You’re their Dad !!!

• OnyxMoon
                                                        Participant

Happy belated birthday Bladesmith! Solo-birthdays really do suck, but at least clover was there.

• Bladesmith
                                                          Participant

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 6/04/2018 12:02 PM

We’re all very fond of you ^_^ You’re a bit like the forum dad: always great stories and crazy anecdotes, and we love to see your workshop results. You can try and be grumpy all you like in your posts, be we all know you’re a big old softie

Well there goes my reputation as a curmudgeon….

And Onyx, I was laying on the floor that day when, for some known only to rabbits reason, Clover hopped over, stuck her nose in my right ear, and then her tongue.  I might have freaked out a bit at that.  Weird feeling.

Participant

Hahaha, that’s so cute. Glad it was just your ear though ^_^

Breintje once surprised me on a hot summer night when I slept au naturel. I woke up with a jump because he stuck his fluffy snoot into my buttcrack
                                                              Bunnies in bedroom, dignity 0.

• OnyxMoon
                                                              Participant

Ahaha, i was laying down with Rosalie one day and for some reason she decided my hair was a good snack. I’m slowly learning bunnies are weird. and Breintje has no boundaries apparently! Lol

• Harley&Thumper
                                                                Participant
                                                                444 posts Send Private Message

Sorry if I’m stirring up trouble, but I would love to know why people systematically edit all of their posts to be blank instead of asking the mods to delete the threads.

• Bladesmith
                                                                  Participant

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 6/05/2018 6:25 AM

Hahaha, that’s so cute. Glad it was just your ear though ^_^

Breintje once surprised me on a hot summer night when I slept au naturel. I woke up with a jump because he stuck his fluffy snoot into my buttcrack
                                                                    Bunnies in bedroom, dignity 0.

Well that had to be…..interesting.  

• Dface
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    1084 posts Send Private Message

Oh man Ellie, I get ya, i once woke up to having my boobs dug at- painful and terrifying wake up call if ever I’ve had one ! Thought sone form of devil spawn creature was trying to kill me… Just a rabbit with zero concept of “no touch”zones :p

Participant

Yikes Dface, zombie bunny attack in the middle of the night!

Breintje really loves to groom me and my clothing. I often walk around with one wet sleeve/pant leg, just because he has been licking it for a long time. But there are some spots where I’d like to groom myself, mister… It is really cute if your bun is so kissy and cuddly, but I won’t have buns in the bedroom anymore! At Bas’ place he is free roam in the bedroom, and that’s where this happened. In my apartment he’s free roam in the sitting area, except when I’m not home or asleep.

• BinkyBunny
                                                                        Moderator
                                                                        8776 posts Send Private Message

H&T While I can’t speak for those that have done that, some of the reasons is that we won’t normally delete posts unless their privacy issues were exposed, breaking rules, etc. It also depends on how much was responded to. For example in long threads like monthly chats, if we just delete posts that others have responded to, then it can cause a lot of confusion, as convos don’t make sense anymore. While not ideal, having a blank post as a placeholder at least explains that something was there that somebody responded to and can help prevent some confusion.

• Dface
                                                                          Participant

Ahaha kissy buns are cute, but I totally get that!
                                                                            I think my puppy is the worst-face first into EVERYONES crotch. Hopefully he grows out of that phase soon lol

I changed from a nightshift to a “day” shift, so from 9pm-6am to 2pm-11pm…rabbits didn’t get the memo -demanding food every morning by 6ish. Talk about feeling exhausted!

Participant

Hahaha, bunnies are such sticklers for their schedules. Breintje gets downright offended and will throw a thumping hissyfit if I’m not on the couch by eleven. Cuddle time!

Hope that the new schedule will work out for you

• Dface
                                                                              Participant

Unfortunately it’s just a two week rotation, so two weeks nights two weeks “days”

Yeah my pair hear me move and it’s a frenzy.. they’re like two furry pirhanas nipping at my ankles !

I’m starting back applying for phds-hopefully I get at least an interview ! -my bunnies want to move out of this house.

Participant

Hehehe, that mental image XD

That’s the problem with nighttime visits to the toilet etc.: as soon as you’re awake, it’s breakfast time!

I once woke up at 4:30 in the morning from the sound of tools rattling. Holy hell, burglary???!! Turned out that someone was doing maintenance on the electronic signage on the lamppost just in front of my house.
                                                                                  I called the muncipalities in the morning: “Who on earth does lamppost repairs at this ungodly hour? My pet heard me rise, and kept making a racket thinking that it was breakfast time. Couldn’t get to sleep again…”. The person who answered the phone had to laugh a bit, even though he commiserated with me. “That sounds all too familiar milady, we have 4 dogs and 2 cats. If someone takes a nightly bathroom break all hell breaks loose.”.

Ah, pet owner life… I always used to laugh at new parents in our office who walked in completely zombiefied after a short night. “Yeah, but you get so much in return!”.
                                                                                  I realise now that we’ve become just the same, except with our little furbaby

• Bladesmith
                                                                                  Participant

Posted By Dface on 6/05/2018 7:12 PM

Oh man Ellie, I get ya, i once woke up to having my boobs dug at- painful and terrifying wake up call if ever I’ve had one ! Thought sone form of devil spawn creature was trying to kill me… Just a rabbit with zero concept of “no touch”zones :p

Hah!   I can picture it now.  Night of the Lepus Redux: Zombie killer bunnies creep into the bedroom….”Grooooan….arggh…..Bewbs…..Bewbs….snarfle…nom nom nom.”

P.S.  If you’re a bunny slave, and you’ve never seen “Night of the Lepus”, you owe it to yourself to see the most ridiculous horror movie ever.

• OnyxMoon
                                                                                    Participant

That movie reminds me of a silly “scary” rabbit book that was popular when i was younger. Its called Bunnicula. Its about a vampire rabbit, who sucks the “blood” out of vegetables. Lol

• Hazel
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                      2587 posts Send Private Message

Bladesmith: Gonna have to check that movie out. Horror comedies are more or less my favorite genre!

Ellie: Men…  Tell Breintje that’s a good way to get pepper sprayed. 

Dface: I had something similar happen to me. Although he wasn’t digging at me, just sat there on my chest, very creepy to wake up to… Puppies and crotches go together, don’t they? Ours is 15 months old now, still going strong in that department. 

I was sooo looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2 coming out (still am, I guess), but they just announced the different game editions, and it’s just, bad. Two editions with only in-game extras. And then the collectors box, or the box of sh*t as it has been aptly named. It’s literally a box full of junk. I mean, I can be a sucker for stuff, but even I don’t want that. It doesn’t even include the actual game…  And the worst thing, NO STATUE! I’ll happily buy a collector’s edition if there’s a statue included, I got a pretty nice collection going at this point. This is a huge game, there should have been something. Sad. But I guess that means I’ll save a bit of money. 

Does anyone have experience with sling tv? We’re thinking about getting it to watch the world cup. I’m kinda worried that our internet is too slow, though.

Participant

That’s just weird Hazel, most “Special editions” contain the game, some nice extras, a poster, a figurine etc. Not including the game feels like merch scamming your audience

I love the fact that Bas and me are both gamers, it’s so easy to give gifts. Bas got me Oblivion as a birthday present, a few days early but that’s still fine ^_^ Oh, and having nice gaming nights in the house. Bas with something with a lot of action, and I’m often playing Skyrim or some other large open world RPG. Of course every cave has to be explored while Bas is looking on grinding his teeth with impatience.

It’s going to be a very crazy week next week, not sure how much I can be online. Tomorrow I’ve got people coming over for my tailoring practice (I really need to practice my measuring skills, so I’ve invited people of all shapes and sizes).
                                                                                          On Tuesday my uncle will be cremated, he passed away suddenly last Tuesday I’m so very happy that I visited my aunt and uncle recently and that I still saw him when he was alive. We don’t see eachother often, and I was going through a bad phase physically, but I dropped by for a quick visit after a physio session 3 weeks ago. He was ill and had recently left the hospital for an infection of his heart valves, but he was getting better by the day. They were on the way to the hospital for a scheduled check-up. Suddenly he turned blue and was dead instantly, it was probably something like a heart attack. Everybody in the family is really shocked, because he showed so much improvement. The doctors also ordered a post-mortem inspection of his body to see what went wrong, if they missed something when they made the decision to send him home.
                                                                                          Wednesday is my birthday, but I’m totally not in a birthday mood right now My dad will drop by in the evening for a piece of vlaai, and that will be that. Probably we’ll invite some friends later on in the week, but I’m not exactly having my party hat on now.
                                                                                          And Thursday there’s another heavy physio session. Crazy week…

• Bam
                                                                                          Moderator

Ellie, I’m sorry about your uncle. So very sad, especially when he was showing improvement. I hope you’ll still have a nice birthday. I remember the vlaai recipe! With the home-made pearl sugar!

• Hazel
                                                                                            Participant

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 6/10/2018 7:16 AM

Not including the game feels like merch scamming your audience  

Yeah, it totally is. I loved the first RDR, really disappointed with Rockstar, I didn’t expect them to pull some crap like this. And like I said, the other two editions just have in-game extras, most of which are “pay to win” advantages for multiplayer. There’s of course the standard version (just the game) and you get a bonus for preordering. I guess that’s what I’m gonna do. I really wish I was strong enough to just not play it at all after this mess, but I’m weak. It’s still going to be an amazing game. I don’t buy a lot of games, this is one that I have been looking forward to for a long time so I’ll still get it.

Are you and Bas PC gamers? I haven’t played Oblivion, but I have Skyrim. Sadly my Ps3 died a few hours into the game and the cd has been stuck in there ever since…  The hubby isn’t much of a gamer, if I’m lucky I can get him to at least watch while I play. He did enjoy the Portal games a lot though.

I’m so sorry to hear about your uncle, that’s very sad after he seemed to be getting better.  Sending lots of healing vibes to you and your family.

• OnyxMoon
                                                                                              Participant

I’m sorry to hear about your uncle as well Ellie, sending my best wishes to you and your family. I hope you can still enjoy your birthday somewhat, i know it must be hard.

• LBJ10
                                                                                                Moderator

I’m sorry Ellie. So sad.

I can’t comment on the video games. My husband plays them. That’s all I know. LOL

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                  Participant

Sorry to hear that Ellie. Must have been a horrible shock for you all.

I enjoyed all the stories about being woken up by bunnies!

I’ve just been told we need to move out of our rented flat in August, despite the landlord asking if we wanted to stay last month, he’s now changed his mind. So now the hunt is on to find another affordable flat that will accept three bunnies… Not looking forward to that at all.

• Daisy
                                                                                                    Participant

@Ellie, my condoleances – what a shock that must have been. :C

Reading all your stories makes me happy my buns are in their pens at night, haha. The only time they woke me was when I heard paws on wooden floors (there is no wooden floor in their pen), ran to the living room and found Muffin next to a eaten and ruined plant outside the pen. Or when I heard a loud bang, ran to the living room and again saw Muffin sitting there. OUTSIDE. THE PEN. Then the hours and nights after that you’re constantly listening if Muffin is out and about again, so annoying. I think I have upped the locking up game thus far that she won’t escape anymore, but we shall see haha.

I used to be into videogames when I was in uni, but don’t have as much time on my hands anymore, sadly. That and the games that come out all seem so blah? Maybe I’m just getting old, sigh. If anyone has an openworld RPG (preferably multiplayer) to recommend let me know. I used to be into Guild Wars 2 but I’ve been there, done that so many times now. xD I’ve also been into Tera but the community was quite toxic.

@Sirius&Luna: Wow what a downer! :C Indeed, finding a place is a pain in the ass and it sucks to be forced to leave your current home like that.

Participant

Thank you for your kind words everyone, they are really appreciated. It hits me harder than I would have expected. My uncle was the last person I was in touch with on mother’s side of the family, the rest ignores me because I don’t share the family’s religion. I’m going to visit my aunt a bit more often after all this has passed, think she’ll need it.
                                                                                                        Tomorrow’s going to be awkward, I think I’ll just join my dad somewhere in a quiet spot and leave it at that. I hope the rest of the family can keep their hellfire&brimstone speeches to themselves for once. (ICE I could always reply that I finally have a favourite bible verse: Matthew 7: 1-5 *evil snigger*)

@Daisy
                                                                                                        : Escapee bunnies are hilarious At least to read the stories, not to have one of your own. I remember someone on the forum who just couldn’t believe that their bun actually jumped the fence, but it really happened.
                                                                                                        I love open world RPG’s too, but I’m only interested in single player games. Need to be able to quit instantly whenever my body says “NO”!
                                                                                                        Fallout 76 was announced lately, and it’ll be online. So maybe that’s something for you  Oh, and there’s also Elder Scrolls online! The one Elder Scrolls game I didn’t buy because I want single player.

@S&L: that stinks I hope you can find a new place soon!

• OnyxMoon
                                                                                                        Participant

@Ellie Love the verse, its now become one of my favorites! I’m not religious, most of my family is though. So i know what its like to have religious family who don’t agree with your personal beliefs.

@S&L I hope the process isn’t too frustrating and you find a place soon. It sucks that the landlord changed their mind suddenly.

@Daisy I’ve had to deal with a similar issue with the pair we have, talk about double trouble.

I used to be all into video games. Lately i haven’t been but I really enjoy Skyrim, I tried elder scrolls online but i just didn’t get into it. I love the Fable series and Assassins Creed series as well, can’t go wrong with either of them.

I heard they announced that Elder Scrolls 6 is in pre-production, I can’t wait for it to actually be here. I hope its like skyrim, but much improved and better lol

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                          Participant

Thank you all, it is frustrating but hopefully something good will come of it in the end. It’s just so frustrating to be totally at the mercy of a landlord when you rent. You really have no rights at all.

I can’t contribute anything to video games unfortunately, but has anyone played the new Harry Potter mobile game?

• Deleted User
                                                                                                            Participant

S&L: Is that any good? I keep wanting to play it cause obviously I’m a huge Potterhead, but I’m so skeptical. I’ve heard mixed reviews. Hope you can find a place that’ll accept your little fur clan <3

I’ve always been big into video games, and luckily I married another junkie we’re pretty old school though. We’re mainly into our SNES, N64, and Playstation. Zelda, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Tomb Raider, Mario, all games I’m slightly embarrassed to say we still love to play at 26 years old xD I bought John the Switch for his birthday so now we’ve been tackling Hyrule Warriors together.

• Gordo and Janice
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                              703 posts Send Private Message

@A&B – Lol….Donkey Kong and Mario…now there’s a throwback! Let me show you how old I am. We would stare at the screen with two short lines deflecting a little white dot back and forth.

Anyone remember Pong on Atari? Then came the ultimate video game upgrades! Space Invaders and Asteroids. “bom…BOM…bom…BOM…bom…BOM” Oh the days of youth and (somewhat) innocence.

@Ellie
                                                                                                                – Sorry for the loss of your Uncle. And I understand being the black sheep of the family regarding religion. My dad is a preacher. I am the odd one out on all of that. The entire family all love and accept me however, but there is always something in the air. You can sense it, feel it. The poor lost soul! (me). But we are who we are and it is what it is. Sorry they treat you so.

@Daisy
                                                                                                                – The only escape that Icey ever pulled was a doozy. She had just been spayed so we set her up in our master bathroom in our first tiny house. (So it was a tiny master bath) We were trying to limit her movement and prevent squeezing into nooks and crannies in our bedroom. Like the tight spots behind our dresser and desk that she liked to literally squeeze in. Makes me laugh thinking about her squeezing. It was so tight she could only get between them and the wall by digging in her claws in the carpet and using only her tippy toes. You could watch her from the other side and she had such a weird look on her face because her cheeks would be pulled back tight. She would get in there and stop and look up at you with her little smashed face like, “What?”. Looked so uncomfortable to me but she would just hang out for a bit then squeeze back out. Did it all the time. (And once again I digress…)

Anyhow at bedtime we didn’t want to shut the door because we wanted to be able to hear and look in to check on her periodically. Well she was still young and smallish and she was on a smooth floor with no traction to get a good jump. So I blocked the doorway to a degree that I thought was impossible for her to get out. It was barricaded solid and I mean solid to above the doorknob (what is that, maybe 4 feet) When we woke up. She had gotten out! We were freaked out because we thought surely in the breakout she would have had to exert herself to a degree of tearing open the sutures. But she was fine. Just sleeping with us in the bedroom. I swear to you I studied the crime scene like a forensics expert for an hour trying to figure out how she did it. Squeeze or wedge through somewhere? Bottom? Jump and get hung up on the top and scramble over? It was rock solid. To this day, no idea. It never made sense. It’s like she teleported. I wish we would have put a camera up so I could understand. I can only imagine it would have showed a white blur flying over the top through the air 5 feet high. Which seems totally impossible. That was the first of so many times getting the best of me. It was like she was mind gaming me from the start. Always so clever.

@S&L – Stresses me out just reading about your situation. I soooo hate being out of control and I don’t like change on top of that. Makes my stomach churn a little thinking about it all. And you’ve got the 3 Musketeers to worry about. (Well you may not be worried about them, but my personality dictates worry.) Here’s a solution, buy yourselves a mansion and live happily ever after! If only, right? Like you said hopefully something good comes of it in the end.

• Deleted User
                                                                                                                Participant

G&J: I absolutely love Atari! I bought one when I was 15, and it’s one of my favorites. My absolute favorite games are Warlords and Pitfall. Of course Pacman is a classic I honestly should’ve been born in the 70’s so I could’ve lived in the 80’s. All my favorite TV, movies, and music are from that decade. Oh to see Def Leppard in their prime instead of 2007 and 2018.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                                                  Participant

Anyone remember Pong on Atari? Then came the ultimate video game upgrades! Space Invaders and Asteroids. “bom…BOM…bom…BOM…bom…BOM” Oh the days of youth and (somewhat) innocence.

Yes!!!! Doo…….doo…….doo………doo…….(down the screen) ..doo…doo…doo…doo..(down again)..doooo.doo.(down)….doo.doo.doo.(down…and). doodoodoodoodooo CRUSHED !!!!!

• Bam
                                                                                                                    Moderator

G&J, a true Houdini bun! They say to be rabbit proof a fence or gate needs to be 5 feet. So maybe she did jump over it? Kurotta’s Kurotta did sth of the sort on Instagram. Although not 5 feet ?

S&L, that really sounds very stressful. 

• kurottabun
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                      908 posts Send Private Message

LOL @bam!

We’d always kept Kurotta downstairs in our spare room, with a single level of fences that limited his area to half the room only. The other half was used to store his stuff.

That video was taken when he was brought upstairs due to an ant problem downstairs. We don’t have a spare room upstairs so we fenced off an area in the common room, thinking it was totally fine (and it was, for a long time) since he never jumped over the fence downstairs. We were wrong.

Since then we’ve moved him back downstairs and took away the fences, so he gets to roam the whole room now. Obviously that’s not enough too because he just dashes out whenever we open the door LOL. Sometimes we leave the door slightly ajar (but not enough for him to get out), and we see him sticking his little snoot out!

We also bought more fences anyway though as they’ll still be useful when we visit my parents’ place (he can’t roam as freely there). It’s already been tested that he CANNOT jump over a doubled up fencing – we saw him try it recently. He jumped and just fell on his side/back, the poor thing.

For those who are interested, here’s the video bam was talking about: https://www.instagram.com/p/BidOpcoFmey/?taken-by=kurotta.bun

• Gordo and Janice
                                                                                                                        Participant

@kurottabun – Lol…I had to watch it about 12 to 15 times in a row. He was giving it his all. Those back feet got him up there but then they were useless. His head and shoulders and elbows and whole body really had to work and jerk and wiggle to get the center of gravity of his body over the edge enough to make it to freedom. I mean he really was giving it his all. Cracks me up. I going to go watch it some more now.

• Daisy
                                                                                                                          Participant

@Ellie, yes it’s very funny until it’s your own bunnies going on a rampage through the house, ha! But honestly my first reaction is OH NO YOU DIDN’T YOU LITTLE.. but Muffin often looks so confused herself (why is Monster IN THERE and why am I HERE? WHAT IS THIS? WHAT IS THAT? WHAT IS LIFE?) I always start laughing while dragging her back to the pen. xD And then move on to sobbing about my poor plant or whatever got ruined (pillows, cables…).

I’ll look into Elder Scrolls and Fallout then! I now dabble into Portal 2 every now and then, it was 2 bucks on Steam so I couldn’t go wrong with it. It has a story line that you can play alone and a multiplayer mode, which is hilarious to do with a friend. Just make sure your friend is not a thousand times smarter than you else you will be dragged along as the friend solves all the puzzles before you figure them out, which is kind of lame.

@Gordo and Janice: I know right! I was convinced Muffin had teleport abilities until I saw her jumping over the pen. She’s 4 years old, was overweight at that time and too pussy to even walk on wooden floors so I couldn’t wrap my head around that she would be jumping it. But she does, weird little thing. Ha both my buns also really like getting stuck in way-too-tight spaces. I will just stare at them being uncomfortable and wriggling around in there for a bit and then come to rescue them, but I’m always met with a “Leave me alone human! I’m busy with important matters can you not see?!”

I’m technically too young for Pong, but my cousin had a computer (a black background with green letters one) that ran it so I did play it. My dad had a Windows 3.1 PC which he ended up giving to me so I also played PacMan, Wolfenstein (dear lord that was nerve wracking as a 6 year old haha) and all those other classics. When I developed a more proper brain I liked playing Jazz Jack Rabbit 2 and SSX Tricky 2 and 3 – both which I found in the Videogame museum again last year to play. I felt so old! And then proceeded to beat all high scores on it, ha – still had the fingerspitzengefühl. :’)

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                                            Participant

A&B, the Harry Potter game is quite fun for a bit, but it’s not got the same addictive qualities as say, Pokemon go. I don’t think it’s something I’ll still be playing in a months time!

Thanks for all the housing support guys! G&J, I also HATE change and HATE packing more than anything. So moving really is my idea of a nightmare, but so be it. I think we’ve decided to move a bit further out of central London, so we can pay the same rent but have a spare bedroom…. which means BUNNY ROOM. So I’m very excited about the prospect of a bunny room, which is consoling me somewhat.

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                                              Participant

@ Ellie (and the rest of the gamers, I’m overjoyed to see so many!), I LOVE my Fallout games. And Open world RPG /FPS. When I heard about Fallout 76, i giggled. Me giggling isn’t a pretty sight. Now, I can’t afford something like F76, the OR the rig I’d need to play it, but I DID just discover Neverwinter Online, and as an old school hardcore D&D fan (Don’t ask me what edition they’re up to, I gave up keeping up at the 4.5 Edition) and I’m tickled silly playing that!

(Rumor has it my daughters are conspiring to get me a XboxOne for Fathers day, to replace my antiquated Xbox 360. If that happens, I’m making a beeline to my Gamestop to snag Fallout 4. I might be seen for months after getting it.)

Oh, and in general news, I’m moving back to Tennessee next year. Florida is too hot, too expensive, and in general, too damn crazy. My ex wife doesn’t know this, and the poop will well and truly hit the fan when she finds out. Not looking forward to this, but looking forward to getting up there.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                                                                Participant

I think we’ve decided to move a bit further out of central London

LOL. Like Norfolk or Wales ??!!

• Bam
                                                                                                                                  Moderator

Ellie, belated happy birthday wishes!!! I hope you had an, under the circumstances, good birthday ???

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 6/13/2018 1:20 PM

LOL. Like Norfolk or Wales ??!!

more like Walthamstow… Which might as well be Wales 

Participant

Thank you bam! My home-baked vlaai turned out very well and it was nice that my dad visited us. My dad is a very strict judge because vlaai comes from his native Limburg. My grandmother often won contests with her vlaaien, so I have some expectations to live up to
                                                                                                                                        He tells me that my vlaaien always taste very authentic because I give the fruit a lot of time to ripen. It doesn’t go in unless I can smell its sweetness from the other side of the room. The secret is to capture the sweetness and lovely smells from the fruit, sugar should stay on the background. The authentic Limburgish vlaai isn’t that sweet at all, and vlaaien as sold in shops throughout the country are a perverse over-sweetened insult to Limburgish cuisine. 

A good vlaai is supposed to taste a bit tart with the fruit being the star of the show. The crust and lid of the vlaai are also low in sugar, they’re quite salty in comparison to other pastries, almost like a bread dough. You top it with sweetened whipped cream right before eating it. This makes for an interesting play of flavours between salty, tart, fruity and creamy.

Bas gave me the best gift ever: two study books for aspiring costume designers. It’s very technical about the shaping of clothing, measuring people and how to handle “faults” in figure and posture. Bas really did his best to find books by an international expert, and he managed to get books in actual metric units! Yes, very well done sweety!

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Just had to look up what vlaai was…. it looks delicious. Is there a certain type of fruit to traditionally use, or can you use anything you like?

Participant

Traditional vlaaien are often made with a pure fruit filling: apricots, cherries, berries or plums are the most popular. These are the vlaaien with the traditional diamond grid caps, baked in a large and flat vlaai pan. The fruit filling is heated and thickened with potato starch, and chilled to set. The raw dough in the pan is filled with the fruit filling, capped with the diamond grid, given an egg yoke wash, sprinkled with pearl sugar and baked as a whole. This is the most difficult type of vlaai to make. 

I’m so happy that I have a diamond grid mold for the cap! That’s so hard to make if you have to cut it out with a knife. Getting the dough out of the mold is always the critical moment in the process, if it falls off the whole diamond pattern is skewed and your vlaai will look like it has fallen. Bas and Breintje usually watch me do this last step in terror with their fingers/paws in their ears. Explosive swearing and angel feathers raining down means that the grid hasn’t come out properly

Another traditional vlaai is rijstevlaai which is filled with a creamy vanilla rice pudding. This is also a baked vlaai: you fill the raw dough with a cooked rice pudding but you don’t cap it. After cooling the rijstevlaai is topped with cream and often chocolate shavings, like a cheesecake. 

Crumble vlaai is also a traditional one: filled with butter/sugar/flour crumbles. Sometimes it’s accompanied by apple pieces too.

There are also many modern variations of custard vlaaien. These vlaaien consist of dough filled with custard which is baked. Many kinds of toppings can be added after the vlaai has cooled down: from jellied fruit to cheesecake-like toppings. This goes more towards a cake than an actual vlaai, so purists aren’t always eager for it. Vlaaien like these also don’t carry the name “Limburgish vlaai”, because that’s reserved for vlaaien which are baked as a whole. A modern variety summer favourite is jellied strawberries: strawberries cooked with potato starch and sugar. This will form a nice shiny layer which you can decorate with tufts of cream.

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Ok, that sounds amazing. Especially the modern custard ones and the ones filled with crumble. Do you eat them cold?

Participant

Yes, you eat the traditional vlaaien (fruit/rijst/crumble) at room temperature with cold whipped cream. Modern varieties are served chilled.
                                                                                                                                                Traditionally you can see if a vlaai is baked well if you can eat it by hand. It should be nice and thin but firm, like a good pizza slice. It’s also traditional to cut the vlaai into 10 broad slices. Many varieties are served at an event, and it’s sort of expected to try at least 2 varieties, to not offend your host(ess)

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                                                                Moderator
                                                                                                                                                22338 posts Send Private Message

Happy Birthday Ellie!

Honestly, i could read your posts about food all day. Yummm!

Bas and Breintje usually watch me do this last step in terror with their fingers/paws in their ears. Explosive swearing and angel feathers raining down means that the grid hasn’t come out properly

Participant

Thank you ^_^ And sorry for the costant editing in between, I don’t really have a clear head right now. My head is swimming with pain meds and the after-effects of the physio treatment. Time for a quick afternoon kip!

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks for the details. I have such a good vision of it now… I love that you have to try at least two so as not to offend!

And happy birthday of course I hope you eat all the vlaaien you can.

• Gordo and Janice
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Yes, Happy (belated?) Birthday, Ellie from the Nethers!

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                                                                        22338 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 6/14/2018 9:01 AM
                                                                                                                                                          Thank you ^_^ And sorry for the costant editing in between, I don’t really have a clear head right now. My head is swimming with pain meds and the after-effects of the physio treatment. Time for a quick afternoon kip!

Ha, I didn’t notice. I’m a chronic editor of my own posts so, I get it. Sorry about the headache :/

Participant

Actually it’s finally going away after 3 days. My neck was cramped up completely. Probably caught a draft of cold air, blasted AC’s…

I rarely have headaches, only when my neck/upper shoulders are totally cramped up. There’s nothing which will help, except heavy muscle relaxants and a physio applying some good old violence. The muscle relaxants have … interesting.. side effects when they’re at their strongest. Bas always laughs his butt off when I’m waddling about the house as stoned as a shrimp. I get super drowsy, forgetful and I misplace items at the weirdest places. Ever found your remote in the fridge or your keys in your sewing basket? Seemed very logical to me at that time :p

• OnyxMoon
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Happy belated birthday Ellie! ? Vlaai sounds awesome, as someone who loves cooking/baking, I may just try to make some!

• Hazel
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Ellie: Happy belated Birthday!  Your vlaai sounds delicious! Do you ever make some with apple filling?

Bladesmith: If you’re getting a new console, you might as well go ahead and opt for a PlayStation. There are lots of nice exclusives coming out. It’s just better all around.  Or ask your kids to get both. After all, they got a lot of ground to make up after dropping the ball on your birthday. 

Participant

Thank you for the birthday wishes everyone ^_^

@OnyxMoon: Great! This is a nice project for a more experienced baker. I’ll see if I can find an English recipe somewhere The special vlaai pan and diamond grid mold may be hard to find outside of our borders, but any other large flat baking tin will work.

-Grr, this p*sses me off… first pages on Google I find about baking vlaaien and they’re not even the traditional kind. This is cake you’re baking! You above-the-rivers-pieces-of-%%$#%… – Sorry, still half Limburgish…

This site describes the more traditional variety: https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/kersenvlaai-a-very-cherry-pie-with-bread-dough/
                                                                                                                                                                  You can make this one with apricots, berries or plums too. Resist the urge to taste the fruit mix, or take care to use new spoons every time or it’ll never thicken. The starch will disintegrate if it comes into contact with the smallest hint of enzymes in your saliva.

@Hazel: Not a huge fan of the crumble, it’s hard to bake a tasty crumble vlaai when working with gluten-free dough. It gets super dry, so I usually use a wetter filling: apricot (my favourite!) or cherry. Once I made a huge rijstevlaai and several fruit vlaaien as a special request for a friend’s birthday. It was decorated with cream, chocolate shavings and musical symbols made from chocolate. He was born below the rivers and he wanted to have a proper table full of vlaaien to welcome his guests. I bake many classic Dutch apple pies in the winter, but I’ve never tried it in a vlaai before.

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Happy belated birthday Ellie!! It sounds as if you’ve got plenty of reading to do with BAS presents.

Bladesmith : oh is your ex-wife in Tennessee? is that why you’re not telling her?
                                                                                                                                                                    Your going back, does this mean you will see more of your kids ?

Hazel : how are your furballs? How is Otis coming along? Baloo has got a new obsession, its a pink ‘hedgehog’ ball, with soft spikes. He L.O.V.E.S. it. It must be nicer in the mouth than his beloved tennis ball AND it SQUEAKS!!!. And so he ONLY gets it when we are play training, and he has to find it in long grass. He LOVES this game and after three searches he is KNACKERED and has a much lower energy !!! Result!!!!

Nothing better than chewy, gooey, crunchy crumble !!!!! Hmmmmmm.

• Hazel
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Yeah I was thinking of the diamond grid cap vlaai. You should definitely try one with apple filling, it’s so good! Crumbles can go to hell… 

• Hazel
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

They’re great Vienna, thanks for asking!  I’m in the process of making Bubble’s cage a bit more handicapped friendly, putting ramps in so he doesn’t have to jump to get up or down the levels. His leg hasn’t healed completely, I guess he’ll have a little limp forever.  It’s not slowing him down any, though.  Otis is doing fine, we’re having him out and about pretty much whenever we’re home/not sleeping.  I was gonna post some pictures of him, but I gotta take some of Oscar first, can’t constantly be spamming the pic thread with non-bunny pictures only…  We’re shooting for September to get him neutered, after that he’ll be old enough to start going biking with me. I hope he’ll like it!

I think we have the same hedgehog, but it belongs to Bubbles. He loves it, too.  I’m glad to hear that things are going well with Baloo! How’s he doing with other dogs now?

Participant

@Bladesmith: returning home, that sounds nice We get a lot of “Florida man”-news here as well. I wasn’t sure if it’s just an exaggeration or if that state is really so messed up at times. The bunsters will love the change of climate too I guess ^_^

@Vienna: Awww, that sounds so cute! Just reading that makes me grin ^_^

@Hazel: Apple and diamond grid won’t work I think, because the dough is bread dough. You’ll need a very wet and juicy fruit for that, else your vlaai will get dry. It’s a bit comparable to Italians pairing pasta shapes with the right sauces. Like ragù alla Bolognese which is supposed to go with chunkier pasta like tagliatelle.

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

@Vienna, no, she’s down here, the famn damily is down here, and with the exception of my Ex, they all hate it here. It’s a long story, but she’s not going to be pleased.

She’s…..not the woman I fell in love with, and neither my daughters nor I much care for who she is these days. Time to stop living in her orbit and establish our own. Far Far away.

• OnyxMoon
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

@Ellie Ahh, thanks for the link! I was worried I wouldn’t be able to find a proper recipe. I think I’ll try making it with berries, I’ve been in a very berry mood lately. I’ll have to search for a proper tin, hopefully I’ll be able to find one soon.

@Bladesmith Hopefully they will, to make up for your birthday! I prefer Xbox over playstation, just because the Fable series is only available on there and PC. I recently upgraded to Xbox one from my 360, i struggled learning the new layout at first but its worth it for sure.

I hope Tennessee treats you better than Florida, I’m actually from Florida, it gets so humid there i don’t know how anyone stands it. It gets humid and super hot in VA, being by the beach and stuff, but nothing compares to Florida humidity and heat!

Participant

@Bladesmith: sounds like that would be healthier for you all. If it’s not going to work, not even as friends, don’t stick around. It’ll just keep you back and living half in the past. I hope you will meet some awesome people in your new area!

• Daisy
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

@Ellie: Happy birthday! Better late than never, haha. Ooh vlaaien! I’m a filthy randstatter because I’m not very into vlaaien. 

I prefer cake! And I prefer muffins if I’m baking myself. They’re so easy and fool proof! I like making strawberry muffins or apple + cinnamon muffins.

I tried baking a “vlaai” once, well atleast I thought I was. After reading your post I realised it was one of those “above the rivers” wannabe’s haha. It was a custard crumble one and turned out HORRIBLE; raw on the inside, hard and dry on the outside and the curstard was tasteless and “schiftte” multiple times, woops. 

Curious: I always thought vlaai translates to pie and that taart is cake? And then a tart is a tiny vlaai?

@Bladesmith: Wow that sounds like quite the move! Goodluck with it! I’m sure you’ll be happy you did it once it’s over and done. 

Participant

Hehehe, it’s a regional thing from Limburg and sometimes Brabant indeed. I’m only super into vlaaien because my dad is Limburgish, and it reminds me of my opa&oma and their farm. My vlaaien are appreciated by my friends too, because many of them are at least half Limburgish. Twente shares much of the culture, landscape and dialect with Limburg, so many of them feel at home at our Twente University. My dad made the trek back in the 80’ies to study Chemical Engineering and found out the Tukkers weren’t so different at all. Half-German unintelligible dialect, going nuts at carnaval and being very “devout” catholics the rest of the year. We’re also strong on traditions just like the Limburgish. Herman Finkers made a sketch about the language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avsdkiYjm2M And about carnaval being not as crazy as a Limburger may expect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXMTHIDoxiE&nbsp;

I must admit that the “vlaaien” you can buy at bakeries/supermarkets outside of Limburg are overly sweet. This takes away the whole purpose of the thing: vlaai is all about “simple, yet complex”. The play of textures and flavours between the salty bread dough and the slightly tart fruityness of the filling. I love this simple style of cooking, it’s quite close to the Italian cucina povera: turning a few basic ingredients into a feast. 

You can call a vlaai a vlaai in English because it’s a unique style of baking and a protected regional dish. Just like the Italians don’t have to call their prosciutto “ham” (oh dear…). Taart is cake indeed, and a tart is an open pastry, so that can be anything between a tarte tatin to a quiche. And because vlaaien are capped, this excludes them from that category.

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

We used to live in Tennessee, bailing out of Florida after the accident and getting the crap kicked out of us by the Hurricanes of 2004. So I’m going back to where I’ve been, but was happy at. It’s going to be SO nice. Plus, seasons!

Speaking of desserts, I used to make my ex these delicious dessert crepes on special occasions. Sweet crepes filled with a vanilla creme cheese filling and drizzled with raspberry sauce

Also my cranberry white chocolate scones are pretty good too.

Participant

Hurricanes must be so scary! Glad to hear that you’re returning to a friendlier place ^_^

Haha, I’ve really done it now, haven’t I? Everybody is drooling and dreaming sugary sweet dreams of vlaai, cakes and other delicious desserts.

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

All five buns have just had their monthly claw clip and weigh-in, and are proud to say they have all now lost every last gram of their winter weight gain (not that it was much, no more than 200g each) and they all have their nice slim beach bodies back ready for the summer vaccation

Participant

Yay, congrats on your happy healthy bunnies. Must be all the fresh salads lately ^_^

Ah, domestic life… I laughed so hard today, Bas and I are so alike… He has a little stash of clothing here in my apartment for when he sleeps over. And he was always complaining about his socks going missing. Turns out that we both buy the same brand, in the same colours, from the same shop  
                                                                                                                                                                                            Our shoe sizes don’t even differ that much, he has really elegant feet for a guy. Well, that explains my sudden ill-fitting sock problems. I’ve settled behind the sewing machine with a huge pile of recovered socks, and giving all his ones a marking.

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks, though I think poor Podge is still bit confused to be called happy today. I never thought to show him Latte like a bonded bun would need to see and maybe spend time with, and he’s been a bit lost looking at times today

As for healthy, I really hope the five we have left stay that way for a long time! Grieving is exhausting

Participant

What??? Oh man, I’m so sorry, I just caught up with the Rainbow Bridge topic. So sorry I missed it

Poor Podge

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I was trying to be positive with this mornings chat post, til Podge threw me with that face

Losing two only 7 weeks apart is really difficult, it was only Podge that had any time for Latte, the other buns aren’t affected.

Participant

Yes, he looks so forlorn Do you have a good bond with him? When Breintje is upset we try to lie down on the ground with him for a cuddle session. Or I carry him in my vest with his bum supported by a knotted shawl, like a baby sling. Could any of these things help Podge?

• Bam
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Moderator

G.J: Maybe you should speak a little piggy to Podge? You always used to speak piggy to Latte. Maybe Podge misses that.

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

He’s jumped on and off me a few times throughout the day as I’ve sat on the settee, and had I don’t know how many ear rubs…

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Bunnies are back outside, and Podge is more like himself today, though every so often still stopping and looking around thoughtfully as if to say, where is Latte’s run, its missing and so is he. I’ve moved the empty run right out of sight…

He’s eating fine thankfully, his appetite was unaffected yesterday too.

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Clover belly Clover belly Clover belly….

OK, Since I shared my tale of birthday angst and woe, I thought I owed you all the polar opposite for Father’s Day.

11:45 this morning, I’d almost given up hearing from my kids, and resigned myself to a repeat of my birthday, and being forgotten. Again. 

Instead, I got a text from my youngest, Alyssa, telling me they were taking me out to lunch for Father’s Day. Who is “They”, I asked. Alyssa, my oldest daughter Amanda, and biggest surprise of all (No, not my ex wife, are you insane?), my ex MOTHER in Law. Knock me over with a feather.

Now, quick backstory, my oldest is my adopted daughter, though I rarely use the term. My ex got pregnant in High School (not by me), had her when she was 15. We have had a….tumultuous relationship, to put it mildly. But I always stood up for her, even when I was standing up to her.

And my ex MIL? Well, I’ve been under the impression for a while now that she flat hated my guts, and believed everything my ex told her family whilst blaming me for the failure of the marriage. So seeing her with the kids taking me to lunch about blew my mind.

Long story short, we had a GREAT time at lunch, talked about a bunch of stuff we should have talked about long ago, and all got along famously. It was one of, if not the best fathers day I’ve ever had.

But here’s the highlight of the day. The card. Well, the message my oldest wrote inside the card. Here’s what it said;

“Dad,Thank you for always being there for me when no one else was. Thanks you for all the advice over the years. Thank you for coming into my life, and stepping up as my dad. Love, Amanda.”

I came into Amanda’s life when she was 5 years old. I adopted her right after I married her mother. I’ve waited 17 years to see/hear those words, and they are, hands down, the greatest gift I’ve ever gotten.

I’m a dad to two wonderful, beautiful, young ladies.  Today was a good day.

• Gordo and Janice
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

What a surprise! A surprise all around in the nicest way. I’m glad you had such a great Father’s Day.

• Azerane
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Moderator
                                                                                                                                                                                                              4688 posts Send Private Message

I’m so glad you had an amazing Father’s day It’s easy to take parents for granted, even if we don’t intend to, words like that are things we need to remember to say to anybody we appreciate more often.

Not much going on around here. Hubby and I saw Solo on the weekend. I surprised myself and really enjoyed it. Every time I watched a trailer all I could think of was “that’s not Han Solo” over and over. But when you get into the movie I was distracted from the actor himself to the story and character as a whole. I think it worked.

Participant

Wow, that’s such a beautiful thing to hear Bladesmith ^_^ Isn’t it odd how little we tell the people around us how much we appreciate them? It must feel so wonderful to finally get that acknowledgement

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  6345 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone! ?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    There’s no WAY I can catch up after months of no BB access, but I just wanted to say that I’ve missed you guys and that I’m glad to be back on the forum.

Chewie and I are loving being out of the sandpit (especially in the summer… even if a heatwave just hit, it’s still nowhere near Kuwait’s weather).
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    The little wookie is spreading joy in daily doses, and I’m slowly adjusting to the new time zone and unpacking… no plans yet, except finishing my next novel. Mostly just immensely relieved to retire… lol

Saw Solo and (shocking!) really enjoyed it. Am sad that Chewbacca couldn’t go with me, though. Canadian cinemas aren’t so easy to sneak bunnies into as Kuwaiti ones. ?

Will try to pop in regularly now… although I still get so distracted by random repatriation things. ?

May the Force be with you and your buns! ??

Participant

Hi! I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you again! Really, it would get weird… Looking forward to hearing from you and the furmonster again ^_^

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

<3 <3 <3

• Daisy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Packing for my trip to Barcelona tomorrow (if the Airport people there decide not to rebel and strike there :’) ). Ugh, I always hate the day before leaving, it makes me go “what the $*&! am I doing to myself?!” XD

Especially now that I have buns again. In the past whenever I left home the buns would stay home and somebody would come care for them. This time I’m moving them to my parents house today. Poor things are going to be confused as $*&!. Oh well, I’m bringing their own pen and all their stuff so I hope they feel home soon. And I sure as hell hope Muffin doesn’t escape there. After months of behaving she decided to escape again this night. I swear one day I’ll glue her to the ground, haha. I just finished a “please don’t kill my bunnies” caregiver list and am trying to think of things to add to there that I forgot.

Participant

Have an awesome vacation! I’m sure your parents will appreciate their cute new house guests, just hoping that the furmonsters will be on their best behaviour ^_^

After much scepticism from Bas I have Breintje on his new pellets now, and he enjoys them just as much as the old ones. Bas said that he had tried other brands but that Breintje was always fussy. I did NOT like the old pellets because they contain a lot of cereals and are high-calorie. That isn’t good for Breintjes digestive system and weight (oh, and my coeliac disease…). We stored his pellets in a tin, and whenever I poured the pellets from the bag into the tin I always had to cover my face with a wet rag or risk a day of stomach cramps. Aside from my allergy risks we constantly had to monitor Breintjes weight. If he had slightly too many pellets, he’d need to go on a diet again with all the accompanying diet grumpiness.

His new pellets are timothy-based with 25% fibre and cereal-free! So I can have bunny kisses whenever I want, and won’t have to wash my hands after feeding him ^_^ Okay, the pellets are more expensive, but how much pellets does an ND really eat? 30 grams a day or so… This new bag costs €6 and will last him a whole month. I’m hoping for better poops and fewer tummy upsets for the both of us.

• MoxieMeadows
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

I had a little cold and then it turned into a full blow sinus and ear infection. Blehhhh I just need to get better! Lol

• Dface
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Welcome back to the forum Q8!!

Ellie-Glad to hear he’s being cooperative with the new pellets, I remember moving mine to fibafirst and they gave me nothing but sass for about a month, bur with two looong coats I figured the extra fiber trumped the angry faces!!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                A better diet and more bunny kisses is 100% worth the extra money.

My pair recently had a dig shed made for them, they are in their absolute element with it! I planted it with rabbit safe plants, but most of them have already been eaten or uprooted…oh well!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                It’s so handy when Im working nights- I can just move them to their outside room and get a full days sleep, and then bring them back in in the evening.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Although it does mean that Peeps gorgeous white coat is ruined with mud and grass stains now !

I need to get them a new carrier as we are all heading up to my boyfriends for 2 weeks in July. I cannot wait for the break from work..its slowly driving me insane-someone actually stole my book from here
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                (right when it was getting good!-granted I think the idea of a mystery book disappearing does add to the appeal of it )

But their current carrier is too small-but im not sure what the best option would be for them, seeing as Yumi just sits on Peep to create a double decker rabbit every.single.trip. Its like the weirdest game of the carrier is lava.

• Daisy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Posted By Ellie from The Netherlands on 6/23/2018 6:41 PM

Have an awesome vacation! I’m sure your parents will appreciate their cute new house guests, just hoping that the furmonsters will be on their best behaviour ^_^

After much scepticism from Bas I have Breintje on his new pellets now, and he enjoys them just as much as the old ones. Bas said that he had tried other brands but that Breintje was always fussy. I did NOT like the old pellets because they contain a lot of cereals and are high-calorie. That isn’t good for Breintjes digestive system and weight (oh, and my coeliac disease…). We stored his pellets in a tin, and whenever I poured the pellets from the bag into the tin I always had to cover my face with a wet rag or risk a day of stomach cramps. Aside from my allergy risks we constantly had to monitor Breintjes weight. If he had slightly too many pellets, he’d need to go on a diet again with all the accompanying diet grumpiness.

His new pellets are timothy-based with 25% fibre and cereal-free! So I can have bunny kisses whenever I want, and won’t have to wash my hands after feeding him ^_^ Okay, the pellets are more expensive, but how much pellets does an ND really eat? 30 grams a day or so… This new bag costs €6 and will last him a whole month. I’m hoping for better poops and fewer tummy upsets for the both of us.

Well I’m not so sure about that. They spent the night there and my dad apped me saying they escaped. Knowing my dad and my buns I can’t tell if he’s joking or not. 

Oh how great! Which brand did you switch to? I’m heavily pondering about switching my buns over from Supreme Science Selective to Beaphar Nature which is grainfree as well.

Dface, The carrier is lava – that’s the most hilarious thing I’ve heard all day. :’D Even when there is a towel or something soft in it? Maybe they’re both refusing to sit by the door or something.

Participant

@Dface: That dig shed sounds amazing! How much Breintje would give for a shed full of dandelions… (all to be uprooted within the day, and him being sulky about the lack of nommies…). Your work sounds awful, and who on earth would steal a book? Hope you’ll get it back soon!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I still have to giggle about the doubledecker bunny, you have a pair of crazy bunsters

@Daisy: woops! I hope he’s joking! Oh my, joking dads and buns… Breintje doesn’t appreciate it when my dad is trying to be a funny guy when he visits. He doesn’t know rabbit behaviour and tries to play with him like a dog. Trying to play fetch by throwing his toys and making noises to make him playful, he doesn’t understand that rabbits find that very offensive. It usually ends in Breintje giving him the butt for the rest of the evening.

I switched to Terra Expert Timothy Rabbit from Vadigran, it seems that retailers sell it at different prices online. At bol.com (our Amazon for the non-Dutchies) I see prices up from €8 a bag, but I bought 900g for €6 at a local pet shop. The protein content is a bit higher than usually advised (15,7% vs 12-14%), but the rest of the nutritional values are awesome! (25% fibre!) http://www.terra-vadigran.com/en/produits/terra-expert-all-in-one-rabbit/

Breintje wasn’t eating enough hay again, and producing smaller poops by the day. With a LARP weekend in sight (Bas and nearly all my friends being unavailable for 4 days) I wasn’t looking forward to tummy troubles or sudden vet visits. Hoping for big round poops!

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Daisy: Safe travels! By the time you return, the buns will probably cry to stay on with grandma and grandpa

Dface: Cheers!

Ellie: I don’t know why ANY bunny foods have grains in them. Buns aren’t chickens.

• Daisy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Q8Bunny, it’s a cheap way to fatten up rabbits for meat. So it’s a thing from the past as far as I’m concerned, really. I’m kinda hoping the grain free trend pulls through and it becomes easier to get and more mainstream, but until then there are a few good options I think. Currently leaning towards Beaphar Nature because it seems to have more herbs but Terra seems quite interesting should the buns hate Beaphar, Ellie! I’ll remember that.

Turns out my dad wasn’t joking. I didn’t secure the pen enough so the bunnies shove the pen open and went on a full rampage tour through my old bed room. My mom opened the door next morning and they hopped right past her legs into the other rooms. Oops! :’) I sealed that thing with 1000 tie wraps now so good luck escaping again buns!

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

The Amazing Houdini Zucchini Bunny Duo!

Participant

Yes, I’m hoping for more high quality bunny food and more challenging toys. Sometimes you look at items in pet shops and think: dear producers have you ever SEEN a bunny? Do you know how their digestive system works? Do you have any idea how clever they are?? This “puzzle” can be solved by throwing the whole thing on its side, which is the first thing he’ll try. End of entertainment…
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I have to keep in mind that it’s a pretty new “trend” to keep bunnies as real house pets. Many rabbits are still kept in conditions that you’d keep a meat rabbit in, because it’s been done like that for ages. Luckily for the bunsters, and to the delight of new owners, more and more people are seeing how awesome they are to have around. (Except when all that cleverness makes them chronic escapees )

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

@Daisy: I can easily imagine the scene with the escaping bunnies! And with them laughing their heads off as they bolt through the open door. Accompanied by the Benny Hill theme as they make their escape.

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Popped into Lidl to shop, they had baby carrots with tops on and ruby romaine lettuce, whuich I’ve never seen before but I assume are bun safe and look bunnilicious. The buns each got a baby carrot with the tops left on as a very rare treat and scoffed them down with immense enthusiam. They can give verdict on the ruby romaine later, they like normal romaine anyway so this should just give variety. With a UK heat-wave, nothing is growing in the garden.

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I’ve not really looked into grain free food before, thanks for the awareness Ellie. I’ll have a look into grain free options and talk to the vet when I take Atlas in for his second vaccination.

Gina – I’ll have to keep an eye out for Ruby romaine in Lidl. Last time they had carrots with tops in Lidl I enthusiastically bought them, only to have buns turn their noses up…

It was my birthday at the weekend and I got an ice cream maker, which is PERFECT for this heatwave. I just need to decide what flavour to make first

• Vienna Blue in France
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Happy belated bday S&L !!!!!!!! Cracking weather for a bday!!!! And ooooo ice cream maker…..
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GJ. Lucky buns. Mini carrots must be even sweeter. Yuuum.

I think British BB members are outnumbering USA ones at the moment!!! Great stuff !!!!

• Gordo and Janice
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Posted By Vienna Blue in France on 6/26/2018 1:02 PM

I think British BB members are outnumbering USA ones at the moment!!! Great stuff !!!!

Wait!….What the?!……..

Participant

@Bladesmith: hahaha, oh my, you know how to make a picture thinker giggle all day ^_^

@G.J: Yum, that sounds tasty! Romaine is a favourite here too, and it keeps so well in the fridge.

@S&L: Happy (belated) birthday! That’s such a unique gift, I hope you’ll have a lot of fun with it I made yoghurt ice cream with forest fruits last week. Bought a large pack of frozen mixed forest fruit (which is very cheap compared to the fresh stuff). I put it all in a blender, added the yoghurt, and only needed a small bit of sugar. It came out surprisingly sweet because of the fruit, and the texture is like sorbet but a bit more creamy because of the yoghurt.

On a side note: the food is a really big hit! It’s definitely more filling, so he has fewer hunger pangs & grumpy moments. At times he used to “vacuum” the carpet looking for food everywhere, and he was trying to bite the carpet. That has stopped
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The downside is that I’m seeing fewer binkies when I bring him his evening bunny salad. He used to go bonkers when he heard the fridge drawer open. Now he’s definitely interested, but not so mad that he’s trying to jump onto the plate while you’re setting it down. I hope that he’ll stay hungry for treats though, because that’s the way I put him in his hutch for the night. Yesterday he refused to go in, even though I rattled the bag and waved the treat in full view. “Nah, I’m full, but thanks anyway!”

He’s suddenly sooo soft btw! It must be some oil or a certain protein in the food I’m guessing. He’s looking good and pooping even better!

• Gina.Jenny
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

The ruby romaine was a big hit five happy bunnies

• Sirius&Luna
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks guys! Frozen fruit is a great idea Ellie, although I don’t know if sorbets need to be churned… and I do want to put the new ice cream maker to good use. I’ll have to look up some recipes.

Great that the food has made such a difference to Breintje!

• Daisy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

@Ellie, indeed I like dog and cat toys better for intelligence games! I’m often wondering if so much downright bad stuff is sold for cats and dogs as well. The most basic things are bad 99.99% of the time in pet stores: Food and cage and most treats. I don’t understand why this is still a thing.

Does he still eat his hay well now that he is more full?

@Blacksmith, yes that’s probably exactly how it went! XD Add a mom going from sleepy to full panic mode and going “NO SHOO GO BAC-OHNONO DON’T GO THERE WHY ARE YOU THERE OH MY GO-NOO NOT THE STAIRS SOMEONE HALP D:”. :’)

They’ve escaped again. Sis be like “I opened the door and they just hopped out!” Well no $*&! Sherlock.

Participant

Posted By Sirius&Luna on 6/27/2018 5:47 AM

I’ll have to look up some recipes.

A difficult task, but I’m sure you’ll pull through  Decisions decisions… 

Wish I could set up my ice cream maker again, but my freezer is too full all the time to put that massive cooling block in. My first try would be tiramisu ice cream! Albert Heijn supermarkets don’t sell it anymore For that matter: they’ve been changing so much over the last year. There are over 15 products which were staples of my diet which I can’t get anymore… I love tiramisu both in ice cream and as a regular dessert. They sold GF varieties of both, which were a real treat. I was very sad to see it going out of stock.

Having a very limited medical diet means that you get super attached to the things you CAN eat, and if something is finally available that’s super special. Many coeliacs agree: Genius bread&bakery products had been introduced here, and many coeliacs liked it a lot. Then AH decided to push their own GF product line and threw out all Genius. There was a massive Facebook campaign and stuff is back in shops now

Posted By Daisy on 6/27/2018 4:41 PM 

@Ellie
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                , indeed I like dog and cat toys better for intelligence games! I’m often wondering if so much downright bad stuff is sold for cats and dogs as well. The most basic things are bad 99.99% of the time in pet stores: Food and cage and most treats. I don’t understand why this is still a thing. 

Does he still eat his hay well now that he is more full? 

@Blacksmith, yes that’s probably exactly how it went! XD Add a mom going from sleepy to full panic mode and going “NO SHOO GO BAC-OHNONO DON’T GO THERE WHY ARE YOU THERE OH MY GO-NOO NOT THE STAIRS SOMEONE HALP D:”. :’) 

They’ve escaped again. Sis be like “I opened the door and they just hopped out!” Well no $*&! Sherlock. 

Yes, there’s many bad stuff for them too. I once saw a calorie counter poster at the vet’s showing how many calories were in doggie treats. Especially some kinds of chewing bones. Yikes, no wonder many dogs are so tubby. 

I found that the quality of the products depends on the pet shop. Our local pet shop is horrible: it sells many wrong products, rabbit cages which are way too small, and they give bad advice too. The pet shop in the shopping centre in the west part of town is a lot better. The owner has his own cat who walks around there to greet the visitors. A friend of mine often goes there for their special brand of cat food. It contains more actual meat instead of ahem “byproducts” . They had 10 flavours of herbal hay to choose from, and several types of grain-free or low-calorie rabbit food ^_^ The owner even sounded quite knowledgeable about bunnies. It’s also accessible to mobility scooters, while the other shop was staffed by a very sour lady who let out a big sigh whenever she had to get me something because the place was just too crammed. 

Better products, accessible with proper wide aisles and no crap stored in corner shelves, we’ve definitely found a new address to shop! Honestly, those surprise baskets in corners are the bane of my shopping experience. You’ll only notice there is one while you’re launching it through the shop. Mobility scooters are low and wide, and once you’re turning a corner you can’t change course halfway. You’ll end up stuck in an odd angle having to do a 21 point turn. And then the staff looks at you as if you were speeding with your eyes closed…

Breintje still eats some hay, but refuses to eat from his hay rack. Too much trouble to reach through the bars of the cage… I’ve made him a play-box with a wire ball in it filled with dandelion hay. That was thoroughly dragged around and chewed yesterday night. I think I’ll hang the wire ball in his cage tonight. Please don’t go boxing, please don’t go boxing…

Hahaha, i love the escapee stories about your bunnies. They sound so fun and inquisitive 

• Bladesmith
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

@Ellie:  Usually I only elicit those kinds of giggles from ladies when I disrobe.  

• Q8bunny
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Ooo la laaa!

Participant

Hey, if you got it, flaunt it

Viewing 127 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE June Chat