Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE January Chat

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
    • LBJ10
      16870 posts Send Private Message

Nobody has done this is awhile, so…

Bun Jovi, Bun Jovi, Bun Jovi!!!

Happy January and Happy New Year to everyone! Does anyone have any new year’s resolutions?

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

Awwww yay! Happy New Year! I am counting down the days till I get my grumpy grandpa back! Only 10 now!

I don’t really have a resolution. I saw a meme that said it was the year’s turn to improve, LOL!

But if I had to make one, it would be to snuggle my bunnies even MORE.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• ParsleyBun
          Participant
          119 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm… New Year’s Resolutions.

Provide better pet enrichment

Go outside more

try to argue less, I’m bad at that lol

Who else stayed up last night and watch the ball drop live stream? Was anybody actually there? I wasn’t, I just watched the live stream. Part of it, at least. When do you think you will get your buns back, @DanaNM ?

• DanaNM

I watched the ball drop live stream for about the last few minutes before midnight, ha!

We get the keys to our new place on the 10th, and are getting the moving truck on the 11th. I’m thinking it would be best to wait until we get the furniture all moved to get the buns, so probably the 13th? But I may not be able to resist that long!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• ParsleyBun
                Participant

Yep, that’s exactly what I did! I wasn’t rrally interested in watching 3 hours of partying.

I am soooo excited for you to get your babies back!

There’s snow on the forecast for tonight!!!!! My buns love the snow.

• Bam
                16838 posts Send Private Message

Hoppy New Year!

My New Year’s resolution is to try and find a suitable husbun for Snöa 😃

(Although tbh that’s been then plan all along).

How exciting Dana!!!

ParsleyBun, snow is so great, I love snow. It makes the world so pretty! We had snow over Christmas, but now we just have pouring rain.

• DanaNM

Yes I’m excited for some snow! It’s just been drizzling rain all week!

• LBJ10
                    16870 posts Send Private Message

I was going to try to eat healthier… but I know that isn’t going to happen. So I think I’m going to try to eat less, since I have a tendency to eat too much.

It snowed a little bit here. It’s super cold though, so that’s no fun. :\

• GlennTheLionhead
                      Participant
                      361 posts Send Private Message

Happy New Year

Wishing a healthy and happy year to you and all your buns!

Parsleybun – going outside is a great resolution! I might try adopt that one too.

Dana- lovely to hear your buns will be back soon, will be so rewarding and worth the wait once your all moved in!

Bam- good luck with the husbun search and bonding! Getting mine bonded will also be a resolution of mine!

LBJ10- eating less is definitely super hard sometimes, good luck!

My ‘resolutions’ are as mentioned, getting my lions bonded, saving to buy/build a wooden castle Fort thing for the buns and for myself a very cliche try to do more excercise!

• DanaNM

Bam- Ooooh I can’t wait for Snöa to find a husbun! So exciting!

Glenn- Good luck with the lion bonding!

And yes to going outside more often too! My brother is a personal trainer and he says its helpful to make goals and resolutions very specific an achievable so you know when you’ve accomplished them. So something like “go for a 10 minute walk twice a week”, rather than “spend more time outside” can help a lot! Starting small helps to build momentum too!

We got a winter CSA this year that has been helping us to eat more veggies through the winter so far. We get 1 box once per month that is mostly storage veggies and its been pretty good, I need to look up some parsnip recipes though!

• Azerane
                          4688 posts Send Private Message

Happy new year!

I really want to try and get my art business off the ground this year. I love my job but it’s destroying my body with how physically taxing it is.

Apollo is doing well but Luna is very unwell, we nearly lost her this week and still could, but she is showing improvement. Made a post about it in the House Rabbit Q and A section.

• ParsleyBun
                              Participant

Ooh an art bussiness, that sounds cool! I love drawing, but I’m not professional or anything. I’ve only been doing it for 3 months, but I never intend to stop!

I’m so sorry about Luna. I hope she is feeling better.

• GlennTheLionhead
                              Participant

Bellas blankets were freshly washed today and I think she’s happy about it!

Azerane, sending you positive vibes for your art business and Luna alike! Glad to hear she’s getting better, good luck!

• DanaNM

Bella looks cozy and content!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                                  Participant
                                  2512 posts Send Private Message

Happy New Year everyone!

There are so many exciting things happening for everybody. I hope that your dreams and resolutions will come true! ^_^

We’re counting down the days until Owen and Molly can be reunited on January 24th. We’re all eager for it: they miss each other and are often licking each other through their hutch bars. Bas and I are happy that we won’t have to let them out in turns anymore. They both want to go outside and get rid of their boundless energy, so they’re rattling the hutch bars once the other is let out.

We wanted to keep things as stress-free as possible, and tried to make the switch once they went back to their hutch to drink or use the box. Sadly it isn’t working well, and there’s always somebunny who doesn’t want to go back. Sometimes they’ll be outside for hours while the other one is going crazy with excess energy, so we have to chase someone back to their hutch. We’ll all be so happy when this business is over!

• Susanne
                                    Participant
                                    410 posts Send Private Message

Happy New year! Hopefully Bun Jovi and the gang will be moving home this week, yay!

Bella looks so comfortable and adorable, I love her colors.

I don’t have any solid resolutions, I’m thinking of trying to move again but it depends. I’m mostly just so happy my buns finally bonded and my master bathroom under construction (for almost a year because of a long story/ pause) is finally getting completed and I’ll be able to use it!

• ParsleyBun
                                      Participant

I have officially  reached the bunn6 ctaziness level where my friend’s siblings call me ‘the bunny girl’ behind my back. Lol

Participant

Hihi, congratulations Parsleybun ^_^ It’s always nice to be recognised 😉

I overheard my neighbours talking about me in that way too. There had been a burglary in one of the apartments down the hallway, and all the neighbours were out in the hall.

Breintje got a bit upset because of the noisy crowd, and I went back inside to calm him down. Then I overheard someone from one floor above taking to my direct neighbour:

– Who lives there?

o Elise

– Don’t know her

o Yeah you do, mrs. Rabbit!

–  Oh, her!

😆

Well, Breintje did always consider me to be his bonded female ^_^

• ParsleyBun
                                            Participant

Ahhh so funny!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I happen to be in an art class with my friend’s sister. Yesterday my friend told me that her sister had come home from art class yesterday and told her, “That really nice bunny girl is in my class.” I was on the floor laughing. There is even a 5yr. old boy that calls me that!

It could have something to do with that bunny mom hoodie….. 😀

• GlennTheLionhead
                                              Participant

Awww lol, bunny girl and Mrs. Rabbit both seem like pretty good titles to me! Just shows your love for bunnies does not go unoticed!

I have not had anyone call me a rabbit lady yet but when I meet new people be it friend or work colleagues they will often have seen a photo of my rabbits within the first day lol

• Bladesmith
                                                Participant
                                                849 posts Send Private Message

Oh good, I’m not alone in having a Rabbit Reputation!  I’m the “Rabbit Guy” in my townhouse development and town.  Something about traveling around town with this big honkin’ hare in my car.

If the local library ever goes back to in person events (Thanks for nothing, Covid!)  Loki has a ready gig there as their “Reading Rabbit” and official Easter Bunny.

As for the new year, NO RESOLUTIONS!!  Why set myself up for failure, lol.  That said, I’m going into making CosPlay weaponry, and attempting (fingers crossed) to open a new knife making shop.  I’ve been sitting on my tuchas for 3 years now.  Now that I’ve gotten on some antidepressants, and finding out I’ve had ADHD for almost 60 years, I feel invigorated.  If I don’t start making things again soon, I’m gonna lose what little is left of my mind.

Participant

@Bladesmith: sorry that I overlooked this, this new thread within a thread system is a bit confusing.

It must have been such a revelation to get a diagnosis! I hope that it’ll help you ^_^

Your plan for a shop is amazing, you make beautiful stuff! Wishing you all the best for this new year!

• GlennTheLionhead
                                                  Participant

Today I’ve realised that Glenn and Bella both have different ‘favourite hays’……

Typical persons expectation= ‘rabbits are cheap pets’

Reality = several different flavours of hay at any one time and a bunny who will refuse brocoli unless it is tenderstem or purple sprouting brocoli, refuse kale unless it’s cavolo nero or purple kale and another bunny who will refuse to eat her portion of greens unless it includes a portion of fresh herb. – human buys bunny toy… Bunny toy non exisitent 2 days later.

Such picky floofs!

Anyone else’s buns have expensive taste lol?

Participant

@Glenn: Haha, that’s so relatable! They’re such terribly picky characters 😆

My boyfriend’s previous rabbit Waffie was a very dainty lady who hated getting any dew or soil on her fur. She put one paw over the threshold to check the weather, and refused to go outside if the grass was still covered with dew. Then she spent minutes washing her slightly damp paw.

She would only eat doubly washed vegetables as well. If she detected any trace of soil she put her nose up at it. It didn’t matter that they’d been homegrown for her, she demanded cleanliness. Get scrubbing!

Breintje used to be a horrible fusspot about his hay. He would only eat very expensive herbal hay with dandelion in it, and only the choice bits of that. There was nothing wrong with his teeth or anything, he was just being a fussy bunny.

To let him eat more hay we gave him fewer pellets, but that didn’t work. We started to give him pellets only after he ate hay, but that just got us a very angry bunny.

When he had to eat less calcium for a urinary problem the dandelions were off the menu for a while. He protested and stopped eating hay for a week, until the vet put him back on it.

Owen and Molly are such a blessing in that regard: they happily eat the bulk brand, and a lot of it! My goodness, these two are little poop machines…

Participant

Our little girl Molly surprised us so much this week, up to the level of “pics or it didn’t happen”. She always was such a timid little thing and only wanted to be petted if she was sitting in a certain corner of her hutch. She just kept trying to groom everyone and everything because she was so insecure.

She loves to sit on the upturned crate that they use as a step to get up onto the sofa. This week Bas had seen her bow her head when he walked through the room, but she fled as soon as he got really close.

When I walked by on Saturday she bowed her head… and sat still to be petted! Not once, but 3 times that day… Who’d have thought it, our little girl actually presenting???

Presenting is something that more dominant rabbits do, and it’s quite a big step up for her. We still don’t know where she got the sudden courage from, but we’re very happy and so proud of her!

She’s also becoming less shy of showing affection towards us. This was her just after she’d groomed my ear while she sat on the backrest of the sofa ^_^

• ParsleyBun
                                                        Participant

<@Ellie from The Netherlands Ohhh so excited for Molly! My Carrotina is a little bit of a shy girl too.
                                                          @GlennTheLionhead My buns aren’t picky-except for the toys. It’s either they hate the toy or it’s ruined in 1 day. 🙄 At least they eat their hay and veggies nicely.

• DanaNM

Awww look at her! What a brave baby!

Participant

Argh, this is driving me up the wall! Sorry, but I have to vent with people who understand bunnies. A friend of mine is a very gentle soul who thinks the best of everyone. We’ve got the idea that she’s been massively duped by a shelter bonding service for the second time in a row now 🙁

She adopted a very young bunny who turned out to have PTSD, and decided to bond him to see if that stabilised his condition. At the shelter they bonded this young bunny to one of the oldest females that they had. She had a long coat, resisted any attempts at grooming and was aggressive. That was questionable enough, with the massive age difference and aggressive temper.

She didn’t get to enjoy her bunnies for a long time, and after many vet bills and lots of stress she lost them both.

She has a male bunny now and enrolled him for a bonding service again. This time they bonded him to an UNSPAYED doe, even though the shelter worker said that she was fixed. They noticed that she was unspayed because of her behaviour when the bunnies came home. The female is aggressively mounting the male all the time, and I’m very worried.

It’s crazy that they bonded a hormonal rabbit, and that she was still unspayed even though she was in a shelter. These people should know how dangerous it is for females to be intact. She isn’t the youngest bun either, so it’s a ticking timebomb. Then there’s a matter of cost: they charge €10 more for adopting a spayed rabbit, but I dare to bet that my friend’s vet charges a little more than a tenner.

The shelter put it down to “miscommunication” , but I think that this business smells. They’ve made some very questionable bondings twice now, and my friend is saddled with an aggressive rabbit again 🙁

• DanaNM

@Ellie OMG that is so frustrating! I hope things calm down with that bunny once she gets spayed and is in a stable home.

Participant

I just got the news today: the vet found her not too old to be spayed. Whew! She’s scheduled for the third week of February.

You know the anti-chewing tip that I posted here, rubbing surfaces with a clove of garlic because they hate the smell? Well, they’re not chewing anymore, they found out that they like the taste and started licking it… Actually licking it! I found out when Molly gave me a kiss and it had the unmistakable smell of garlic. We saw both of them licking the underside of the sofa today.

I’m never going to live this one down!

Friends make fun of me that I’m the local garlic queen. (Dutch people generally don’t eat foods with bold flavours or strong spices.) Everybody jokes that I put so much garlic in my food. (Apparently 1 clove pp is much for Dutch standards.) Still, they all want to stay for dinner and try out new dishes. I’ve introduced most of our friends to foods with chilli and garlic. And now I have 2 garlic loving bunnies 🙄 Back to the drawing board for a new chew repellent then…

• DanaNM

Oh that’s so funny about the garlic! I tried it out with Cooper and it’s worked a charm so far, hopefully he doesn’t develop at taste for it!

And great news Re: spaying!

• Azerane

The cats have fleas! 🙁 We noticed them getting itchy about 2 weeks ago, I checked their coats and couldn’t find a thing so put it down to their extreme summer shed this year. I’ve checked their coats intermittently since then and still found nothing. Today I checked Jasiri immediately after she licked her shoulder and I found a suspicious speck that I was hoping wasn’t flea dirt, it was. (You can actually test it easily on paper towel by adding a couple drops of water and it will turn red if it’s flea dirt.)

Needless to say I immediately went out and bought flea treatment, then I stripped the bed, put the bedding in the wash, and have just spent an hour thoroughly vacuuming the entire house except the bunny pen (that’s tomorrow’s job). Tomorrow I need to wash all their bedding and soft toys and the rabbit’s bedding.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to treat the rabbits yet. Ideally yes but I’m hoping treating the cats will be enough. I haven’t noticed the rabbits itching yet. At least Apollo is easy to check with his white fur 🙂

At the very least, since I struggled to find evidence of fleas it can’t be very bad just yet. It’s not like we’re getting bitten sitting on the couch or see fleas jumping around everywhere. It’s just the cats.

Participant

@Azerane: oh gross, that’s always such a cleanup 🙁 I hope that they’ve left the rabbits alone. Some rabbits have a very thick coat and the fleas have problems getting through.

• Azerane
                                                                        Moderator

Yes I’m dreading it. All the advice I’ve read says to vacuum every day for two weeks, that includes the two cat trees and the couches. No small job. I read that mixing salt and bicarb soda together and leaving in carpet for 12 hours kills the eggs, larvae and fleas, so I’m going to do that one room a day as well.

On the plus side, the cats are very relaxed today, to my amazement both sat still and calm while I ran through their coats with a flea comb. I didn’t find too much which is good.

I bought a separate comb for the rabbits to avoid cross contamination, had a hard time combing through their dense fur, but no signs of fleas that I could see. I’m tempted to treat them as a precaution but I’d rather wait a few days and see I think. I deep cleaned their pen today and washed all the cat bedding, soft toys and hand washed the patchwork quilt from the bed in the bath tub!

I’m thinking I’m going to have to spray the yard as a precaution as well since that’s the most likely source of the fleas from visiting cats. Will help prevent reinfection too.

I’m very worn out, lol.

• DanaNM
                                                                          Moderator

Gahhh such a bummer! Food grade diatomaceous earth also works well for carpets and bedding. Hopefully the bunnies were spared!

Participant

The perks of working from home, Bas had a lovely view this morning. The whole fluffle was lounging together:

We bought a new carpet last weekend because Molly had a slight irritation under her hock.

This carpet is much softer and much larger too. The buns have more space to socialise, and it’s so soft that I can sit on the floor for a couple of minutes without my joints hurting too much.

The bunnies love it: we’re seeing so many flops and binkies!

• GlennTheLionhead
                                                                                Participant

Awwwwh! Just look at those baby floofs <3

• ParsleyBun
                                                                                Participant

Bunny Guilt List.

I am guilty of every item on this list. (I wrote the list.) See how many you are guilty of!!!!!!!!

1. My planner has a bunny on it.
                                                                                  2. My calendar has a bunny on it.
                                                                                  3. My bunny(s) have a planner or journal.
                                                                                  4. My bunny(s) have a bunny binder.
                                                                                  5. I have received a pet store gift card for Christmas.
                                                                                  6. I own 12 or more articles of bunny themed clothing. (Socks, shirts, toboggans, etc.)
                                                                                  7. I have sent out ‘from the pets’ Christmas cards.
                                                                                  8. My bunny(s) have their own mini fridge.
                                                                                  9. My bunny(s) is/are the background on my phone.
                                                                                  10. I give my bunnies Christmas presents wrapped in beautiful paper and with pretty gift tags.
                                                                                  11. I have made my bunny a card for their birthday along with their presents.
                                                                                  12. I have made a bunny safe cake for their b-day.
                                                                                  13. I decorate their pen for the holidays.
                                                                                  14. I have bought a bag of litter for them that weighed over 25lbs.
                                                                                  15. I own multiple lint rollers.
                                                                                  16. I have sent homemade bunny treats to the bunny owners my dad works with.
                                                                                  17. I have received rabbit toys for Christmas 2 years in a row from someone I don’t live with.
                                                                                  18. I have gotten my bunny(s) a 4thof July gift.
                                                                                  19. I have a bunny mug.
                                                                                  20. I have over 110 bunny pictures on my phone.
                                                                                  21. I have 15 or more mats/blankets just for my bunnies.
                                                                                  22. I keep Easter décor up all year if it features a bunny.
                                                                                  23. I have a bunny water bottle.
                                                                                  24. I take rabbit fur with me when I go on a vacation.
                                                                                  25. I have kept a bunny dropping in my pocket for more than 5 hours.
                                                                                  26. I have 5 or more bunny Christmas ornaments.
                                                                                  27. The 1st toy put in my crib as a baby was a stuffed bunny.
                                                                                  28. I have more than one bunny toboggan.
                                                                                  29. I have a picture of myself as a small child in a tub/chest full of stuffed bunnies.
                                                                                  30. I have had a bunny-shaped cake for my birthday.
                                                                                  31. I have a bunny pillow.
                                                                                  32. I have a bunny tape measure.
                                                                                  33. I have a bunny bracelet.
                                                                                  34. I have a bunny notebook.
                                                                                  35. I have a bunny bath mat.

1-10 points

You either don’t own bunny or you have owned one for under 3 months. That’s the only way that score can be achieved. haha

11-20 points

You’re well on your way to being a bunny lover. Stay on track.

21-30 points

You’re almost to ‘crazy bunny lady/crazy bunny guy’ status. You’ll be there before you know it, fellow bunny lover. I speak from experience.

31-35 points

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and me are on a level playing field here. You’re bunny crazy crazy crazy, go ahead and admit it. 😂

• Bladesmith
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                    849 posts Send Private Message

I am not taking that quiz on the grounds it may incriminate me.

Participant

13, my lucky number! ^_^

• ParsleyBun
                                                                                        Participant

Don’t get me started on 13!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loveeeee the number 13! It’s the literal perfect number! I have this really weird theory that something really important will happen to you when you turn 13. Some people think it’s unlucky, but it’s not!!!!!!!

Just curious: What makes 13 special for you?

Participant

I was born on June 13th and became 13 on Friday the 13th ^_^

• ParsleyBun
                                                                                            Participant

Oh, that’s so cool! 🙂 I had a pappaw whose birthday would sometimes fall on Friday the 13th! But his 13th b-day fell on Wednesday.

• Azerane
                                                                                            Moderator

Phew! Just snuck in at 11 🤣 I don’t own many “things” with rabbits on them.

• GlennTheLionhead
                                                                                              Participant

I’m in at 13 points with that list!

I do have a few extra bonus crazy bun person things not on the list… I love bunny art and my coffee table coasters all have wild rabbits on them, same with my tea-coffee-sugar tins, a couple framed photos of the buns around- need to get a framed one of our new addition Bella! And I actually have 5 bunny mugs incl a travel mug … All bought as gifts!

I often find bunny hair in my lunches that I bring to work and I’ve found stands of hay in my coffee multiple times if that counts lol!

Another funny bunny parent this has got to be becoming acustom to handling bunny poop with your bare hands without even giving it a second thought!

Participant

Maybe it’s better to ask this question in the members only section of the forum. I have a question: can bunnies react aggressively to a woman’s cycle?

Suddenly, out of the blue, I got bitten by both Owen AND Molly yesterday! My sweet little Mollymolly who is so timid that she tries to be friends with the furniture… 😥

They both bit me high on the upper leg, almost in the same spot. They gave me a hard shove with their nose, and bit immediately afterwards 😥

Looking back, this is probably the first time I’ve been so near to them while “the communists are marching”.

They’re restless around me and suddenly hesitate to take treats. Has anyone ever heard of this behaviour before, or is it just a freak coincidence?

• DanaNM
                                                                                                  Moderator

How RUDE of them!

I think it’s prob more likely that Molly is hitting puberty, and Owen is picking up on her hormones? The timing checks out for sure with her age.

• ParsleyBun
                                                                                                    Participant

What is the members only section?

And I would say that you got bit twice on th same place because one bunny was biting the other’s scent.

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                      Moderator
                                                                                                      22338 posts Send Private Message

Yes, what is the members-only section? 😄

Im guessing it’s just a turn of phrase Ellie is using.

There probably has been discussions of buns reacting to human hormonal changes on here before. Although, I really only recall it more to do with human pregnancies. I guess the fluctuations in hormanes related to the cycle is more frequent and rabbits that do pick up on it just get used to it?

My lovely hormones had me suffering a migraine and throwing up last night. The only reaction from the rabbits was “well since you’re up at 4am, why aren’t you feeding us?” 🤷🏻‍♀️

I agree that Dana that it’s likely their hormones rather then yours. Do be aware when you come to letting be together again what impact your presence has though. Some bonds seem to go a bit awry when the human is not “neutral” in their view.

Viewing 36 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE January Chat