Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS I’ve tried all the toys I can afford, and nothing is working.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • aeri
      Participant
      20 posts Send Private Message

The only thing my two boys (unbonded) like to play with are grass mats and hay cubes. If they don’t have these they get bored, but considering they’re destroying these things in a single day, I can’t afford to keep a constant supply.

They have stacking cups, baby key ring, toilet paper tubes, a phone book, a crinkly tunnel, willow balls, apple sticks, timothy hay sticks, cardboard boxes, and plastic slinkies. But they don’t like any of those except the tunnel, which is just not enough to keep them entertained. When they’re bored, they chew up their carpet. They have a large space to run in, so at least that’s not an issue, but it still leaves them bored.

There was moderate success with some flavored balsa wood, but I can’t find any online that are available in bulk at the right size, and affordable.

What can I do? The carpet chewing is driving me nuts.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

I recommend cardboard cat scratchers for carpet chewing, and using heavy ceramic tiles to block the “hot spots” that they like to chew the most. I also have had really good success with the “snak shak” log for my most active buns. It lasts a long time because it’s super hard. I usually reserve mine so they can only access it during exercise time, to keep them from chewing my baseboards.

Also I’m not sure of your set up, but if they have carpet in their 24/7 enclosures, you may need to switch out their flooring to something safer, because if they are ingesting carpet it could cause a blockage. I have vinyl flooring in my bunnies’s pens. They have some textured versions at the hardware store that are pretty cheap (about .50 cents a sq foot). If you make sure the edges are outside their pen, they can’t chew on it. Then I put fleece blankets and grass mats on top for a bit of extra traction.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• aeri
          Participant

Thank you for the input Dana!

I’ve tried all kinds of cardboard including a cat scratcher. They didn’t care about it at all. lol

Just looked up the snak shak. If it’s classed as a treat, is it safe to let them have extended access to it? As in several hours?

Luckily I work from home so I’m with them the entire time they’re around the carpet. They aren’t ingesting it, just chewing up big holes and spitting it out. I’d remove it, but my floors are vinyl too and the poor things just slip and slide everywhere then end up not exercising like they should. I tried blankets and fleece but they chewed those too. And if I covered the hotspots, I wouldn’t be able to get in and out of their pen, otherwise I’d love to do that.

Really, the only thing I’ve been able to do is jump up as soon as they do it and push their pen wall back over where they just chewed, lessening their play space. It deters them, but only for a while, then they pick a new spot.

• DanaNM

The benefit of the fleece is that it is somewhat safer if it’s accidentally ingested. You could also do cardboard over the vinyl, which would definitely be safe (although not as nice to look at). Maybe you could cover the hot spots with tile, and then put cardboard on top?

The snak shak is technically a treat, but it’s mostly wood, and is super super hard. I get mine the large log shaped one, and it lasts two bunnies several weeks to go through. I usually give them access to it for several hours a day, when they are most active.

The other thing mine love are organic palm plates. I usually give my pairs 2 or 3 a week. They usually eat the whole thing in 12-24 hours.

One other thing, is you can get these cardboard tubes at hardware stores, sold as concrete building forms. Once you peel away the thin plastic lining they safe because they are just cardboard, and my bunnies have all loved them. You can cut little holes in them and stuff them with paper and the buns will work on “expanding” the tunnel system.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Cinnimon&Ollie
              Participant
              300 posts Send Private Message

Dollar tree as cat scratchers which makes them very affordable

• LBJ10
                16869 posts Send Private Message

I’m still suggesting phone books… but I know that are pretty much non-existent now.

• DanaNM

Ohhhh the other thing my bunnies really like chewing cardboard egg cartons! I’ve heard it’s not hygienic to use ones that have had eggs in them, but you can order clean ones in bulk for cheap!  You can also throw some pellets in them for an enriching toy. 🙂

• aeri
                    Participant

Thank you guys so much for the suggestions! I really like the cardboard egg carton suggestion especially.

I was so excited when we actually got a phone book in the mail. Can’t believe they don’t care about it at all. I’ve also discovered that they’re chewing the wooden frame around the door, so the sooner I can find something that’ll work, the better.

It’s a huge shame the hay cubes shot up in price as soon as I found them. 🙁

• LBJ10
                        16869 posts Send Private Message

I would always place the phone book on the floor with it open (somewhere in the middle of the book). They loved tearing the pages.

• DanaNM

Oh! You can also get untreated pine planks and attach them to the wall where you baseboards are. Then they can chew on those instead of the baseboards! I think there is some info on that in the “bunny proofing” section  under “rabbit info”. Some buns really like to have something solid and anchored to sink their chompers into.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS I’ve tried all the toys I can afford, and nothing is working.