Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Itchy ear

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • auntie
      Participant
      92 posts Send Private Message

My Lionhead which is mixed with Rex has been scratching his ear and shaking his head afterwards but not for very long.

I just had his nails trimmed because they were really long so i thought he scratched himself too hard and hurt himself. When I gently pat behind that ear he acts like it hurts,

I took my flashlight from my phone today and looked in his ear and there is blackish stuff  in there and it looks soar.
        I called my vet and they recommended I take a q-tip with peroxide on it and try to see if that helps he really didn’t let me.

I have made an appointment for this Friday to take him in.

in the mean time what are your thoughts on using olive oil?

I have attached some photos of my rabbits ear. Hopefully you can see what I am referring to. You may have to zoom in

also it’s only 1 ear that is the problem

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

That looks like it could be the start of ear mites. It can be very painful so I would not recommend trying to remove anything. Best to wait till Friday and get the mite treatment from your vet. Standard treatments are topical ivermectin or selamectin based products, such as Revolution.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• auntie
          Participant

How would he get ear mites when he is an indoor bunny.

We have 2 other bunnies downstairs and completely away from him with no contact.

Is the treatment expensive

• DanaNM

Sometimes they can have them and not have symptoms for a long time, or it could have come from the other buns, it’s very contagious.

No, the treatment is not expensive, they will likely have you just treat all of your buns with Revolution.

I am not a vet, so I’m not saying it’s 100% ear mites. Just saying it looks like it could be, so I wouldn’t attempt to remove the crusts until a vet looks at it. If it is in fact ear mites, removing the crusts is very painful for the rabbit and shouldn’t be done (they fall off naturally once the mites are killed).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

Topical treatments are relatively inexpensive. But yes, you’ll probably want to be proactive and treat all your bunnies. Ear mites can be transferred by other materials, they don’t necessarily have to have direct contact.

It’s hard to tell from the pictures, but I agree that it looks like it could be ear mites. Regardless, I would not try to remove the crusts.

PSA – Do not use any products containing fipronil. Although effective against parasites, it is toxic to rabbits.

• auntie
                Participant

Thank you all.

I checked my other rabbits ears and didn’t see anything. Also they are not itching their ears.

I feel so bad because I can tell he is hurting 😞

• auntie
                  Participant

Okay so the vet confirmed my baby bunny did in fact have ear mites in his right ear.

My poor bunny had quite the weekend. I put his carrier with him in it on the vet table and when the vet opened the carrier he freaked out jumped out of the carrier and he and the carrier went flying in the air and they landed upside down on the floor. Thank goodness my bunny didn’t get hurt. The vet stepped out of the room for my bunny to calm down.mi then picked him up put him back in the carrier. The vet tried looking at his ear but my bunny wouldn’t allow and the vet was concerned my bunny would hurt himself. So my bunny end up getting fixed a month early in order for the vet to look at his ear.
                    the vet did give him revolution. I also treated the other 2.  I have to for 10 days put drops (antibiotics) in his right ear twice a day and it’s not fun

than you all for the information

• DanaNM

Oh my goodness! Poor little guy, that is very lucky he wasn’t injured in that fall!

Wishing him an uneventful recovery!

• Bam
                      16878 posts Send Private Message

Thank goodness he wasn’t hurt! Your vet seems understanding though, that is great.

It’s not fun at all to have to medicate a bun. His ear is probably tender and painful now which makes him hate the drops extra. Hopefully the antibiotics will kick in quickly so the drops don’t hurt so much when you apply them.

• auntie
                        Participant

I felt so bad 😞

my bunny has hissed at me, growled, lunged at me and bit me the evening that I got him home and had to do a 2nd round of drops. He also got mad at me Sunday. Yesterday was a struggle but today not so bad.
                          After I give him the drops I give him a treat so that way he will hopefully remember that after he gets his drops he gets a treat.

• Bam
                          16878 posts Send Private Message

They can really be very difficult!

Putting up a fight is considered a good sign though, a bun that just sits there and takes his meds is a bit of an observandum (unless the bun is a particularly sweet bun or chronically ill. Chronically ill buns eventually learn to take meds and can be quite cooperative after a while).

Poor little guy! Maybe you could ask for some meloxicam (anti inflammatory pain med) if it seems the drops hurt him very much. But if he just hates being restrained and handled, pain meds wouldd probably not make a difference.

A treat after is a good idea. A treat before can also be a good idea, because if he is willing to take one, eating it could be calming.

• auntie
                            Participant

Okay I’ll try giving him a treat before and after.

thank yo all again for suggestions, information, and get wells

• DanaNM

Poor little guy. And yes to treats! I always reserve the extra special “high value” treats (like tiny pieces of dried strawberries or cranberries) for after particularly hated things, like nail trims or giving meds!

• LBJ10
                                16908 posts Send Private Message

Aww, poor thing! It’s hard to know if the ear drops are hurting him. Sometimes they just REALLY dislike the feeling of something going in their ear. I agree that high value treats are the way to make it better.

• auntie
                                  Participant

My little guy is all better now!

no more mites and he has been fixed.

• Wick & Fable
                                    5782 posts Send Private Message

That’s so great to know! Thanks for updating.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Itchy ear